DM Map Reviews

Started by Duke64Nukem, 16 September 2014, 20:18:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke64Nukem

Hi everyone I will be reviewing some DM maps. To ensure the fairness of the site we have decided to go with a 5 star rating method for dm maps. That way we can save the /100 scale for all the hard work put into the making of sp maps, and avoid the dm maps being rated the same and competing with sp scores.

I have played so many Duke matches in my time so I am able to define what makes a good DM map. Of course I am an individual with my own opinions but also I tend to be a global thinker when it comes to DM. I think there's many things that could make a good DM but what it boils down to is these 4 notes.

Gameplay/Design: Which will define many aspects such as the layout, spawn points, routes , camping spots, over powered areas, and the flow of the way it plays. Also the experience it brings fun or bad.

Weapons/Ammo/Pickups: Everything that you pick up and how balanced were they placed. Were there to many not enough all of that good stuff.

Atmosphere: This will cover what kind of vibe the map gives off to players, atmosphere does play a part of what you are playing even in a DM you like to feel that you have some kind of theme.

Detail: Yes, detail is important. I say this because just because it's a dm map the small details like light shading, texture alignment, and small details to give a small presence shouldn't be overlooked. For example instead of a plain blank table why not add a pc on top of it or something in that manner. I'm not saying go all out and put hardcore detail, I just want to see that minor detail was at least applied enough to make it feel right. A big block shaped dm with no detail at all is boring and lame in this generation.

In doing this I hope to encourage more people to make DM maps or at the least encourage the ones that do make them to make more. I'm quite new to writing complete reviews for maps so bare with me guys, I'm sure i will get better at the organization and wording as I do more.
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Puritan

Your reviews looks good to me  :)

Here's an example for you guys: Miami FL
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

A little tip to all you "new" mappers.
I see a lot of shitty map templates or none at all around the DM mapping community.

There has been an universal template for Duke maps floating on the web for ages
The one that 90 % of authors are attaching to their maps.

I've modified it a bit, holding some of the new features in Duke.
It's attached to this post.
After a certain time it will be deleted automatically to save server space but it's also available in the "Utilities" section.
Just navigate to "Miscellany" and you'll find it right in the middle.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

part of the issue is the steam workshop doesn't 'support or encourage' templates. The author just puts a little blurb of a description on the hosting page.

I usually copy and paste these into a text file along with the authors name. It's better than nothing.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Duke64Nukem

Yeah the .txt files weren't included in the zips most only contained a map,png, and a json file and smart idea Forge to use there description on workshop and make a text for them. But I do hope more people include them so we won't have to do that for them :)

Also I just want to make clear that i'm not just rating the "fun" I have on these maps in my opinion every match can be considered fun and some more then others but that is only one aspect to it. In all fairness some people pay more attention to small detail and should be rewarded for effort.

methy

I hope you review my Canyon Bunker and Atomic Bunker.

I admit I ruined Canyon Bunker a little bit in v2, I wanted to improve it but what I added actually made it worse... It's a shame that I don't have version1 anymore.

Also here is some suggestions for reviews, some of my fav DM maps :

- DmDUCTS (best DM map ever, 2-4players, plays great with 2-3)
- Library (by Sunstorm Interactive, the original version, NOT the "DX" version which IIRC came out with one of those random shitty DN3D 'addons' and which completely ruined the map)
- Mohave (by Robert Travis)
- Krachtest (this map was never supposed to be released but I 'leaked' it without the author consent... I'm glad I did though because it's one of the best DM maps ever and he never officially released it. 2-4 players; best played with 3 imo)
- Entrepot  (2-3 players)
- Courette (duels only)
- Daisy II (duels only)
- DK3 (duels only)
- Mega Socked Devil Ruins (aka 0ruin0.map , by Matt Wood who nows works for Valve; great for duels)
- Hexi (at least 3 players, because there is a camping room and it gets shitty with only 2 players due to that room)
- Night And Day (it uses an 'optional' new sky, so a new art file is needed which is annoying, but it's fun)
- Snow (3/4 players)
- Alcatraz (only for 4+ players )

IIRC Ruin by Stranger worked also really well in DM. There are probably other maps which have both SP and DM and which work well in DM. FBSP003 worked alright in DM, too.

