Science and Curiosities

Started by Forge, 06 December 2011, 13:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — NASA's planet-hunting Kepler spacecraft has confirmed the discovery of its first alien world in its host star's habitable zone — that just-right range of distances that could allow liquid water to exist — and found more than 1,000 new exoplanet candidates, researchers announced today (Dec. 5).

The new finds bring the Kepler space telescope's total haul to 2,326 potential planets in its first 16 months of operation. These discoveries, if confirmed, would quadruple the current tally of worlds known to exist beyond our solar system, which recently topped 700.

The potentially habitable alien world, a first for Kepler, orbits a star very much like our own sun. The discovery brings scientists one step closer to finding a planet like our own — one which could conceivably harbor life, scientists said.

Full Story:
http://www.space.com/13821-nasa-kepler-alien-planets-habitable-zone.html
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

A glimpse of Higgs boson?

"I find it fantastic we have the first results in the search for the Higgs, but please keep in mind, these are preliminary results," said Heuer. "The interval for the Higgs mass gets smaller and smaller. It's intriguing hints, but please be prudent — we have not found it yet, we have not excluded it yet."

More...

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Well if they figure out how to "verify" it, they'll need to "recalculate" mass (standard) and also how much a galaxy weighs and see if that answers some of those dark matter questions.

Forge

MSandt

Yeah I read that earlier today, I wonder if they're gonna be happy with "just" evidence.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

And the confirmation of the  boson would only explain about 4% of the total mass in the universe...
Next stop is now the "dark matter" I believe.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

If they can figure out dark matter, then maybe it's a stepping stone to dark energy.

From what I understand dark energy seems to be a repelling force which causes the acceleration of the expanding universe. If it has the "opposite" effect of gravity, then maybe in the future it can be harnessed to hold "open" wormholes.

Puritan

Newly released UFO files from the UK government.

Read here
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Today India is set for Mars with it's own space vessel Mangalyaan.
The launch is scheduled today from the space facility in Sriharikota.

Read more (Site may be slow...)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Man, this is gonna be a fast vehicle :o
Lockheed Martin reveals that they're ready to build the successor to the SR-71 "Blackbird".

Read more
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

it's already been built if you believe those aurora black project rumors

Puritan

June 24, 1947. Chehalis airport Washington state:

Pilot Kenneth Arnold reported nine objects moving in stunning 1932 km/h....
That is considered the start of modern UFO sighting era.

Damn Forge! I always thought there has been something peculiar about you  ;D

Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

If you're into UFO sightings and such; http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/

Whether or not the posts are BS is up to the reader, I just like looking at the pictures - some are laughable, others are a mystery.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

you forgot about the oakville washington star jelly

High Treason

I told you that site was interesting. UFO and conspiracy theories aside, logging onto news sites just report shit about wars, sport and people dying because they walk on railways (natural selection IMO) - meanwhile, I discovered something far more interesting. Apparently the worlds oldest pyramid was discovered in Crimea... Of course conspiracy theorists are having a ball saying this is the cause of the fighting because powerful nations want to steal ancient alien technology and whatnot. I can't be bothered with conspiracy theories and such, I just find the pyramid to be an interesting discovery and hope to learn more solid facts about it in the future.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]