[RELEASE] DNF 2013 MOD DLC CONTENT

Started by DavoX, 21 November 2013, 23:42:10

Previous topic - Next topic

DavoX

DNF 2013 MOD DLC PACK!
By
Micky C and DavoX
The time has come! We're Finally releasing this pack of levels for the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 mod!

Micky C and I have been working hard on these set of levels since the release of the original mod (Made by Gambini and Mikko Sandt) and we hope you get to enjoy it.

This pack includes:

3 all new maps:
   - "Ready for Action", Micky C's awesome take on the scenes from the 1998 trailer and more!
   - "Born to be wild", Adrenaline packed map with JUST motorcycle action!
   - "Time to kick ass", The Ultimate Stadium Remake is finally here!

2 new original Music Tracks!   
   - Grabbag rendition by Cursed Lemon Specially reworked for this mod!
   - Mike Norvak's special theme for the ultimate stadium remake, all original and exclusive for this mod as well!

Please visit their respective youtube channels by clicking on their names, they're insanely good!

Also a new Shotgun! :D

Here is the link to download the DLC content, just extract the contents on a fresh DNF 2013 MOD folder, remember to have your duke3d.grp in there as well.

DLC CONTENT:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a044gcvlr6vd0ak/DNFDLC.zip

Original MOD:
http://msdn.duke4.net/DNF.zip

CGS - Review / Download

Hope you enjoy it and leave your comments and thoughts!

Sanek

I've saw some screenshots from Micky's map, and well, at least I'm interested to play in this pack! Can't wait to do it!
Also I can write a review if Forge is busy...

Forge

go for it
i've been trying to get through the Duke 64 mod; at one, maybe two maps a day it's taking awhile to finish all four episodes
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Sanek

Weeeeell, here's my review, in clumsy english:

It seems that today well-known mappers Micky C and DavoX given us something very big! DLC Pack represents the assembly of 3 maps, created for the recently acclaimed DNF 2013 mod.

In each of the three maps the authors made maximum emphasis on action, and by its gigantic scale, they can be compared only to that ones of the original mod or with AMC TC. But let look at it in order:

The first one, "Ready for Action" represents the realization of a more detailed version of what we saw in the trailer DNF circa 1998. Maybe in terms of details this map loses to the rest of the maps in the pack, but in terms of action, it's on par with the rest. You have a pretty good start at the club, and after a thrilling motorcycle ride you find yourself inside the EDF base, occupied by aliens.

The second map, "Born to be wild" captures you from the very first seconds by its intensive atmosphere. The case is that you will spend all your time on our beloved bike! With a gorgeous soundtrack, graceful flight over the roofs of buildings and constant explosions around you, the author creates a great feeling of almost cinematic action. If you like  adrenaline-packed maps, you shouldn't miss this one!

The last map, "Time to kick ass", probably one of the best maps we've seen this year! At the end of the map you have a classic battle with the Cycloid Emperor at the stadium, but before the match begins, you have to go through the architecturally perfect "lobby". This map, exactly like the previous one, was made ​​so perfectly that I played them twice before writing this review.  :)

All in all, DLC Pack represents a clear exampleof how not only the maps for global TC's, but even the regular maps have to look. I don't know about you, but I'm definitely going to try to achieve the same level of entertainment (my last map, Bridge Between Two Islands was just a warm-up  ;D) . These pack can be called one of the best (if not the very best!) releases of this year, which means that it can have the highest rate!

97/100! from me :)

Micky C

It feels mighty weird to have the pack praised but have most of the praise directed to the other 2 maps all the time  :P

Still, it's to be expected, Davox is a much more experienced mapper and his maps really are probably the closest we can get to perfection for what he's trying to achieve. I'm just glad people are enjoying mine a bit as well, and hopefully no one gets so horribly put off by my map that they quit before they get to Davox's haha!!
Wall whore.

Puritan

If anyone could submit some screenshots I could upload it too  :)
Between 6-9 pcs would be perfect.

I only got one good arm these days, so I'm not able to take 'em myself.
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Puritan

Cursed Lemons version of Grabbag is kick ass!  8)
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  23 November 2013, 10:09:19
It feels mighty weird to have the pack praised but have most of the praise directed to the other 2 maps all the time  :P
don't feel too bad. sections of my maps were constantly being called, "almost, but not quite as good as Gambini's". I think he got more credit for my work than i did (which is fine 'cause they're sucky levels  ;D)

Quote from: Puritan on  23 November 2013, 11:13:54
I only got one good arm these days, so I'm not able to take 'em myself.
legend of the one armed panty bandit

Forge

i'm playing it now. just finished the first level. if nobody gets you screenshots, i should have some for you Sunday night/Monday morning

in the mean time - for my own amusement - getting into the back ground in one of several accessible locations

and another from level 2

[attachment deleted by admin]

Forge

it was pretty fun from start to finish
i think the combination of DavoX's insane skill at detailing and architecture combined with the rather bland outdoor area around the bar of the first level is the factor that draws people to praise the later part of the DLC. Aside from that initial outdoor area the first level is rather atmospheric and well done.

the first level has nice wide open spaces and alot of room to explore around. aside from the area outside the club that felt boxed in and barren, the river basin really gave it a nice sense of depth
the second level was an epic motorbike ride. very exciting from start to finish
the third level was superb in detailing. the interlinking corridors and constant action, even while backtracking, made it seem like it was larger than it really was

DavoX

Quote from: Forge on  24 November 2013, 05:15:12
i'm playing it now. just finished the first level. if nobody gets you screenshots, i should have some for you Sunday night/Monday morning

in the mean time - for my own amusement - getting into the back ground in one of several accessible locations

and another from level 2

Heh, do you like the scared couple in the department? :P

Micky C

Heh, didn't notice the couple. It's a nice touch!

Quote from: Forge on  24 November 2013, 21:35:56
it was pretty fun from start to finish
i think the combination of DavoX's insane skill at detailing and architecture combined with the rather bland outdoor area around the bar of the first level is the factor that draws people to praise the later part of the DLC. Aside from that initial outdoor area the first level is rather atmospheric and well done.

the first level has nice wide open spaces and alot of room to explore around. aside from the area outside the club that felt boxed in and barren, the river basin really gave it a nice sense of depth
the second level was an epic motorbike ride. very exciting from start to finish
the third level was superb in detailing. the interlinking corridors and constant action, even while backtracking, made it seem like it was larger than it really was

Yeah I've heard other people describe the area outside the strip club as a let down. The only thing I regret is that the area doesn't quite make sense: why are there these rock walls in the middle of this city or whatever it is? Although the strip club and surrounding area was the first thing I built and back then I wasn't mapping seriously and had no idea what I wanted to do next. Then I didn't have the motivation or imagination to create a more realistic surrounding.

But I didn't think it was that bad? I mean with the spinning UFOs and their beaming down rays, and the somewhat subtle, 'realistic' uneven terrain I thought it was acceptable. At least the map does get better as it goes on, as opposed to ending with a rather bad area (let's just forget that the ending to the first map was actually made pretty quickly :P )
Wall whore.

DavoX

No one said it's bad, I don't know where you get that idea, most of the people commenting on the mod had good comments about your map micky! And the ones that don't are usually about a couple error that are fixed now.

Forge

there's no changing it now. it is what it is.
having a biker bar out in the middle of nowhere is legitimate, but having it boxed in on all four sides by high cliff walls is what killed it aesthetically. I think it would have been better to have had an open view over the river blocked off with a fence and gate styled design instead of a tunnel.

DavoX

Maybe it's EDF private strip club for holidays xD