[RELEASE] Red1: Poisoned lands

Started by Merlijn, 20 October 2013, 17:34:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Strange things are happening. A giant alien fleet is orbiting Mars, and attempts to communicate with these mysterious ships have failed so far. Meanwhile, weird things start to happen at earth at well. A giant part of the deserted lands outside of Los Angeles seems to have been cut off from the rest of the world. You're sent in to search the area and find out what's happening..

After driving through the endless desert for hours, you start to feel more and more nervous. Something feels wrong, something is watching you. Vague cries can be heard, barely, in the distance. Then, without a clear reason, your car breaks down. When you enter a nearby building to call for help, the sound of a tremendous explosion rips through the air. You turn around to see the burning wreckage of your car.. And suddenly, you can see them. The hidious faces. Swarms of Pig cops coming from every direction, pointing their shotguns at you, ready to fire...

A brand new map: this is a remake, loosely based on the old red1, but bigger and more ambitious. Get ready for a dark adventure!

CGS - Review/Download

-Merlijn

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sanek

Hooray! So glad to see it released!!  :)
It's a great map! I've already played in it, but I played it once more to give you more complete opinion. :)

Puritan

A kick ass map with a very nice ambiance to it.  :)

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Whoah, can't believe it's been 8 years since Red 5!

Anyway, had fun with the map: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotred1.php
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Sanek

Well, here's my review...

So, after more than 7 years (!) of developing Merlijn, author of more than an impressive Red map series, released a remake of the very first entry.

The level begins in a small shop, which is surrounded by the monsters. This immediately sets the right tone for the entire map - you are in a state of siege, and your goal is to get out of a dangerous place, and then begin to explore the area. This map is fairly easy in terms of playing, despite the limited number of weapons. Enemies is placed quite effectively, and there enough health packs, so you will not get stuck in some places.

In terms of design the map looks great! Merlijn's style has not changed since the release of his latest solo map (Red 5, 2005), and it's very good! In the first part of the map you have to go round in a fairly compressed space (for an outdoor map), but then you find yourself in a huge open area, which is done simply amazing. There are also more worth mentioning places such as a broken bridge, a restaurant and the aliens area.

In general, there are none any shortcomings, except for the general similarity to other maps done by Merlijn. We saw it all in the Red 3 and 5, and even in relatively recent map Clear the Coast.But anyway, Red 1 can be called one of the best maps released this year! Don't miss it !

If I can give to this map any score, I'll give it 95 (of 100)!

Forge

if i'd seen this earlier i could have saved my time of writing a review. especially since we both gave it the same score.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Well, nothing wrong with a dual review. Is it?  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

Quote from: MSandt on  20 October 2013, 19:23:53
Whoah, can't believe it's been 8 years since Red 5!

what the fuck, i still remember pretty much everything about the day it was released, the hype around the map, everyone's expectations, people going berzerk posting comments on AMC, the MSDN review and all. eight years is almost a decade, time flies way too fast, do constructive things out of your life spans people !

Micky C

That's me convinced. As of this moment I'll stop all Duke mapping.

:P
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Quote from: Forge on  21 October 2013, 21:33:22
if i'd seen this earlier i could have saved my time of writing a review. especially since we both gave it the same score.

For what it's worth: I really enjoyed reading your review (and Saneks review too of course). ;)

Also thanks to Mikko of course, for another well written review. :)

I can see why this one scored a bit lower then the older maps, I realize it's not as revolutionary or unique as red5 for instance. However, I personally think it features my best work in terms of indoor/outdoor design, lay-out and progression.
what the fuck, i still remember pretty much everything about the day it was released, the hype around the map, everyone's expectations, people going berzerk posting comments on AMC, the MSDN review and all. eight years is almost a decade, time flies way too fast, do constructive things out of your life spans people !

Yeah, time flies! Sometimes, I wish I still was a bit younger haha. The AMC days were great.

Forge

it's worth alot
now gimme my free calculated tickets

Gambini

QuoteI can see why this one scored a bit lower then the older maps, I realize it's not as revolutionary or unique as red5 for instance. However, I personally think it features my best work in terms of indoor/outdoor design, lay-out and progression.

Snap! Gambini doesn´t want to live in a world where this map scores lower than "The Edge" and "Quantum Physics" (without forgetting Project Zero).

MSandt

Well sorry homie but I felt those particular maps were innovative whileas Red, while brilliantly designed, was rehashing an old formula. Times change.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

how is The Edge innovative? Other than a couple tricks, like the cave room with the rain and the expanding/contracting keyboards in the piano room, this map is not much more creative than 2bizzare or some of eddy's other "existential" maps.

Merlijn

Have you played the entire map, Gambini? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. :)