Beta Testing?

Started by High Treason, 05 February 2014, 10:43:32

Previous topic - Next topic

High Treason

Well, I've reached a stage with my current map where I think it's almost ready save for a few minor todo's. If anyone is interested in beta testing it let me know.

It is a city-type map, currently unnamed, which has you complete objectives to open up the end of the map, for the most part these can be done in any order but I tried to use enemy placement to encourage the player to do things in what I think is the best order. Some effects have been used that I haven't seen elsewhere, on that note there are quite a few viewscreens to read - they aren't messing around either, especially the ones in the chemical refinery, heed their warning. The map was designed for Polymer with no lights (r_pr_lighting 0) - runs fine on an Atom D330/Gen 1 ION - 8-Bit works with minor issues inherent to that renderer and Polymost works but it looks like, well, Polymost.

In short what I want to know most importantly;
> As usual, is anything broken/easily broken?
> How long did it take you to complete?
> Usual problems such as ammo/health vs enemies/hazards?
> Anything else you notice that ruins it?

Anybody interested in testing can send a PM and I'll send you the map. As usual, probably only one revision will be tested and proper credit will be given in the map template file. Also, if I don't respond I've probably hit my quota for testers, I don't want a million different people testing it; Usually I get two or three testers, every time thus far they've all given completely different feedback - one said "far too much ammo" while another said "way too little ammo" for example.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

What I'm wondering is why the map was designed for polymer. Does it use complicated TROR?
Wall whore.

High Treason

No TROR anywhere, I just find Polymer gives the best quality. 8-Bit has minor bugs as can be seen on the table in one of those shots, so far as I know there is no way around it. Also the sides of buildings disappear in 8-Bit sometimes, which is strange because they didn't when I started building the map - and it wasn't something I did because loading those old revisions still does this, meaning something changed in the engine. Also, editing in 8-Bit is a bitch as I can't even see what I'm doing with things like sprite work.

As for Polymost, it tends to look flat and washed out. The map was built in Polymer, so it looks best in Polymer, that's not to say it can't be played in another rendering mode, any should work, I was merely stating which would yield the best result.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Quote from: High Treason on  05 February 2014, 12:04:47
As for Polymost, it tends to look flat and washed out.

Are you sure you haven't tried out newer eduke32's with r_usetileshades 1 ? It makes polymost look very similar to classic in terms of colours and shades.

Sorry for off-topic btw.
Wall whore.

methy

Quote from: High Treason on  05 February 2014, 12:04:47
Also, editing in 8-Bit is a bitch as I can't even see what I'm doing with things like sprite work.

What do you mean?
Anyway I could betatest it if it's not too late :)

Edit : this map is really good!
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games