Science and Curiosities

Started by Forge, 06 December 2011, 13:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

This should be right up your alley. all that ufo and cryptozoology stuff

Lochness monster found with apple maps:

link:http://abcnews.go.com/International/loch-ness-monster-report-rise-sighting-apple-maps/story?id=23394714
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

In more serious news: most earthlike planet found about 500 lightyears away- similar in size and in the "habitable" zone

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/04/17/astronomers-discover-most-earth-like-planet-yet/

Micky C

I wonder how they calculate the approximate temperature of the planet. Based purely on the amount of energy absorbed and reflected by Earth, the average surface temperature on Earth should be -19 degrees Celsius (below freezing). However it's due to the greenhouse gas effect that the average temperature is raised to 15 degrees.

Although Venus is much, much hotter than Earth for example, which makes sense considering it's closer to the sun, believe it or not but without its thick atmosphere, it would actually be colder than Earth because the surface would reflect more heat.
Wall whore.

Forge

Mars has almost no atmosphere compared to Terra.
temperatures range from 20 C [day] to -73 C [night] (on average) at the equator

by contrast Mercury is practically on top of the sun in comparison to orbit and has no atmosphere
temperatures range from 427 C [day] to -173 C [night] (on average) at the equator

having just a little bit of atmosphere seems to make a huge difference (especially on the night side of a planet), so judging by those guessed temperatures, they must be assuming the planet has an atmosphere, and a "moderate" one at that

Puritan

Will some of Saturns more than 62 moons reveale some secrets over the next few years?
Cassini spacecraft is in the middle of the action right now.
I find this mission quite spectacular  ;)

YouTube video
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

The webpage is not available?
Wall whore.

Puritan

Hmmmm....try again now  ;)
Seems that the web page is moved or something.
But the attached video is a brief overview.
Look up more of Cassini's missions if you're interested.
I certainly am.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Seems pretty cool. I'm always amazed how they can engineer these space craft to function for such long durations while exposed to the extremes of space. Plus how they can predict and manipulate the path of the craft using the various gravitational bodies of the solar system so far off in advance is pretty neat as well.
Wall whore.

Forge

newly discovered asteroid 2014 HL129 came within 186,000 miles (299,338 kilometers) of Earth when it made its closest approach on Saturday morning, which is close enough to pass between the planet and the orbit of the moon

http://www.space.com/25748-bus-size-asteroid-buzzes-earth-video.html

Micky C

What they don't mention is what kind of damage the asteroid would do if it actually hit Earth?
Wall whore.

Forge

Forge

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

that's cool. neat that they found out we're part of a cluster bigger than the previously discovered Virgo cluster.

wonder what causes some parts to travel towards that convergence point while others are moving away from that 'sinkhole' -maybe a gravity dance where some galaxies are slung out by their bigger neighbors.

Puritan

I knew it  ;D
You "Washingtons" weren't up to something good.

Washington coast meltdown
Oh when I'm old and wise