Stop Sprites from falling (upsidedown room)

Started by Captain Massive, 13 October 2014, 20:00:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Massive

I making an upsidedown underwater room you enter through a hole in the ceiling using TROR, it took time to mirror and flip them and all the other rooms you can see out through the windows.

Problem 1: all my sprites - barrels, lamps, phones etc.. all sink to the floor ruining the effect, is there any way using F8 or script_expertmode to stop them from falling.

Problem 2: I build most of my level on test maps and copy them over just in-case I want to overlap stuff among other things, but when I copy TROR's they get all flubbed up.
Massive Out....

Forge

floor aligned blocking invisible sprites

the downside is if it's underwater the player might be able to get on top of the sprite and stop drowning
even if they are blocking the player can still go up through them (unless they are 1-sided?)

other option is to do something with tror to keep them from falling. this and tror getting messed up during copy-paste operations will probably have to be answered by MickyC
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Captain Massive

Wow amazing idea, I never would have thought of that and I have a few invisible switches allready.

I'll probably use sprite 3026 (blank).

Thanks  ;D
Massive Out....

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  13 October 2014, 23:15:31
will probably have to be answered by MickyC

I can give more help than you bargained for. As a result of Bob Averill's BobSP4, one of the eduke developers put in a little feature where if you give a floor-aligned sprite an xvel of 1, it will no longer cause the underwater bug when you're above the sprite.

As for the TROR sectors, try holding down right shift when you release alt, which should select ALL the sectors in the box, i.e all the TROR sectors, still connected together.

Maybe some unwanted help; a while ago I asked someone to write some mapster script which automatically turns selected sectors upside down, so I hope you didn't waste too much time doing that :P
Wall whore.

High Treason

Another way may be to make a 1-sided wall with the floor behind at the height you want the sprites... This room would have to be "visible" to the player from wherever he would be able to see the sprite - when I say visible, I mean if the wall wasn't there, the game will still draw the sector. You could also use a very thin sector along a wall if your sprite is near a wall.

Enable script_expertmode in the console. F8 the sprite and change the Sectnum to the sector you made, the sprite would fall but think it's floor was the one in the sector you made - so it would hit that and hover improbably in mid-air. At least, in theory.

I suspect the other solutions given may be better, but this sectnum trick is under-used IMO. It is a pain in the ass though because every time you alter the map you'll have to set the sprite back or it will correct the sectnum on it's own. Trivial shit; you can even hook things up to moving sectors this way and, yes, it will move. For shits and giggles, put an object in a mirror sector and then set it's sectnum to the one in front of the mirror, it does weird stuff, I used it in Poormann's Library until MetHy broke one of them.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Captain Massive

I can give more help than you bargained for. As a result of Bob Averill's BobSP4, one of the eduke developers put in a little feature where if you give a floor-aligned sprite an xvel of 1, it will no longer cause the underwater bug when you're above the sprite.

I will try that for sure thanks.

QuoteAs for the TROR sectors, try holding down right shift when you release alt, which should select ALL the sectors in the box, i.e all the TROR sectors, still connected together.

I'll give it a shot, these things have a way of fighting me, hopefully it works. :o

QuoteMaybe some unwanted help; a while ago I asked someone to write some mapster script which automatically turns selected sectors upside down, so I hope you didn't waste too much time doing that :P

Yea it took me a very long time across multiple complicated rooms I kept putting it off, it was one of the 1st ideas I had and finally got the patience to carry it out, how does that function work since I may have to redo it.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

Quote from: High Treason on  14 October 2014, 15:51:33
Another way may be to make a 1-sided wall with the floor behind at the height you want the sprites... This room would have to be "visible" to the player from wherever he would be able to see the sprite - when I say visible, I mean if the wall wasn't there, the game will still draw the sector. You could also use a very thin sector along a wall if your sprite is near a wall.

Enable script_expertmode in the console. F8 the sprite and change the Sectnum to the sector you made, the sprite would fall but think it's floor was the one in the sector you made - so it would hit that and hover improbably in mid-air. At least, in theory.

I suspect the other solutions given may be better, but this sectnum trick is under-used IMO. It is a pain in the ass though because every time you alter the map you'll have to set the sprite back or it will correct the sectnum on it's own. Trivial shit; you can even hook things up to moving sectors this way and, yes, it will move. For shits and giggles, put an object in a mirror sector and then set it's sectnum to the one in front of the mirror, it does weird stuff, I used it in Poormann's Library until MetHy broke one of them.

I'll try this out on a test map just to be sure I grasp the method, but it wont work for what I am doing since I have duplicate right side up sectors & it has to match perfectly on both of them :Thanks for your help.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

No xvel listed under F8, what is xvel and where does one find it?
Massive Out....

Forge

it's short for x-velocity
2d mode
F8
far right column under Angle

Micky C

The sector flipping script has instructions inside the file itself. The only thing is, when it says "type xxxxxxxxx" it really means "open the console with the tilde key and type xxxxxxxxxxxx" in case that isn't clear.
Wall whore.

Captain Massive

Oh, sorry about that my shorthand reading skills are bit rusty  :P

The last time I built a Duke level my computer was so old it had an 8-Track player in it.

It had wooden panels on it.

If we wanted Poly-anything you had to buy a parrot.

And my Modem was a rotary phone.

I'm Joking of course thanks for clearing that up. :D

Massive Out....

Forge

Quote from: Captain Massive on  15 October 2014, 04:58:09
The last time I built a Duke level my computer was so old it had an 8-Track player in it.
watch it now. Puritan and I still use those  ;D

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise