Anyone remember some of these 1990s user maps.

Started by Tgreyhair, 02 February 2014, 23:05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgreyhair

Here's me doing a lets play of some of my favorite user maps. (Please forgive me for the sound being a bit low on some of the videos as technology and I don't get on)  :D

Lets play user maps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MigYP4GDyP4&list=UU0l0OZnXEhKBNNENqYylj5g&feature=c4-overview

MSandt

"Aliens" was probably the second ever usermap I played.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Tgreyhair

I think these were from the 500 map collection if I remember correctly. I liked the end part to this map where you had to keep finding switches to open doors that had a lot bad guys hidden waiting to destroy duke.

ck3D

my internet currently sucks and won't let me watch videos so i could only see the video titles with the map names and damn, what a throwback already. i remember slumcity, it was one of the first user maps i ever played, except i think mine was labeled as slumcity2.map or something ? it came on a 1000 map compilation for me (as well as three identical copies of the file under slightly different names - scumcity2.map etc.). since i can't watch the video i can't tell whether or not it is the same map but i remember being very impressed with the multiple story building (pulling off proper sector over sector was for the grown men back then) and that one one-way window the author implemented in order to block the sight of overlapping sectors so that the game wouldn't draw the HOM effect. i think it took me months (or years ?) to realize that it was a simple one-way masked wall, they used to confuse the hell out of me back then

Tgreyhair

Hi everyone

I think the map Discrete is there too one of my favorites maps back in the day.

Nancsi

I definately remember Slumcity, Oasis and Reactor. They are not very good maps, but were a little bit better than those awful hackworks that flooded those level pack CDs. I think Slumcity is the map when I first realized that the Battlelord can be shrunk.

I remember other ancient maps as well. Aqua series (which were pretty good in their time), Duke Prox, Lunar1 (a notably scary looking space map), Anarchy, Sand etc etc.

Puritan

Quote from: Nancsi on  08 February 2014, 12:49:49
I remember other ancient maps as well. Aqua series (which were pretty good in their time), Duke Prox, Lunar1 (a notably scary looking space map), Anarchy, Sand etc etc.

I got a few maps named Lunar 1, Lunar 2...etc but they're all crap.
Would have been interesting to know which Lunar 1 you're referring to, Nancsi  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

methy

Oh I remember Slumcity ! But I got it from a different source, from 1996 to 1998 I got all my usermaps from a french PC maganize special issues that came every 3 months. It was a pretty cool magazine which had 3 CDs, with each time one about 70-100 video game demos, one with tons of shareware, one with 3 older full games. It's this same magazine which made me discover Duke3D as it an issue came with a demo of the shareware version.
Yes, a demo of the shareware. It had the 3 first stages which I remember playing in 320*200 at the video settings set to low, looked like this but in fullscreen : 

Anyway I still remember Slumcity by heart. It used to be one of my favourites back then, with also a map which I think was called City II, it was set in a city on an island and it had some cool stuff like a boat you could get into as well as scalfolding around a building. I thought I got City II to be uploaded on DNR but I can't see it there anymore... Perhaps someone else has this map? I remember sending it to both Mikko and MRCK.

Anyway this brings me back, it's just a shame you play and record the videos using the HRP :P

Edit : also another map I really liked from those CDs back then was Escape From Alcatraz
http://dukerepository.com/maps/Escape_From_Alcatraz

Also, there are 3 other maps I remember vividly which were just GREAT. 2 of which were set in big environments as if Duke was shrunk the whole time.

One was called Gulliver and was set inside a small house, and the map ended after you reached the sewers by juming inside the hole of kitchen sink.

The other one I can't remember the name but I know it's very famous, it was a big house set in a mountain (using the canyon textures) and it had a small 2nd floor mezzanine made out of sprites.

As for the 3rd of these other maps I remember, well not only I don't remember the name but I also was NEVER able to find it ever again but I still vividly remember it. The map was in 2 parts. You had a first part with a house in a "street" (basically the street was just the same wall texture all around the map, nothing more). I remember it had a glass door you had to break to get in and there was also a 'secret' passage in the wardrobe of the child's bedroom you had to get into, which was invaded by alien textures and Octobrains. After that, you could unlock a red door in the street with a key, and behind it there was a teleporter leading you to the 2nd street with the 2nd house. For the 2nd house, I remember you had to get in by swimming through a small bit of water next to house. Anyone remembers this map? I'd just LOVE to replay it as I haven't seen it since perhaps 2000 or maybe before.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: methy on  08 February 2014, 22:27:30
I thought I got City II to be uploaded on DNR but I can't see it there anymore... Perhaps someone else has this map? I remember sending it to both Mikko and MRCK.
this cityII?

i probably played the other maps you described, but i wouldn't be able to remember the names of them after all this time.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

Quote from: Forge on  08 February 2014, 22:54:00
Quote from: methy on  08 February 2014, 22:27:30
I thought I got City II to be uploaded on DNR but I can't see it there anymore... Perhaps someone else has this map? I remember sending it to both Mikko and MRCK.
this cityII?

i probably played the other maps you described, but i wouldn't be able to remember the names of them after all this time.

Yes thank you very much :) Any idea about the other maps?

Also I just made a great discovery. While looking for City II I have found "Castle of The Damned" by.... Piroska! The guy who made Warzone, but CADMN was made BEFORE Warzone (apparently from '97) and it's EVEN better! Somehow the map feels like I've played it before but it's like, really vague and far away in my memory... But, the most strange is that I don't recall seeing this map EVER mentionned online, not on AMC, DNR, Duke4, here, and it's not uploaded on either MSDN, DNR or here, while Warzone was one of the most known usermaps ever.
In any case, you should check it out (or perhaps you all know of it?), Castle Of The Damned is so good it could have been made today. I think I will upload it on Megaton's workshop.

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

well i have two Gulliver maps from '96. I haven't looked at them to tell if they're different versions of the same map. i don't think they're the same since they have quite a bit of difference in file sizes.
one has a template and the other doesn't.

as for the maps you only gave descriptions of, i won't be able to help there because i can't remember what they were called. Having a folder with nearly 3,500 single player user made maps is a bit daunting when trying to find a level that you can't recall the name of.

i have castleofthedamned (v. 1.0), but the file name is cadamned.zip dated feb 5th '97. I'll add it to my todo que of maps to be reviewed.

methy

Yep, that's it. The one named Gulliver RAford. Thanks a lot, I love this map.

You know what's funny? Both City II and Gulliver you just shared have this "lisezmoi.exe" file. Lisezmoi means "readme" in French and that's what the old cd magazines puts as readme files for every map which means, chances are you got those maps from me ;) I probably shared them in a very old thread on one of the forums.

You should totally upload castle of the damned here.

Forge

i have hundreds of maps from the '90s that have the lisemoi.exe file.
i got most of them off crappy compilations cd's the rest i acquired from repositories.
there's a good chance i got a few from you off old threads as well.
though i wasn't an active participant until the mid 2000s, i was a lurker since the early days.
So thanks, just in case
You provided me maps back then as you are now by giving download links for megaton files
(which i probably won't need anymore since i re-activated my account that's been dead for almost two years)

Tgreyhair

Cool some of these maps I haven't seen for a long time. The Lunar maps were probably not the best maps in the pack, I was always confused why there were so many Lunars. Slumcity tends to be memorable. I liked the Oasis map as this had a couple of nice puzzles to it such as trying to find that yellow access card.

Anyone remember this level which was called (D-star) I quite liked this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE_LATgGCw

Did that know hurt your eyes playing the game that way Methy? with the video settings on low.

Nancsi

Also remember a map called "The Base". It was a decent level for its time.