Beta stage and polishing

Started by Micky C, 12 February 2014, 05:25:56

Previous topic - Next topic

underTaker

I will take care of explosions and earthquakes tomorrow, if it still isn't done.

Forge

the only thing i noticed was once again the fat commander in the dam unlock room sees me running around outside and blows himself up on the window, but hey, if you insist this is how you want it..........

oh, and the tunnel looks alot better now

i think my productive feedback has reached its limit. i see nothing else that needs attention
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

underTaker

I, for myself, don't really care about the commander in that room, but if it's really required there, a touchplace/respawn would be good choice.

Micky C

Yeah when I put the commander back and ranthrough it, he never blew himself up, but if you say it keep happening to you then touch plate spawn is the way to go.

Btw undertaker you can try fixing the explosions and earthquake if you want. Sounds like we're just about ready for some public beta testing :)
Wall whore.

underTaker

Can I work on the map you sent lately?

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  15 February 2014, 23:07:55
Sounds like we're just about ready for some public beta testing :)
sounds like you already released it on megaton for some public beta testing  8)

if you were going to do that, what did you need me for?  ;)

Micky C

Oh ha ha

Here's the new latest version of the map after me and underTaker worked on it: https://www.mediafire.com/?3a5ay894i9jy51x
Wall whore.

Drek

I've been trying to beta test on Megaton, it keeps crashing for me after I die :/

2 comments, first it is much lighter. That killed the atmosphere for me in that tunnel where the lights go out, because well, it's not dark anymore.

Second, the troppers are changing pals? WTF red then blue then green, just outside the tunnel I mentioned above. I didn't get much further playing with Megaton because of the crashes. Sorry.

Forge

for some reason maps are a little brighter on megaton than eduke32
they need to "center" that ambient light slider. you can make it bright as hell, but you can't get it any darker

i'll see if i can get it to run on megaton off my hard drive

Micky C

Yeah people I've tried to test it with are always talking about crashes, usually when you start the map. It always works for me though.

I agree they should change the brightness. You don't want people optimizing the shading for megaton when it's not accurate.
However I changed the vis outside to make it appear more sunny, but maybe that vis was applied to the tunnel as well? If so the vis should be reset to zero there. It's ok having high vis in other places like the subway because I've compensated by making it really dark and IMO that looks fine.
Wall whore.

Drek

Megaton would crash for me when I died and it wanted to restart.

Forge

the crash seems megaton based and not the maps fault
i died - if you go to the menu and load game, it works fine, but if you click the use button to start again the game crashes

i died, loaded saved games, reloaded the game after a crash (because of what i mentioned above), shut the game off then started it again and loaded a save

no crashes (except for that specific instance)

btw - i found another issue that needs to be addressed
this sector (that's had the shading removed and the crosshair is pointing at) the player gets squished when they enter that sector

Micky C

Thanks Forge I fixed that. I also fixed a bug where you could get squished when you enter the square water in supertanker's section (SE positions didn't match). It's probably not worth re-uploading at this stage though.
Wall whore.

Micky C

I'm about to ask for beta testers at Duke4.net, this is the version they'll be testing: https://www.mediafire.com/?3a5ay894i9jy51x

Edit: Here's the full zip with music and text file: https://www.mediafire.com/?2xc55xgn2hcsa2e

Norvak if you're reading this, now's a good time to see about compressing the music file  :P
Wall whore.

Maarten

I'm not bothering to read all 3 pages... but you're going to release this as a stand alone map too?
I can test it too if you want :)
Boo!