[RELEASE] Hibernal Solstice

Started by ck3D, 06 December 2013, 06:00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

ck3D

Download link and screenshots : http://forums.duke4.net/topic/6995-release-hibernal-solstice/#entry177633

'Hi, here is my newest offering called Hibernal Solstice, along with the maps I made for the Metropolitan Mayhem episode this is one of the quickest levels I have made, I only spent three days on it. It is a basic city map with fairly minimalistic detailing, the main idea is that even though it is based around a small block with very few amenities you get to use time machines / teleporters to visit it several times in different contexts, I hope you like it and find it fun to play. I would say that it is of easy / medium difficulty and a full playthrough should take you between 10 and 20 minutes of your time.

I attached screenshots because I know some people find it convenient to get a glimpse of what they are about to download but really the shots kind of suck because there isn't much fanciness to display, the map is all about sheer fun. I hope you will like it.'

CGS - Download

Forge

it was fun enough. i understand the simplicity of the design, but you let one slip this time.

two aspects you failed to take advantage of and it really wouldn't have required more than minor adjustments:

the basic ambiance of the buildings could have shifted more dramatic - you could have gone from rock & wood, to brick & steel (new), to brick and steel (old and worn), to futuristic steel & plastic - or some such changes

changes in one timeline could have made changes in another timeline. Blow up a wall in the past to get at something in the future -or some such puzzle
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

ck3D

yeah MetHy also pointed out over at duke4 how changes in one timeline could have made changes in another timeline, that could have worked well too but in all honesty this level is just something quick i did because i felt like mapping on the go without putting too much thought into it, then it came to the point where i eventually thought i would post screenshots and release it, like whatever. i think the most representative section of that in the map is the hub with the teleporters, i mean it's just a giant X, for a more ambitious project i would have made an entire base / EDF headquarters, and generally just put a lot more effort into everything (be it design-wise or as far as the concept goes) but by the time i was done with the first street section i was already feeling a tad over it

Puritan

He-he....what a mess  :)
I liked it.
A short but fun little map.
It was an epic ending, at least for me.( I wont spoil it for new players though. I'll get back to you  with my "solution" after a while)

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

But.....I'd never thought I would say this to you, Aymeric:
But you fell for the good ol' oversize syndrome in places  ;D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

makes for a good change from those old cramped maps of mine i bet !

i am glad you enjoyed the last battle, it is my favorite section of the map as well as the second half in general where things start to pick up, cycloid battles in a lotag 3 environment where the boss is free to roam around are especially underrated

Forge

i spoiled the ending battle for myself. i walked around the corner, seen it immediately, and pounded the shit out of it with RPG rounds. It started coming at me, but didn't live long enough to reach the first lamp post.

Puritan

I made him commit suicide  ;D
I lured him to the wooden fence by the "backyard" and jumped up to the ledge.
From there I teased him with pistol and freezer.
He was trapped in the opening into the backyard and everytime I shot him he got bananas and fired off rocket after rocket that exploded in his face  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Lol, without looking at the review here beforehand, I came up with the exact same score: http://msdn.duke4.net/hothibernal.php
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Fernando

Before I write my small comment, a little hello to everyone here. It's been a long time since I've registered here, so I'll make it quick. :)

I really liked the map indeed, even though there is no much variation between each respective time, it was a very well designed level. Glad to see levels are still being made, and not in small quantities.

Puritan

Welcome aboard, Fernando  :)
Now, get on with mapster32 please  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Fernando

I am into that... 1/11 maps is at least something to begin with. ;)

ck3D

great to see you on here, posting again. welcome back ! glad you liked the map as well.

Micky C

Finally played it. It was alright, can't really say anything that hasn't been said already. Obviously it felt like it was drawn out pretty artificially, what with the copy-pasted areas, and then especially with that button hunt. Pretty average city map (maybe slightly below average in terms of layout and overall design) but otherwise mildly fun and a good way to kill 15 minutes. Gameplay was pretty balanced as well and combat was enjoyable, except I didn't like how that battlelord near the end was hidden behind the flames. Maybe some people would find that different or interesting but not me, I hate it when I don't know where I'm being fired from, and the battlelord has a pretty powerful and constant attack. Also the trip mines near the end were kind of pointless since they wouldn't stick on many walls, the boss probably wouldn't be close enough to the wall to take much damage, and finally it's not a wise idea stopping and hanging around walls placing mines when the cycloid is firing a wide spread of rockets at you (which even if they miss you directly still hit the walls and cause splash damage).

Definitely a good map for the 3 days you put into making it. There must be a lot of shorter maps out there that took a lot longer to make. I enjoyed your Metropolitan Mayhem maps a fair amount more though, not that I didn't enjoy this, just that overall it's not that memorable IMO.

Like what everyone at Duke4.net has been saying, it would have been nice to properly implement the time travel aspect as a core part of the gameplay. E.g you go back in time and destroy a door then you return to the present and you can now enter that building. Or you need some explosives for a crack and there's none in the present, but you either know where some were in the past, or when some will arrive in the future then go collect them. That, and some much larger differences in the time frame, maybe a few decades, and possibly even a future where the area has been completely converted into an alien hive or something after earth has been conquered.
But like what I've said before, maybe it's a good thing that you didn't go full on with all that because it then leaves room for another mapper (not me) to take the idea further.
Wall whore.

Forge

glad to see Fernando's alive and didn't get swallowed up by the ground in an earthquake or buried in a volcanic explosion