Rank the countries based on quality of mappers

Started by Micky C, 18 February 2014, 03:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

I believe Paul B. is from Canada
if you're going to lump canada and the u.s. then might as well annex mexico as well and add Mike Norvak.

what's glaringly missing is Japan and the rest of asia. as far as Spain goes I can only think of Eye de Cul. Fernando M. is from Chile. undertaker from Poland

Argentina
Benelux Region (specifically Netherlands)
France
Finland (extra especially if you include the rest of Scandinavia i.e. Puritan)

these would be the top 4 in order, the rest is kinda clustered and depends on if you want to count neighboring countries/regions

Russia (including old Baltic States and other satellite regions) - Taivo Maripuu is from estonia, Devastator from Belarus
Australia (if NZ is included)
England
USA/Canada (Mexico)

you can flip-flop u.s. and england. neither one has a large number of identifiable mappers or a strong showing above the 96 score

someone know where billyboy or bob masters are from?
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  19 February 2014, 14:55:59
. as far as Spain goes I can only think of Eye de Cul

You have forgotten a mapper that made it to the big gaming studios  ;)
Enric Alvarez
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

that would get Spain on the list, but from a quality standpoint he can't hold the country up on his own with his mid 90's scored maps, it would rank them below England and the U.S.

quakis

MSandt

Quote from: Micky C on  19 February 2014, 14:28:56
Also is it me or does Zaxtor have a really weird style and is stuck behind the times somewhat? I mean some of his architecture and spritework is incredible, but then elsewhere he has these empty areas and bland corridors with no trimming or complicated stuff.

Those aren't significant shortcomings. The maps as a whole look amazing.

Quote from: Forge on  19 February 2014, 14:55:59
what's glaringly missing is Japan and the rest of asia. as far as Spain goes I can only think of Eye de Cul. Fernando M. is from Chile. undertaker from Poland

It's not just our community that's lacking Asian representatives. Koumei Satou (Half-Life, Half-Life 2) is probably the only significant mapper from the region.

LAW is also from Poland so that should take the country up a notch.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

are you counting Poland as stand alone? Then i would rate them above Spain, but below England & U.S.

if you want to count the Baltic countries as a region then you have Law, undertaker, Devastator, & Taivo

I would then put them Above Russia and below Finland/Scandinavia

ck3D

Quote from: Micky C on  19 February 2014, 14:28:56
When you release a map we'll add you to the list  ;)

Also is it me or does Zaxtor have a really weird style and is stuck behind the times somewhat? I mean some of his architecture and spritework is incredible, but then elsewhere he has these empty areas and bland corridors with no trimming or complicated stuff.

do you have a problem with billy boy's work as well ? not trying to be an ass, really just asking - honestly it took me a while just to be able to grasp and understand their style, but now that i do i think they are both two of the best mappers with the most impressive style and skills. it doesn't matter that they aren't making maps that look just the same as all the bobsp / roch map derivates (like what 90% of the modern mappers are making nowadays), in fact that's why i personally like them - they are a lot more conceptual than that and do not need technically-advanced design or academic style to shine in their own ways, notably in terms of immersion.

Micky C

I haven't actually played many (if any) of Billy Boy's maps. In fact, there are a lot of classics I haven't gotten around to playing yet, including a few of the Roch and bobsp ones. In a way that might be a good thing since it helps me have my own style (?) IMO it's hard for me to put a label on my own mapping style so it's hard to tell how different it is to everyone else.
Wall whore.

James

It's important to play many past releases, because you can only gain good gameplay knowledge by playing, playing a lot. It's not a good thing because the best take rough ideas and refine them into diamond, it's very very rare you can get someone who'll just conjure up something good from nothing.

Anyways I'm a TC dude but I think I deserve to be on the list if only because I've actually managed to release several very big TCs, done a shitload of maps for them, as well as taking part in almost every CBP out, and have been around for about 15 years :P I have my share of fuck-ups of course, Survival being one of them (even if some of the maps will live on, but the blame is on my shoulders alone) Quakis and High-Treason have both released quite a few solid maps in-between them though, as well as Peter Williams and Chris Allcock (and a bunch of others I'm forgetting, I'll do some looking) so the UK definitly has a bunch of good mappers to it's name.

To deflect the self-jerking I just did, Argentina should be on top no contest but Geoffrey and Rusty were 2 of the best mappers I've ever seen (and Loke's stuff is amazingly detailed as well, I had no idea he was from Rusty's country - must be something in the water) Highwire was great at 3DR design too....I'm sad I fell out of touch with those guys but I don't know their e-mails and I don't have a facebook account anymore so I have no way of reaching them. At least Mikko and the Oostrums are still around :P

Also I love Zaxtor's work and I've played through most of Oblivion legitimately, but I have to take frequent breaks on account of the sheer scale of some of the maps. Looking forward to Treqonia and his AMC TC map as well.

Finally, there was that Japanese site I stumbled across some months ago that had a bunch of maps by a Japanese author. It actually had some interesting takes on Japanese pagados and stuff with Duke textures (not hyper-detailed of course but it got the point across) here's the link to the topic I started on Duke4 with discussion about the maps.

Forge

looked at some old templates and Bob Masters was sporting a New York based network and email
still no idea where billyboy is from

supposedly the premise is best country by mapperS (meaning at least more than one recognizable mapper per country).
That's one asian mapper and nobody really knows who it is

Puritan

Magnar Jenssen (C3PO) from Norway made it to the big gaming studioes  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

at least norway has one good mapper...[devil.gif]

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Quotet's important to play many past releases, because you can only gain good gameplay knowledge by playing, playing a lot. It's not a good thing because the best take rough ideas and refine them into diamond, it's very very rare you can get someone who'll just conjure up something good from nothing.

Maybe you're right. If I ever get another massive block of free time, I might try and play though some of the more innovative maps. However in the mean time I think I have a decent enough knowledge about the effects, the mapping process, and the need to push the engine to the limit that I get by ok with new ideas :P

Of course it helps to have a coder who'll make a new effect or two ;)
Wall whore.

Forge

looking at some of Billyboy's older map templates. the url/email sever he used is from New Zealand