[RELEASE] ACB Studios by Ancient Coffee Bean

Started by methy, 21 December 2013, 15:29:33

Previous topic - Next topic

methy

I did not make this map. It was made by Ancient Coffee Bean and so far only uploaded on Steam so I thought I'd share it here.

It's his first map and it's really good, you should play it.

Original page with desciption and screenshots :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=205698980

Mirror download link for people who don't have the Steam version of Duke3D (can't upload it here due to 2mb limit) :
EDIT : version of the map updated by the author, link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/hflw1q

My 'review' written as comments director to the author:

Just beat the map, played on Come Get Some and it took me 16 mins and I found 5 secrets out of 8.

I like it a lot. Design was slick, detailed just enough, with a really good choice of colours and textures. The semi non linear layout was interesting as well and quite Duke Nukem 3D-ish as you often had the choice between several paths to take (like, using vents) to get to the next place.

Gameplay was quite good as well and very progressive. So progressive though, that if you take the wrong path first at the start you'll find yourself out of ammo quickly. I died once, tried another path and it went better. I really liked your use of Pigtanks as the player was forced to shoot at them instead of being able to use the "push the nuke button on their back" trick, few mappers have used pigtanks like that and it's quite refreshing.

However, the last battle was a bit dull as once you find the code and enemies respawn outside, the Commanders will shoot rocket at you while you're trying to go through the VERY slow rotating door. So what I did to kill them was shoot rockets at them from inside, when they were close to the windows glass. It was nice that the 4 pillars would explode during the fire fight with the 2 BLords, but in comparaison using the trick I just mentionned to kill the Commanders and not seeing the windows break was a big contrast (but I understand why they don't break, so that the player has to use the code to get out; but then again the code could have opened shutters instead but in THAT case you would only see the outdoor area when found the code which is a shame). However that's nothing too major, just nitpicking.

I downloaded the map on Steam but played it using eDuke32 so not only the shading was good contrary to Megaton, but I also got the music intended for the map since you included it in the zip which was very nice.

All in all a really good map, and a great first map from a new mapper which shows that Megaton has succeeding in bringing new faces to the DN3D mapping community.
For a first map, your style is really great. There is some obvious influence from famous mappers (like the viewscreens being mirrors as well), but nothing to complain about, you took that influence but made your own unique style.

I hope you make more!

P.S : 3 more little things which are pretty much nitpicking ;
- I didn't understand why the windows of the cars looked like they did to me. They didn't look like in your screenshot above but instead were all weird.
-In the main office of the studio with all the computers, there is a hidden button on a computer screen that opens up a wall that contains a holoduke. It is however possible to see that button from the other side of the computer.
-After beating the 2 BattleLords I found the secret in the wall with the atomic health. Except that I remained stuck inside! I couldn't open the wall again, I tried the wall itself, the button and the phone... Nothing. I had to use DNCLIP.

EDIT : Turns out the cars and the buttons are fine in megaton so it's a glitch with the version of eduke32 i was using.

CGS - Download

[attachment deleted by admin]
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Gambini

I like the screens, show clever architecture for most sides.

Forge

Quote from: methy on  21 December 2013, 15:29:33
My 'review' written as comments director to the author:
you should slap a score and a few screenshots on that so it can get bunged to the site instead of waiting on my slow ass to get around to it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

zykoveddy

Stunning.

This map feels like a breath of fresh air. In terms of architecture and design, this is probably one of the best releases of 2013. The map is filled with fresh, cool ideas. On the other hand, the gameplay is nothing special, but it works.
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Gambini

And from what I understand this map wouldn´t have been here if it wasnt by the workshop. Maybe it´s time to open our minds and welcome the megaton edition community to ours (not without the anal rape initiation provided by Forge).

methy

The author just updated the map with the comments I made, therefore quite a few of them are irrelevant now.

I've updated the download link in the first post with the new (last) version of the map.

I've also sent a review to Forge, review taking into account the changes just made. It was hard to give a score, I tried to base myself by comparing with scores of other maps on this site. I genuinelly believe this map is REALLY good though, especially after playing it a 2nd time in the updated version and thinking about it a lot for the review. It's a map that understands everything that makes Duke3D great and that does a good job at doing just that.

Edit : and yeah Gambini is right. i've spoke with the Ancient Coffee Bean and he's told me he got back into Duke thanks to Megaton. Megaton is now everything I dreamt of AND more.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

very nice review. i'll put it together with the other necessary files and get it submitted. thank you.

Quote from: Gambini on  21 December 2013, 20:08:17
(not without the anal rape initiation provided by Forge).
a little ass-play is a great cure for constipation

methy

Be sure to download the latest version either from the link above or the steam page.

I was so blown away by everything that was good about the map that I just realized I forgot to mention in the review that it's a LITTLE cramped at times, but it's nothing major anyway.

Forge

i attached the latest map and made the suggested grammatical corrections, but it was submitted before i noticed your latest observation about cramped locations.
if it's not a major factor in game play it can probably go without saying, but it's not too late if you'd like to make changes

Ancient Coffee Bean

Created an account here just to say thanks for all the feedback, I didn't expect people to like my map this much.
I learned alot about mapster when making this, hope to create more, can't really fix the somewhat crampedness of the map but I can be sure not to make that mistake next time.

Forge

welcome aboard.
i'm under constant barrage from demands due to the holidays, even though i have time to banter on the forum, i really don't have a good block where i can sit and play a map at one go.
I do plan on playing this, the review and screen shots make it look real interesting, and i'll give proper feedback afterwards.

Gambini

Don´t forget the initiation!

Welcome aboard buddy!

Puritan

Welcome aboard  :)

Thanks to methy for a nice review.
The map is uploaded and I wrote a small news update and a note on the front page.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

methy

Damn I made a typo in the review. It's ACB Studio, not ABC Studio, can you fix it please?  :P

also I don't understand why it says it requires HRP in the "author map by this author" section
Also it doesn''t require eduke32 either, it works in jonof and megaton too, just not in vanilla, but it probably says that for every map in that case

Puritan

Quote from: methy on  21 December 2013, 21:48:40
Damn I made a typo in the review. It's ACB Studio, not ABC Studio, can you fix it please?  :P

Damn!
I did the same mistake myself when building the review page  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise