Adding new sprites

Started by Sanek, 09 June 2014, 01:14:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

Can someone explain me how to add new sprites to the game? I was try to add one, but I get it as a texture instead! :(

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

What do you mean you get it as a texture? Without code tiles are just tiles, or do you mean the transparency isn't working? If you're talking about 8 bit art, I'd use tilefromtexture, where transparency is represented by the alpha channel.
Wall whore.

Sanek

I guess that shot explain it all.

Forge

transparency. see Micky's post

Sanek

Where I can download tilefromtexture tool? Link at duke4 is broken.

Forge

i thought it was def code

read the eduke wiki

Gingis Khan

DukeRes and BastART are good but they have some problem with transparency. But i have an DukeRes fixed version. If you are in interes i could send you  ;)

MrScienshit

Hi, cant find a more appropriate thread so Ill ask it here.
How do I properly replace a sprite?
I tried to replace the pistol sprite from tiles009.art but when I load it in duke it gets crazy.

Forge

check out some of the gun mods at RTCM and see how they did it.

MrScienshit

okay, I checked them out, and used them. I still dont know whats wrong.
My process
1. There is an art file that contains a dual pistol weapon, but also a chaingun replacement, but I do not want the new chaingun. So
2. I open the normal unmodified tiles009.ART of duke using Dukeres.
3. open the modified art file that contains that dual pistol.
4. Set the dukeres to tiled view so I can see both art files.
5. Copy pasted the dual pistol to unmodified art.
6. saved as single art file.
I used both the dukeres and the hacked one. It all came from duke rtcm. When I load the art it looks like this.

Forge

sorry. i don't know enough about art files to provide real help. i was hoping one of the example weapon replacement art mods would hold your answer.

just to check, you verified that the original dual pistol worked before you tried to import your art into it?

Gingis Khan

If someone have problem with transparent color in 8-bit mode, i suggest to go in Paint and name new color for background which have this coordinates:

red  252
gren 0
blue 252
hue  200
Sat  240
Lum  119

Also if someone use DukeRes only COPY option works and IMPORT do not work :( Also be careful DukeRes can mess up your graphics for some reason. I reccomend to use BastART to import 8-bit BMP files that have coordinates for background color i gived here.

MrScienshit

@ Forge
no I imported the art from the dual pistol to the original art.

@Gingis Khan
Thanks, so thats why it gets messed up. Im going to learn how to use bastart now