I loved to take screenshots of DM action and if you need some you can find quite a bit here :
http://s101.photobucket.com/user/Corentin3/library/Duke%20Nukem%203D?sort=3&page=20
(page 20 to page 12)
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: methy on  18 September 2014, 15:26:12
I admit I ruined Canyon Bunker a little bit in v2, I wanted to improve it but what I added actually made it worse... It's a shame that I don't have version1 anymore.
is this version one?
i haven't got around to submitting this version yet, but it's in my todo pile

i don't submit reviews for DM due to my lack of experience, but I do flood Puritan's inbox with maps & screenshots

This is mainly for Duke64 to let him know the status of the maps you mentioned:

- DmDUCTS - in my todo pile

- Library (by Sunstorm Interactive, the original version, NOT the "DX" version which IIRC came out with one of those random shitty DN3D 'addons' and which completely ruined the map) - shitty version is currently hosted under "unknown author, i'll submit the original

- Mohave (by Robert Travis)  - already hosted - needs review

- Krachtest - currently hosted under "unknown author" - needs review

- Entrepot  -in my todo pile

- Courette -in my todo pile

- Daisy II -been submitted, will need a review

- DK3 -hosted, needs a review

- Mega Socked Devil Ruins - in my todo list

- Hexi -in my todo list

- Night And Day -been submitted, will need a review

- Snow -been submitted, will need a review

- Alcatraz -hosted, needs a review

-probably other maps which have both SP and DM- That's up to Puritan if he wants multiple-aspect reviews on maps (then on Duke64 to do the DM portion if he has time) - when taking into consideration how many SP maps have Coop/DM implemented into them, that's ALOT of maps

methy

yeah but most maps who have both SP and DM won't work well in DM, only a few will.

As for canyon bunker yes that's v1, but apparently my memory is flimsy, 'cause I thought version had no bushes and no jetpack/steroids (the bushes ruin movement until they get burnt and steroids/jetpack ruin the map because only few players will know how to get the jetpack and it makes things uneven).

So it seems it was the beta version which didn't have those and which was better. In other words, v2 doesn't change as much as I thought and it is a bit better than v1 (but both worse than beta)... So yeah after all I don't need v1, but thanks for finding it.
I won't re-change the map now as it is too late now. Maybe if someday I make another DM map I will make a v3 of Canyon Bunker (since I made v2 when I released Atomic Bunker, exactly one year after v1).

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: methy on  18 September 2014, 17:29:26
As for canyon bunker yes that's v1
sorry, i don't have any earlier versions.

Quote from: methy on  18 September 2014, 17:29:26
yeah but most maps who have both SP and DM won't work well in DM, only a few will.
true. aside from the few you mentioned that's still a huge amount of maps to sift through and test to see which ones are worth a DM aspect review. I think your suggestion is good and holds merit, but considering the amount of unreviewed DM maps currently hosted (and new/unhosted releases), it might not be an immediate priority. Additionally the current method for testing the maps is to upload them to the steam workshop. That's quite a bit of work added to it. I'm not trying to shoot you down, but i'm looking at the current situation, not the big picture. Really not up to me anyway, but it's something that should be done eventually.

edit: I guess part of my perspective is from the an all inclusive point of view. It makes sense to review SP maps with good DM play, but the bad ones should be done too. It lets people know which ones are good vs. which ones are bad.

methy

Sometimes it's pretty obvious when a map was given DM start point at the last second 'just because' even though DM was never the intention. Those maps shouldn't even be considered at all for DM reviews. When a SP map also works well in DM it generally means the mapper put some effort in that sense other than 'put DM spawnpoint to call it DM compatible'.

Duke64Nukem

I'm pretty sure i already had plans for Atomic Bunker and a few others beforehand. I can get to as many maps as I can and i'm pretty knowledge of already established mappers. Remember i'm a mapper to :) currently there hasn't been a time where i'm not working on a map in 10 months. I'm glad any will look at these I hope it excites for DM maps. Even for mappers who don't have alot of time. Dm is smaller and easier but that doesn't mean it cant be made uniquely and nice.