Beta stage and polishing

Started by Micky C, 12 February 2014, 05:25:56

Previous topic - Next topic

underTaker

Wow, how could that two not blocked sprites happen to me.
Well, good that you find them :)

Micky, I believe you're the one that has the map right now. Would you fix them for me? That shouldn't be any hard.
About the big button puzzle - i think that is the problem as well. You could add a camera somewhere near that points at that window.

Forge

i was kinda thinking the same thing about the big button - maybe putting a view screen on the backside of one of those crates at the end of the pier / or at the head of the pier where it meets the street

let me know if you want me to go back through and do some minor adjustments after you've done what you need to do with it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

underTaker

A laptop styled, near a crate with a sniper rifle, or something close to it, styled to hitman's gear would be in place, I think :)

We'll wait for Micky first.

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  12 February 2014, 11:45:57
Btw Norvak, if you're reading this, is it possible to reduce the filesize of the ogg file without any noticeable loss of quality, or is it about as good as it gets?

Mike said he will look into this asap  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I haven't touched the map since the last version uploaded, so Forge if you want to make some changes then go ahead.

With the big button, maybe put a viewscreen in the train control room with the blue key lock, which shows cameras pointing to:
1. Big button from the jetty
2. Underwater door
3. Big truck with little crack in view.

About being able to jump onto the jetty to get to the road sooner, I realized that at the last minute and added a few invisible blocking sprites close to where the jetty meets the road, but if I try to add them further along then it could start to interfere with shooting the pigcops, so it's a reasonable compromise. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears, however it's probably ok as it is.

And just on the mirror, I'm fairly sure I made the mirror itself pal 4 to make it unbreakable in eduke32 (you might want to confirm that though), but maybe we could put a little message on the back of the truck saying "If you break the window, you're f*cked, so play it with eduke32 where it's unbreakable ;)" or something like that.

Ok Drek I'll change the txt next time the map is updated  :P

So forge what are you planning to do to the map? Minor shading and texture/sprite alignment? Would you be able to add a touch of detail to those areas that are a bit underdetailed?
And feel free to fix those issues you mentioned since it should only take you a minute.
Wall whore.

Forge

a viewscreen by the blue lock showing where the big button is and the arrow pointing at the underwater section should be enough.

i'll double check the mirror, but i shot it with an rpg and it broke

i can fix those fences and window sills that need to be blocked

i'll clean up some of the textures, adjust some wall shading - maybe add sector shading if an area really needs it

the last set of office buildings with the yellow key card - i found it odd to go through hell to get to the room that unlocks the dam, but there's no aliens in there. kinda breaks the flow and is mildly anti-climatic. might toss a couple enforcers or an enforcer trooper combo in that room

what areas did you have in mind for some detailing upgrade? the level fluctuates through the map and it kinda gives it an even feeling right now.
areas like the surf shop, the little secret grocer that's accessed behind the crate on the roof, the interior of the last office building, the fenced in docking area where the player unlocks the gate to get to the big beach, all have the same general simplistic design. Except for that little secret grocer market, nothing really jumped out as needing any help. Yea, it's not the greatest looking thing, but it has that cbp feel to it like it should, and it's still above average.
Just doing the minor clean up I mentioned and the map is a solid 95.
You could put a bunch of work into it to get the detailing evened out through the entire level, but I think the map will still top out at a 96 just because of game play and the way it flows.

anyway i should have it posted back up here some time tomorrow

Micky C

For a CBP that's pretty good considering it's built by multiple people with different visions. Just looking at the CBPs, it averages out at about 90 anyway, with the highest (JFCBP2) having 96 despite its simplistic looking design in the screenshots. And even CBP 8 which everybody seemed to love only got 90 (although it got 97 at MSDN).

In terms of details, I think maybe the metal corridors in the underground area, and some of the indoor rooms of the little city bit near the end could use a touch-up. The little supermarket thing is just unreachable scenery/secret so it's not a big deal, but you can add something if you want. If you are going to add detail, try to use sprites as much as possible instead of walls.

At the end of the day there's always going to be a compromise between detail and size, and since this is a fairly large map I think we did ok.

Pretty sure that room which unlocks the dam has a commander and a few other things in it.

Gameplay news:

I just played this map on come get some, and there were over 400 enemies so it was quite a lot. A bit over 40 minutes. It was hard, but there was definitely enough health and ammo to get by.

When I reached the dam elevator this is what I had:
20 shotgun
175 chaingun
30 pipe bomb
22 shrinker
99 devestator
99 freezer

Sure I found a few secrets, but just looking at that ammo count, people should definitely be able to find enough themselves, especially if they manage their ammo properly.
Naturally we'll still try to find at least one non-mapper beta tester to give their thoughts on the gameplay and balancing.

Wall whore.

