Project: ARES (WIP)

Started by reflex17, 01 February 2014, 12:52:10

Previous topic - Next topic

reflex17

Project: Ares is the new working title of Mars Base episode, these maps are ancestors to three long-lost maps I made around '98 with a similar theme, being heavily influenced by Robert Travis' Moonbase BETA TWO map. This new form of the campaign has been slow going, but I still have a great deal of concept ideas for future levels, so I will post any major updates in this thread.

To make up for lost time, here's a bunch of screens from the first half of map02

CURRENT STATUS - 50% complete more updates soon :)

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Some of those, the med-lab especially, remind me of Dark Forces - though with higher detail level of course. Good, if I get time when this is released I shall definitely be trying it out.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

When I saw the first shot I was like "meh", but the more I looked down the more I liked it. Looking forward to release!
Wall whore.

reflex17

Puritan: Is a good sign! :D

Treason: I saw your post in 'other games' about your LP of Dark Forces, made me smile ;D That game in particular is huge inspiration for these maps, I was blown away as a kid how expansive the levels in DF were compared to Doom etc... I'm using the old .art files that contain Dark Forces textures as I'm sure you can see, and I've also tried to adopt a similar design idea... angled walls make anything look futuristic lol

Micky C: hahaha  ;D oh and the word 'meh' reminded me that I've tried to secretly put the letter M in the levels in secret ways, like that first screen for example :D

reflex17

Making some good progress the last few days, I'm down to the last few areas of the level. Approx 80-85% complete.

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Second that.
Nice touch that 'Mars window'.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Some interesting locations for sure!
Wall whore.

reflex17

Hey thx for the comments y'all :) The map is almost more than 7 years to arrive, so I'm trying my best to make a worthy experience!

reflex17

Hello everyone, I hope this message finds you well. I apologize for my absence from the community, around 2014-2015 I had a HD crash where I lost a few weeks of work of updating Delta Station map. I had changed a few things based on feedback and made a bunch of camera screens for storyline stuff, with all the hundreds of sprites/resizing that goes with that, and when I lost the updated map I got very discouraged and stepped away from mapping completely for awhile. 

Recently though, I downloaded the map again because I remember that without HD pack, some of the switches are not properly made relative to the wall, some details are broken etc. Sometime soon I would like to at least make the map look/function properly with a basic updated version for the site. After that maybe I can think about working on a sequel, we'll see.

Again I just wanted to take a moment to log in and say hi to the forum, and all the best in the new year.

EDIT: I would have edited my earlier posts in this thread to remove the broken pictures, it appears the chance to modify is expired however. Please feel free to remove the broken links if you like.