What's your favourite way to play multiplayer?

Started by Micky C, 14 September 2014, 12:48:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

At the moment I'm guessing it's Megaton, not that I know how many people are still playing it. IIRC you can still use the original duke 3d in dosbox, and of course there's x/hduke around.

As for me personally, I'm holding out for eduke32. On top of all the minor improvements and conveniences, I imagine reduced lag, no loss of sync, and in-game joining are going to be huge improvments. Oh, and you also don't need to share maps and other files beforehand; only the host needs to have the files.

Another good thing about eduke32 multiplayer is all the mods you can have. Imagine playing WGR2 or AMC TC over coop, as well as finally being able to play some of the AMC TC's multiplayer modes. Plus any other multiplayer-specific mods that may come out.

If only we knew for sure progress is being made on it.
Wall whore.

Forge

That's like walking five miles back and forth to work every day when you have a bicycle that you don't use because you're waiting until you can afford a car.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Duke64Nukem

Yep right now Megaton would be the best way to play multiplayer imo. It's really not that bad, sure it has some crashes and sync issues at times. But they really have improved it since that first beta release back in October. Me and some buddies have had more success matches compared to crashed games now. Most of the crashing is more due to some steam players having a bad connection or they are running multiple games at once or have there browsers open watching youtube at the sametime rather then the game itself there are also more external reasons why games crash  or sync that are caused by players. Not to mention it's just where most of the players are right now there is guys from Dukematcher and Total Meltdown there as well. I'm sure when eduke32 has multiplayer it will be quite popular and probably better coded and I would surely use it myself to, but for now Megaton is the way to go for the guys who want to play now.
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Forge

not that i'm big on DM, but the game seemed to work fine on megaton the one time i tried it. At least it was performing well for as long as it took Duke64 to kill me a couple times before he got bored and went looking for a real fight.

Micky C

I remember some games where there was like a second of delay between pressing fire and actually firing the weapon. Made it impossible to hit anything without autoaim.
Wall whore.

Forge

i'm sure it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing at all

Duke64Nukem

Well i have been going on meltdown lately and got to say it's really fun. But the problem is there is less players kind of hard to find matches but shit i was playing a blood co op and dm the other day and even Duke3d match. Must say and have to add in Meltdown is a nice way to play to

Duke64Nukem

I have been playing again lately in meltdown and some megaton. Still having good times, btw cool update to CGS Puritan :) looks nice.

Puritan

StrikerDM, a mod for DukeMatch play.
Could be interesting for some of you.

Read more
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Does it work?
I've only read a little bit about it & thought it still had some bugs that needed to be addressed.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  04 June 2017, 16:43:26
Does it work?
I've only read a little bit about it & thought it still had some bugs that needed to be addressed.

Jordon Moss on Facebook:

"I'm deciding to release a build of StrikerDM to the people of this group. I'm planning to host this on Meltdown (since it's the only matchmaker that supports PK3 mods so far), for those interested. Details in the link. Requires the latest EDuke32-OldMP release. Won't run otherwise."
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise