Beta stage and polishing

Started by Micky C, 12 February 2014, 05:25:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

So Undertaker has done a polishing pass of the map, and I've done a little extra on top of that. I've also made the map coop compatible, and with the large number of enemies it should be a good coop map. I'm currently thinking that the skill level 3 should be for coop, but if people disagree we can change that to 4. Currently I added a lot of enemies to the beach section in my segment with a tag of 3.

I encourage everyone in this forum to try it out and give some feedback. Forge, if you're still up for it, you can do some tweaking with the shades and alignments. Maybe add a bit more detail to Supertanker's section which is the underground area and the smallish city bit near the dam.

https://www.mediafire.com/?2xc55xgn2hcsa2e
Wall whore.

underTaker

Okay! Played through. The gameplay is really good on each section. There are just few little things to do: the place, where yellow keycard was - the armory - i got completely no idea how to open it. Any hints maybe?
And the second thing - more important - I'd add steroids near the detonator on the dam, since if the boss comes near you, and if you have bad luck, you're pretty much screwed then.

It took me 27 minutes, I didn't use any secrets. Currently there are 7 of the secrets. Is that enough?

The ammo/enemy count was good to me as well as health packs was sufficient too. I'd add one medkit at the city part before the dam, as I died there once.

I liked the music, it matches the theme :)

Except for some shading problems around, everything else is fine to me.

Micky C

I'm glad you like the balance. I had a play through of it on Let's Rock, then added a bit more ammo and health, especially from the middle of the map onwards.

Had a look at the armory thing. There were 2 touchplates very close together so it seems very easy to close the door after you open it so I made it open only.

27 minutes? How did you do that? It took me 40! Yeah 7 secrets should be enough. I added the steroids and a few more holodukes around the place. By the medkit, do you mean the health, or the portable inventory item? I always get them mixed up, and so you mean in the south side of supertanker's city?

What did you think of the ending, was it too hard? I added those extra spawns more of a distraction, but there's enough to be a significant threat and I kinda had coop in mind when doing it. We can remove a few if necessary.

I'll do a test run through coop with Lunick in the next 24 hours, see if any changes need to be made then, and then I'll upload the new version and let Forge do a little polish.
Wall whore.

underTaker

Oh, I didn't check that touchplates. I knew it would be it.

I don't know, it's my game style I think. :)
By the medkit, I meant the health. Portable medkit would make it too easy, I think. Yup, that place.

It was challenging, but it's the way it should be. Players do have save game option, so they can use it as much as they want. It was perfectly fine to me though.

Do you think it will be released this week? :) The map already looks cool.

Micky C

Probably, especially if Forge pitches in.'

Here's the draft txt file. I encourage everyone involved to write their own comments paragraph. Mine's a bit bigger because I started the CBP and sort of included some background info.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QfzSHEEd

Btw Norvak, if you're reading this, is it possible to reduce the filesize of the ogg file without any noticeable loss of quality, or is it about as good as it gets?
Wall whore.

underTaker

Micky C

Added.

Here's the current version of the map (without music), and I probably won't be editing it for at least the next 12 hours, so if anyone else wants to work on it such as adding details and shading, go ahead.

I tested out the map on Megaton and it crashes instantly, as well as other large maps, so I'm not able to test coop. Termit will likely look into the issue and hopefully fix it. It works in JFDuke3D, which Megaton is based on, so I don't think it'll be too hard to fix.

https://www.mediafire.com/?877qkdpna7rqk0b

To an admin: Apparently I can't upload attachments because the "folder" is full?
Wall whore.

Puritan

Yep, there is far to many attachments scattered around the forums.
It's growing out of it's original proportions.
I don't want to pay any more to host forums attachments.

I might nuke all attachments one of these days in order to gain some more server space.Edit: I've deleted a bunch of attachments now .
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Is there a way we can see a list of our own attachments? If each user had a small personal limit, like 10mb, and can delete them themselves when they're no longer useful, then that'd be ok.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Termit is going to fix the issues with the crashing maps tomorrow so I'll try it out in coop then.
Wall whore.

Forge

i was busy messing with my maps trying to figure out why they crashed on megaton

my levels and the conclusion i came to as to what causes the crashes seems to have been brushed aside; so what ever this fix is termit is applying to make clear the coast and club97 work also makes mine work

anyway

i'll give the latest a look then throw some feedback at you so we're on the same page
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

i'm stuck.
can't find the blue key
if i'm supposed to shrink myself and go through that hole in the side of the supermarket, then i can't find the shrinker either

here's some issues:
00: the player can walk right through the fence without needing to open the gate - fence needs to be blocking masked wall
01: player can hop up on window sill, semi-clip into the glass, pick off a bunch of aliens on the beach and street - sill needs to be blocking
02: player can walk through the fence - fence needs to be blocking masked wall

not a big deal, but the player can get up on the pier/boardwalk from the beach. actually makes dealing with the enemies on the street harder since they'll have incoming fire from two directions instead of one.

Drek

Can you please change this from
Drek (axed when trying to fit CBP into one map due to being least polished and least consistent section)
to
Drek (axed when trying to fit CBP into one map)

Also, I'm going to do a play test, excited to see how it all came together.

Forge

had to pop open mapster to see what to do next

i missed the big button that was supposed to be shot from the end of the pier

i can see that as a problem for the average user as well

& the shrinker puzzle can be screwed if the mirror gets broke

edit: finished it.
other than the issue i had with the big button, it played rather well
i didn't see any major issues other than the one's i already mention
there is some minor clean-up needed with textures, sprites & maybe a little shading here and there
i didn't see any sections that had horrible issue with being under-worked; some were a little more plain than others, but nothing too horrible or inconsistent with the rest of the level