Micky C

Btw when this CBP started up I was looking for a certain beach resort themed classic map to use as inspiration for my section and how the Beach CBP should look overall, but I couldn't remember the name.

Turns out that map was Club 97. Pictures: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225140/discussions/0/540733523703130843/

It has some decent architecture for the time and some nice verticality. I imagine the CBP would have been very different if I had found it. It's probably good that I didn't though since this is much more original.
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  14 February 2014, 06:26:17
In terms of details, I think maybe the metal corridors in the underground area, and some of the indoor rooms of the little city bit near the end could use a touch-up. The little supermarket thing is just unreachable scenery/secret so it's not a big deal, but you can add something if you want. If you are going to add detail, try to use sprites as much as possible instead of walls.

At the end of the day there's always going to be a compromise between detail and size, and since this is a fairly large map I think we did ok.

Pretty sure that room which unlocks the dam has a commander and a few other things in it.
i looked through some of those corridors and tunnels. most already have flat sprites and whatnot slapped on the walls and/or ceilings. There's really not a lot i can do with just spritework. imo the aesthetics can only be improved by adding sector trimming along the walls and doing something about the flat ceilings. I don't know what else you have planned so i left them alone.

the room that unlocks the dam had a fat commander in it. i think during my play through it either clipped out the window or blew itself up before i got there. i replaced it with two pigcops. change it if you don't think it works well.

i fixed the non-blocking walls/sills
fixed mis-aligned sprites that clipped into walls
fixed some missed/stretched/mis-aligned textures
added view screen by blue lock with cameras displaying big button and the area where the underwater section is
adjusted the wall shading in the river cavern at the end of the rail car tunnel to give it a little more depth
changed fat commander to two pigcops in dam unlock room

edit: also had to re-pal the mirror from 24 to 4 so it wouldn't break anymore
adjusted the far side of the dead-end tunnel at the end of the boardwalk street - it overlapped another sector and the aliens that occupied the end of the hallway would clip through the corridor wall into the tunnel

when you're done with whatever you have planned, maybe you'll have enough wall assets left over to do something with the flat ceilings in the sections you're not satisfied with

Micky C

Here's the updated version. Made the easy mode easier, and the hard modes harder. Added an insane number of enemies to Damn I'm Good which is intended for coop with 4 or more people. Weapons with a pal of 1 and a lotag of 4 will only appear on DIG coop right? Because they're going to need the pipe bombs...
Tweaked some weapons. Replaced the first freezer with another chaingun, and the chaingun on the jetty with another RPG. Lots of minor polish/bug fixing and a touch of detailing/trimming.

Probably the most notable changes are that you can now blow up the wooden fence near the start from the other side. Sure some people on the 2nd run might try to bypass the building, but if they do so without the chaingun and shotgun ammo from the building it's basically suicide anyway.
And I added a door to the fenced in docking area activated by a switch from the other side. Both these things greatly improve the back-tracking in that area, and free things up for coop.
Also added an extra room to the building with the shrinker on the side of Supertanker's section, allowing you to look over there, and raised the parallaxed sky around it for a better solution to the height difference problem.

We've still got 400 walls left if anyone can think of anything to add/improve. But of course it's always nice to have some spare walls at the end anyway.

https://www.mediafire.com/?3a5ay894i9jy51x
Wall whore.

Forge

i can give it another play-through and see what areas need a little help now that there's some spare assets available, if you like

the one section that comes to mind right off is that tunnel section with the elevator at the end holding a mini-battlelord (right before that last city section)

i wouldn't trim the walls too much (and interfere with the combat), but that plain, flat ceiling could use some touch-up (vents, ducts, girders, beams), maybe some sector based wall decoration like pipes or industrial electrical circuitry behind some grating

Micky C

Alight, I'll see if I can touch up that ceiling, then I'll upload the latest copy again.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Ok this is the latest copy. I put most of the remaining wall resources into destructibility of the hallway where you fight the mini battlelords, and into the road collapsing a bit at the Dam.

Remaining problems:
1. Earthquakes at dam don't trigger for some reason (helper sectors are to the left of the dam).
2. I've set up some explosions in each sector of the dam as it lowers, but they don't trigger.
3. I have a feeling there was something else but right now I can't remember it.

The map should be pretty close to ready at this stage.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Ok, I just tried this out with coop on megaton. I swear this is the final tweak until someone has a look at it :P
It was mostly weapons added for Damn I'm Good coop, but there's one or two minor tweaks as well.

The only real issue is that the multiplayer buttons aren't showing up, does anyone know anything about that?
And apparently the player can't pick up multiple pipe bombs in the same spawn, which is a pretty big deal on damn I'm good.

Wall whore.

Forge

i don't squat about co-op/ multiplayer.
never played it that way, never implemented it in any of my levels
i can only give you single-player feedback

& i've been using eduke32, not megaton if that matters

ran though it in single player and everything seems to look and work fine