Con editing questions

Started by MrScienshit, 06 July 2014, 15:59:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MrScienshit

Hello Im new, and I want to ask a question on editing the CON files of duke.
Will the following be possible by just editing the CON files

1. make the pistol and shotgun reload by adding or replacing a key to reload.
2. change reload time
  -shotgun shoots 2 times before reloading
  -pistol shoots 7 times before reloading
3. increase or decrease the delay of shooting on weapons.
  -pistol 1 second delay on shooting
  -rapid firing rpg
4. Make the chain gun overheat
   -after shooting maybe 50 bullets it must cooldown for 10 seconds
5. completely remove autoaim
6. Make duke use the vending machines and regain health, but hurts him if used more than 3 three times.
7. Change the color of the weapons or items at certain times
   - like the chaingun turning red when heating up
8. Hurt duke if he tries to shoot the heating chaingun.
9. What is the maximum swear frequency?
10. Get less likely to be hit when jumping and crouching.
11. Roaming enemies instead of waiting for duke.

If this topic on the wrong place Ill move it. If it should not be a topic, please tell.
My goal here is to create a custom con for everyone with those customizations.

MSandt

The answer to probably all of those is yes. There are mods that already have many of those features (check DukePlus & WGRealms for example).
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

MrScienshit

will all this still be possible by editing only the con files? Without using a fancy mod? It doesnt matter if its hard, coding them all and stuff, as long as its possible.

MSandt

You don't need mods so long as you're using EDuke32.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

The problem with making the chaingun turn red is that it'll be a sudden thing; no smooth colour transition which probably won't look that good, unless you include extra art with the chaingun having different tints of red at different levels of overheating.
Wall whore.

MrScienshit

never thought of that, I always thought of it to change color abruptly. Its a really nice idea, but how will the coding be done? I dont know if its possible by manipulating game.con

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

You've got a lot of work ahead of you and no one will do any of that stuff for you. The best way is to learn by example; if you see a cool effect somewhere, check the cons to see how it's done. EDuke32 wiki is a very useful database when it comes to variables, events & such that come across in con files.

James

You can check out my old mod Nuclear Showdown which does a few of those things on your list (manual reloading for pistol and shotgun, .etc) The mod is old and buggy, but you're welcome to any and all of the stuff inside to help you on your way. Unfortunately the best way to learn CON is to jump straight in, there are tutorials on the Eduke32 wiki but it's best to examine mods like that and the AMC TC as well.

MrScienshit

Thanks James! The nuclear showdown was exactly what I want to do, gameplay weapon enchancement, by con editing. I havent seen this mod so Im going to go play it and study the scripting in this. Im going to keep the thread open if someone ask another con editing question.

anvil

I've created an episode by substituting the original duke levels with user maps in user.con.
After finishing the first level, it was loaded again instead of the second one.
what's the solution?

Puritan

You've named the levels properly I assume?
E1L1....E1L2....etc.

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

anvil

Puritan

Check one more time  :)

And how does the map end?
Nukebutton, ending zone or boss?
You've remember to tag the button or ending zone = 0,65535 ? ( If the nuke button is palletted the engine will look for a "secret" level. Typical the last map in the E1LX series).

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

anvil

Quote from: Puritan on  10 July 2014, 23:08:30
Check one more time  :)
Checked.
And how does the map end?
Nukebutton, ending zone or boss?
Nukebutton.
You've remember to tag the button or ending zone = 0,65535 ? ( If the nuke button is palletted the engine will look for a "secret" level. Typical the last map in the E1LX series).
It isn't my map.