FM3X DukeMatch bonus episode (WIP)

Started by Fernando, 06 February 2014, 19:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Well since the topic went towards the megaton edition;
i find it interesting that Lunick is using Kim's & Fernando's reviews from DN-R for the map descriptions
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

I don't see your maps on the workshop  :o it says the latest map uploaded is Quake-DM by Lunick, and before that RUSH by thebumishere which has been there for a day or two

Quote from: Forge on  09 February 2014, 04:20:51
i find it interesting that Lunick is using Kim's & Fernando's reviews from DN-R for the map descriptions

I still find it a shame DNR is no longer updated. A lot of people probably find this site but won't discover any of the newest stuff.

Edit : that's weird, I just uploaded castle of the damned and it doesn't appear in the "most recent" list while it's definitly there. Perhaps there is a glitcha nd that's why I don't see your maps?

Edit 2 : so yes it is a glitch.
To fernando : to make a collection you go into "browse workshop", then "collections" at the top, and then on the right "create collection".

Edit # 36442956 : Weird, now my maps appear in "most recent" but still not yours. Are you sure they are uploaded correctly and visibility is set to everyone and not just you or your friends?
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Fernando

Quote from: methy on  09 February 2014, 11:02:02
I don't see your maps on the workshop  :o it says the latest map uploaded is Quake-DM by Lunick, and before that RUSH by thebumishere which has been there for a day or two

Quote from: Forge on  09 February 2014, 04:20:51

I still find it a shame DNR is no longer updated. A lot of people probably find this site but won't discover any of the newest stuff.

Edit : that's weird, I just uploaded castle of the damned and it doesn't appear in the "most recent" list while it's definitly there. Perhaps there is a glitcha nd that's why I don't see your maps?

Edit 2 : so yes it is a glitch.
To fernando : to make a collection you go into "browse workshop", then "collections" at the top, and then on the right "create collection".

Edit # 36442956 : Weird, now my maps appear in "most recent" but still not yours. Are you sure they are uploaded correctly and visibility is set to everyone and not just you or your friends?
Yep, a glitch indeed. I set them as public, and yet they don't appear.
I'll get into it now, as I finally have connection to my HD back, and I will upload all my maps there.

methy

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Fernando

Quote from: methy on  09 February 2014, 17:11:58
They are there now :)
To quote Duke from DNMP in a different way: "I HATE Steam". >:(

And by the way: http://sdrv.ms/M20Eum
My maps are uploaded here to my SkyDrive account. These are updated versions as of 2014. A few changes here and there, and a few maps have significant upgrades from older versions found on Duke sites. Enjoy! :)

Forge

Your maps are appearing in the workshop on the first page, but the "most recent" seems to be broke, so they get shuffled into the middle
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

I just played your ice cave map with 2 other players. I had fun but it's probably too big still for 3 players. Also, the layout was still confusing to me as I didn't know the map.

However there is one thing I got to complain about : there is one place where you have a medipack and other powerful stuff hidden behind a crate, and just nearby you have an atomic health as well. That place is way too powerful, too many powerful stuff at one place. Thank god the other players didn't notice it (yet) but I did, and it also renders what you did with the platform moving above void pointless : why risking your life and wasting your time riding that moving paltform when you can have tons of the strong stuff for free in one place anyway? It's a shame because I thought the moving platform thing was a great idea, but it should have a greater "risk to reward" ratio.

anyway it's surprising how fast people join in when you make a server on megaton. 30 seconds and I have 2 other players. PRobably because it's sunday though.

Here is a screenshot, the place i'm talking about.

Fernando

Thanks Mety, glad for your comments.
Keep them coming... :)

methy

I just played Rotomotor with James, and then we played Beachwoods with another player on steam as well.

The concept behind Rotomoror is really good but, the map simply does not work. We constantly kept getting teleported from downstairs to upstairs for no reason (or sometimes even vice versa), getting squished for no reason, or worse, getting squished right as we spwaned...
I also believe the elevator in the middle goes too fast. Because of its speed, one time out of two your jump won't make it because Duke is already in mid air when you try to jump.
Also I believe there is too many atomic health hidden in the cracks of the walls downstairs, you can just wait for the map to turn around, pick one, wait a little, pick a second one, and you'er already at 200hp.
Also, the fact that the map constantly turns makes any projectile goes rightwards instead of straight, so it's like you have to re-learn all your projectile shooting it's kinda funny. This could result in a fun very different way to shoot and aim, but instead of trying to learn to cope with that new aiming, what we sponteanously did was stick to hitscan weapons or pipebombs. Pipebombs are definitly the most op in this map, I think you could even aim randomly and hit often with them.

So I think there is definitly something to do behind this concept but it needs to be done differently. Maybe not have EVERYTHING turning, and make sure there is no squishing... There is definitly a lack of DM maps (or maps in general) making interestnig use of the rotating sectors so something needs to be done with it.

We had more fun with Beachwoods. The map is definitly fun, but item placement needs to be improved. There is one beach along which there are 2 atomic health, 1 medipack and 1 armor REALLY close, and if you go only a little bit further you get the shotgun, then the steroids and the RPG. GODDAMN that's a lot of items for one place! When I realized that, I staid on this one beach and the only thing that stopped was the lag that made us quit.

Seriously, Megaton seems to lag a lot. I even had a bad framerate against someone from my own country... Not sure why really. Well, framerate was really good in Beachwoods at the start.

Fernando

That is exactly what I was looking for when I posted the maps here. :)

Thank you very much for all your input Mety. It really makes a significant difference in playing with another than by yourself.
I must be ashamed of myself though, because even though I have played Duke3D since 1996, this year, 2014, makes the first time I have ever played a true online game with people around the world, so as you can see, DukeMatch maps are not my strength.
So I really thank you for your contributions.

Now, onto the maps:
Rotomotor is an experiment, a map which I always wanted to do, but due to the limitations of the BUILD engine in handling rotating sectors and collision detection, it was obvious those problems would arise, and it's inevitable. I always wanted to do a DukeMatch map in which the action centers on a carousel. Obviously, my preliminar tests are with DukeBots, and they gave me very few problems during game (considering they just point and shoot). But real quality assistance comes from real people, and that is something I have been unable to cope with for all these years, until now.

Beachwoods, on the other side turned out to be much difficult to make, because, thematically, beaches on daylight are (in my opinion) a rare commodity, and I wanted to do a map as realistic as possible. Also, the problem is that weapon placement is something that I can't completely manage quite well by myself. At the end, I always struggle in placing weapons far apart from each other.

So, considering your comments, how should I improve them, or what would make these maps better? You are far more knowledgeable and expert in that area than me, so your help will significantly understand much more about DukeMatch mapping.

Fernando

Here comes the second wave of DM-exclusive levels from my bonus DukeMatch episode. Also to note, the first-wave levels were update to accomodate suggestions received during testing, so they are included as well.

Same deal as before: comments, criticism, suggestions to my mail or right here.

After a few days I will begin the final two levels of the episode. Don't know yet if to release this episode as StandAlone or just complete FM3X and bundle the episode with it...