News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

[Release] Beach CBP

Started by Micky C, 26 February 2014, 09:42:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Hi everyone,

After more than a year in the making, here's the Beach CBP! An epic adventure with a theme centered on (you guessed it) beaches! One of the lesser done themes in Duke.
The story: Those alien scum have once again ruined Duke's vacation, and it's up to him to fight his way across the beach-covered bay towards the dam to (sigh) deactivate the portal that they're using to transport to Earth. The map is more original than the plot.

It's a large map with over 400 enemies, and will probably take you between 40 minutes and an hour to complete. Included is an original music track by Henri K.

I encourage everyone try try out the map and leave their thoughts. Positive comments only Posted Image Nah all comments are welcome Posted Image

The main mappers for this one are:
Micky C
Undertaker
SuperTanker
Heavily polishing was done by Micky C and SuperTanker, with some help from Forge.

With small contributions from:
Norvak
Captain Awesome

There were others initially involved with the project, and to find out what happened to them, and to see the list of betatesters and other details, read the txt. I'd ask if Forge/Puritan would wait a few days before uploading this to the server in the event there are big issues that we might have missed.

https://www.mediafire.com/?3hbvsbkwai3qo3e
Wall whore.

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

I actually wanted something a little more upbeat, maybe more in tone with Caribbean's theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBKo1wxIu7g, but when the dust was settled and most mappers had jumped ship, I figured we had this so we might as well use it, and it's not a bad track.

Let's hope you like the map just as much.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Is it already in Steam? I would love to play it on coop!!

Micky C

The beta is on steam, maybe I'll put up the final version in a day or so, just to let a wide variety of people/computers try it out.

The issue is when I tried testing it with others in coop on megaton, it actually crashed on map startup for a lot of people. The annoying this is that it works for me every time, and I think it works for Termit as well, which means he can't fix it if he can't find the problem  :(

When I do upload the final version, I'll delete the beta and upload it as a new item, otherwise it won't show up in the "recently added" list and therefore lose visibility.
Wall whore.

Forge

never crashed for me either. i did all of my insignificant participation of single-play testing with megaton.

maybe the crashes are system/settings specific so there is no "fix"

also from what i've gleaned, it doesn't crash every time.

if i were to try to blame the map i would point my finger at the amount of viewable sprites. eduke32 lets you see more at one time than megaton (before you start getting those weird glitches with them phasing out of view)   
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

Thanks for the review Mikko. 93 is a reasonable score although as with most authors something a little higher would be preferred :P

I agree with the constant grind of enemies, although Piece of Cake is a little better in that respect assuming you went for a higher difficulty. 
Wall whore.

James

Quote from: Micky C on  26 February 2014, 13:55:56
I actually wanted something a little more upbeat, maybe more in tone with Caribbean's theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBKo1wxIu7g, but when the dust was settled and most mappers had jumped ship, I figured we had this so we might as well use it, and it's not a bad track.
That would of gotten old really quick, especially for a long map. The current track is really good and fits the map perfectly, giving it it's own style :)

Supertanker

Very nice work! I got very confused in my section, lol. It took me awhile to realize that it'd been flipped.

There's a few misaligned textures and such, but otherwise it was a very fun map.

Micky C

Hey look who's back from the dead :o

If you post screenshots of the problems (although I found a few myself as well), then I might decide to do  1.01 update. Not before someone gives me their thoughts on coop though.
Wall whore.

Forge

i'm waiting for the okay on a final version

still working on that duke hard cbp level, so take your time
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Yeah if only someone says "hey I've played the coop and everything's fine", then I'd probably get to work fixing those texture problems and things. But now that I've started uni my free time has dropped considerably, and I simply don't have time to test it myself anymore. Hopefully somebody somewhere can try it out.
Wall whore.

Sanek

Finally played the whole thing on Lets Rock. It tooks me 48 minutes to complete! In some places don't know where to go for a long time, especially in the cave. The hotel part in the beginning looks like just another map from late 90s, and  I don't like some oversized things, but
pverall, I liked it, it's nice map
. :) I like how epic it is and through design is not very good at some places, the action is top-notch, there's no a single boring moment in this map (well, except the cave ;D). And soundtrack is awesome too!
I would like to play more maps like this. :)

methy

If you're talking about the cave with the alien structure in the middle that's half sink underwater, that was one of my favourite part of the map. Progression, layout, enemies, overall design, on this part was just pro, and by pro I do mean "as good as a good professionally made map".
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games