FM3X DukeMatch bonus episode (WIP)

Started by Fernando, 06 February 2014, 19:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando

I'm currently developing FM3X at a steady pace, but I'm not going to formally announce it until I have significant progress with it.

But also, what I though Duke was missing against Shadow Warrior and Blood, was a collection of official DeathMatch maps to play with, so therefore I'm creating a fully dedicated DukeMatch episode for my pack, set after the main campaign.

So here you are the first three maps out of eight from my DukeMatch-Only episode.
Feel free to comment any issues, testing issues, criticism, anything please. Rip it apart, shred it to pieces, find any anomalies, bugs, imperfections, glitches, anything you don't like. I would really love to have feedback on this first run of DM levels, before commencing the second wave.

You know pretty much the deal about my maps: Classic, Vanilla, No-eDuke32 stuff, 3DRealms inspired maps. :)
Although I use mapster32 as my editing tool, I've only played and tested these levels in Duke3D 1.3D and 1.5 DOS versions. But you can test play them with any port of your liking.

Thank you very much.

methy

Checked them in mapster and I really like how they look at least!

Edit : you should upload them on Steam Megaton's workshop if you them to be played and ask for comments and people's impressions there. DM is being played a lot there, my 2 dm maps got downloaded 250-300 times each since I uploaded them, they've never been played so much.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Fernando

I don't have the Megaton Edition of the game, and I have no plans into buying it... besides, I don't know shit how to work with that frontend. That's why I uploaded them here to get feedback from people I know here already.

Still, it would be an option I would consider sometime later. Thanks, Met.

MikeNorvak

You can always ask for a Megaton free key to Gennadiy aka Termit. He told any mapper should ask for a free megaton copy to upload his stuff :)

http://forums.duke4.net/user/4128-termit/

Micky C

Yeah he sticks to his word; he's given out keys to mappers already, and I just wish he'd made that claim before I had already bought it  :P

Alternatively you could get someone else to upload it, although I strongly recommend the first option. Megaton is by far the biggest dukematch community at the moment, and might continue to be so even after eduke32's superior multiplayer is finished.
Wall whore.

Fernando

Do I have to register in that forum to ask him for that? Or is there any other way to contact him.
It would be great to have feedback from that side of the spectrum, but it's not something urgent until I complete the whole deal...

Forge

I sent him a pm @ Duke4 and gave him the email address in your profile and a link to this thread
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

he gave it directly to me so check your PM box

Fernando

Got the key, thank you!

But what the hell I do now? I don't understand shit of Steam or its workarounds. :(

Sorry for all the hassle I am. I just didn't board the Megaton bandwagon in time.

methy

Here is a guide on how to upload your maps :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198993334#184353

To make your json files, your best bet is to "suscribe" to a DM map on the workshop. Then, after a minute or two (it might take to launch the game once after that, not sure) the map will be downloaded, in \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\workshop\maps
Take the json file of that dm map, rename it and edit the info that needs to be edited inside. It's MUCH quicker and less troublesome than creating the json file from scratch and you'll be sure it works on first try.

IF, after uploading the map and after it says uploading was complete, you still don't see the map on the workshop after 5 mins, try to reupload it again. A couple of times, I had to re-upload the maps for it to work. If you happen to upload a map twice by mistake you can delete them anyway.

It takes a couple of minutes to understand how it all works, but once you get the hang of it, you can upload any of your map in less than a minute. I'm sure some of your singleplayer maps would be liked a lot there as well, classic style maps seem to work a lot on the workshop. Also, you can create groups of maps, like a group "DM maps by me", another "single player maps by me" etc

Now you should have all the info you need to have a few hundreds (more) players on your maps :)
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: Fernando on  07 February 2014, 18:51:02
Sorry for all the hassle I am. I just didn't board the Megaton bandwagon in time.
don't think you're the only one. i don't have a steam account either and depend on people like MetHy to provide download links for new stuff so i can look at it and/or review it.

Fernando

Quote from: Forge on  07 February 2014, 21:28:00
Quote from: Fernando on  07 February 2014, 18:51:02
don't think you're the only one. i don't have a steam account either and depend on people like MetHy to provide download links for new stuff so i can look at it and/or review it.
Would you do that for me? As for me, I would like to upload all my stuff to the Steam Workshop, but if it's too much hassle for you, I understand.
Still, we could arrange something to make my stuff available on Steam...

Forge

just use the steam account.
you or someone else can provide me a non-steam download link
all will be well in the world

MSandt

Quote from: methy on  07 February 2014, 20:37:29
To make your json files, your best bet is to "suscribe" to a DM map on the workshop. Then, after a minute or two (it might take to launch the game once after that, not sure) the map will be downloaded, in \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot\workshop\maps
Take the json file of that dm map, rename it and edit the info that needs to be edited inside. It's MUCH quicker and less troublesome than creating the json file from scratch and you'll be sure it works on first try.

The guide you linked to has a link to a JSON template, I don't see how going through all the hassle you suggested is quicker than creating a new file and simply pasting the template.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Fernando

I will upload all my levels to my SkyDrive folder and share it with you lot. I will post the link as soon as I get the files uploaded in the afternoon.
That may help, I think.