Rank the countries based on quality of mappers

Started by Micky C, 18 February 2014, 03:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Wasn't quite sure where to put this thread.

So let's see if we can get some kind of order of which country has the best mappers. If there's just one good mapper, that's not enough since that's more of an isolated case. IMO any recognized countries should have at least two quality mappers. Obviously "quality" is a bit vague here but suffice it to say the mappers have to seriously know their stuff.

For example, IIRC Argentina has Gambini and Davox?
And Australia has myself and DanM.
So that's arguably number 1 and 2 already.

You guys probably know who's from where better than I do though.
Wall whore.

Forge

#1 Alejandro Glavic's also from argentina
#2 Pascal R, Kaiser, and ck3d are from France
#3 the Oostrums. Maarten Pinxten & David B. are from the benelux region

these three countries have produced the only maps to rate 99 and several of the 98s

everyone else sucks, get over it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttw_w9sONQk

I'm sorry but a region doesn't qualify as a country  ;)

I think MetHy is also from france and he's a pretty solid classic mapper.

However there's different kinds of quality. DanM and myself are among the best at polymer and TROR, so that should boost us up the list a bit eh?  ;)
Besides, I was involved in the DNF DLC pack which got a rating of 97  :P
Wall whore.

High Treason

Well, as usual, Great Britain is the biggest innovator. :P

And Russia.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  18 February 2014, 04:03:25
I'm sorry but a region doesn't qualify as a country  ;)
fine take David B. off the list and just put Netherlands as #3
nothing changed

I think MetHy is also from france and he's a pretty solid classic mapper.
agree, but adding him doesn't boost France over Argentina

However there's different kinds of quality. DanM and myself are among the best at polymer and TROR, so that should boost us up the list a bit eh?  ;)
no.
neat construction tricks and eye candy do not a map make
have you not been paying attention to the crap i write about maps?
the biggest detriment to your self promotion is not so much the quality of the work as the quantity. You can't be the top dog if I can count the released solo projects of both of you on one hand. especially when other people have put out excellent map after excellent map on a consistent basis.
Quote from: High Treason on  18 February 2014, 04:37:05
Well, as usual, Great Britain is the biggest innovator. :P
And Russia.
Definitely Russia; Zykov E and Maxim Chinyakin (Lezing) are brilliant with some of the stuff they come up with.

As far as I know, you're the only representative from the isles with some creative manipulations of effects

Micky C

I'd like to think that the maps by myself and DanM also have good gameplay in addition to any use of polymer and TROR. I did write a guide about it you know  ;)

Anyway

I forgot about Russia.
James Stanfield is from England, but is anyone else?

Any other countries/regions? There's 6 so far in this thread. Surely the USA must have a few? Or Spain?
Wall whore.

MSandt

Peter Williams is from the UK too.

Finland has yours truly, Juha Laaksonen, Steambull, and RazorZ, and several others with insignificant/no contributions so far (Daedolon, Crux Borealis). Pretty good compared to other Nordic countries.

Quote from: Micky C on  18 February 2014, 06:23:54
Any other countries/regions? There's 6 so far in this thread. Surely the USA must have a few? Or Spain?

USA of course has Bob Averill, Forge and Paul B. In general they have a crappy mappers-population ratio though.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

i know james is in the u.k., but alot of his work is tied up in TCs. They have some interesting features, but require code. I was thinking more along the lines of vanilla mapping and making use of the basic effects the way Zykov and High Treason do.

You would think the U.S., Mexico & Canada would have a better showing, but most of the talent seems to be in the code department (i.e. DeeperThought, TerminX)

anyone know where billyboy is from?

Quote from: Micky C on  18 February 2014, 06:23:54
I'd like to think that the maps by myself and DanM also have good gameplay in addition to any use of polymer and TROR. I did write a guide about it you know  ;)
irrelevant. Gambini by himself has put out more quality maps/projects than you two combined.
i don't see how taking common knowledge already known by good mappers and putting it down on "paper" relates to being a top quality mapper.
Might as well say i'm a top quality mapper because i write reviews on other maps.

Merlijn

You can add Kevin Cools and Geoffrey van Dijk to the list of quality mappers from the Netherlands. Let's face it, we kick ass.  ;)

Also, I think Sang is the only Belgian mapper ? So the infamous Supa levels are from Belgium, that easily makes it the worst country.  ;D

Forge

David B. is from Belgium, but still, those Supa maps... ;D

Micky C

Paul B is from canada isn't he?

Well so far the nominated countries are:
Argentina
Benelux Region (specifically Netherlands)
Russia
France
Australia
England
Finland
USA/Canada

I'd say that's a decent rough order. Although I'd be happy for Australia to fit anywhere above the US.
Still not quite sure where spain fits or how many good mappers are from spain, since they have a fairly separate community.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Australia is nowhere near that high on the list. If you were to annex NZ (William Gee) then maybe. After USA maybe. Canada's sole significant representative is Zaxtor but I wouldn't lump him together with American mappers (he's French-speaking to boot).

I think HighWire is from Holland too by the way.

Sweden has RustyNails & Loke.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Quote from: Merlijn on  18 February 2014, 18:09:07
Also, I think Sang is the only Belgian mapper ? So the infamous Supa levels are from Belgium, that easily makes it the worst country.  ;D

I think the Supa maps is better known around the globe than the Roch-series  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

Micky C

When you release a map we'll add you to the list  ;)

Also is it me or does Zaxtor have a really weird style and is stuck behind the times somewhat? I mean some of his architecture and spritework is incredible, but then elsewhere he has these empty areas and bland corridors with no trimming or complicated stuff.
Wall whore.