Hogwash (Siege on Triton 3) Release

Started by Captain Massive, 19 November 2014, 10:06:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Massive

I released a Beta of my map, please let me know what you think so I can make modifications and weed out any bugs.

I think it might be a bit hard so if I need to adjust it let me know. Link below

https://www.sendspace.com/file/kcrob3

I just realised I left my placeholder monsters on the map so the count will be off.
Massive Out....

Micky C

Had a super quick look in mapster. Naming your music "dethtoll" is very bad practice as it's likely to conflict with other "dethtoll" tracks the user may or may not have in their main folder. Just give the ogg the same name as the map and eduke will play it automatically. The other thing is have you considered giving your underwater areas a blue fogpal? (pal 29 IIRC).
Wall whore.

Forge

the base interior - especially along the hallways and corridors - really needs wall shading and some architectural trimwork to break up the long flat surfaces and give the opportunity for some texture combinations.

some areas could use stronger lighting/shading contrasts - like the dining hall as one example

speaking of the dining hall, making the player backtrack all the way through the vents after getting the blue key kinda sucked, should let the player use a switch or something to open a passage back into the dining hall.

some of the 'i've hit a switch or blown up a reator - wtf do i do next' instances were pretty confusing. Several times I had no clue what unlocked or opened.

overall the alien to weapon/supply items ratio was fine

the layout was good except for the puzzle confusion and the need for the dining hall loop

the map generally looks decent, but needs alot of cleanup work. wall sprite decorations are blocking, quite a few doors and other moving effects cause sector clipping issues, that cart at the end to get to the nuke-button doesn't work quite right and is easily broke, needs some textures cleaned up/aligned/un-stretched, other general touch-ups and tuning
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Captain Massive

Quote from: Forge on  19 November 2014, 15:47:49
making the player backtrack all the way through the vents after getting the blue key kinda sucked, should let the player use a switch or something to open a passage back into the dining hall.

Maybe I should remove that trash can under the vent, your not supposed to exit back through the vent, there is a door next the dishwasher you can to exit through it is unlocked by one of the switches in the blue key area, its shown on the mess hall monitor as a visual clue but from behind the door.

plus it says exit right on it  :o
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

Quote from: Micky C on  19 November 2014, 13:25:53
Just give the ogg the same name as the map and eduke will play it automatically. The other thing is have you considered giving your underwater areas a blue fogpal? (pal 29 IIRC).

I did not know this about the oggs - thanks.

I did try the blue pal at 1st and it was super mega bright blue to me, is it not supposed to do that? I'll give it another look maybe my settings are messed up. although 26 looked good in the showers so only used it there.

Edit: I also used it in the walk-in cooler.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

some of the 'i've hit a switch or blown up a reator - wtf do i do next' instances were pretty confusing. Several times I had no clue what unlocked or opened.

wall sprite decorations are blocking.

I was afraid of that happining, I even added a monitor next to each combo switch in hopes it would clue you in.

Speaking of sprites, mapster is having issues with some of mine.

For instance a forcesphere which I had in the reactor core worked through countless renditions and was working for a month at least has now decided not show up, but shows in up mapster, (it figures it broke on a release map and not before now), anyways it also ate my cannon once as well and some ammo I placed in the cave area all the way across the map.

Is this a known bug? It can be worked around by replacing the existing/offending sprite but reoccurred on the ammo twice now, theres just to many sprites to keep track of them all hopefully there is a remedy for this.

It ate a freaking cannon for Pete's sake.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

By the way most everthing has a function, hand dryers in the bathroom (gives pipe bombs), rotisserie oven (gives atomic health) , coke machine (gives cola or small health), dish washer (gives armor), microwave (gives grow ammo), every locker opens and some secrets I hope you can hopefully find easily. So if low on health, ammo, armor try using everything.

And boobs/targets (best activated using a tripmine, you'll see why) gives a rocket launcher if you can find the sub-secret.

Killing fems will spawn a lizman to punish you as well.

I can only find sector clipping issues on the med bay doors leading into the operating room. what were the others?

Also as a joke try using the do not enter door right before the mess hall  ;D

Theres also other Easter eggs like the 88 perfume bottle for instance.

Thanks to Forge for taking the time to playtest this and giving an honest opinion, I left out all details in hopes you could find them on your own.

Changes will be forthcoming to the read-me which I spent like 30sec on, and the map itself of course.

One last thing theres a button in secret 2 that disables the vent tripmine, nothing more it does not open any doors.
Massive Out....

Forge

i found most of that stuff, and probably the switch to cover up the tripmine in the vent - since i didn't encounter it.
i also used the shotgun on the 'nipple' targets - which seemed to work just fine

if you want an in depth beta-test send me the updated map, i'll go over it and give you a more detailed feedback.

Captain Massive

the base interior - especially along the hallways and corridors - really needs wall shading and some architectural trimwork to break up the long flat surfaces and give the opportunity for some texture combinations.

This was by design to transition it so other areas really stood out by comparison and it has an explosion, earthquake, mirror, pressure maintenance thingy and other stuff going on in that area, I might reconsider if it doesn't take away from the more showy areas.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

I haven't gotten back to it just yet, give me a day or 2 to weed things out, and that sprite glitch is making it so I have to playtest after every other edit so eats up time on my end.

My kids are awful at this game and cant get past the 1st room so thanks for you help.

I will credit Forge and Micky-C in the final text unless there are any objections.

Massive Out....

Forge

Quote from: Captain Massive on  19 November 2014, 22:45:55
This was by design to transition it so other areas really stood out by comparison
I might reconsider if it doesn't take away from the more showy areas.
that's not the impression i got. It was more along the lines of it being unimportant sections of the map to the mapper so they were left underworked.
The transition was poor going back and forth between nice areas and plain unadorned flat areas.

Captain Massive

Quote from: Forge on  20 November 2014, 00:25:35
Quote from: Captain Massive on  19 November 2014, 22:45:55
This was by design to transition it so other areas really stood out by comparison
I might reconsider if it doesn't take away from the more showy areas.
that's not the impression i got. It was more along the lines of it being unimportant sections of the map to the mapper so they were left underworked.
The transition was poor going back and forth between nice areas and plain unadorned flat areas.

Fair enough it could use some support beams I geuss.
Massive Out....

Micky C

I don't feel I deserve any special credit, I barely did anything. Then again nobody ever reads the text files so it won't make any difference whether you add me or not :P
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  20 November 2014, 04:36:11
I don't feel I deserve any special credit, I barely did anything.
ditto.

it's just suggestions, observations, and opinions.

You want me to spend a day or two on it beta-testing then it'd fine to mention me if you want to, otherwise it'd be better to just make note of the nice folks at this site in general.

Captain Massive

Noted, CGS Forums for advise & playtesting added. Plus the Easter egg I added   ::)

Fire alarms will give freeze ammo in the next rendition as well.

Allot has been reshaded trimmed & fixed, I need to think of new doors for the operating room which will take some doing seeing I already used up all my good ideas up door wise.

Sprite bug update: the level just ate a fire I placed in the cavern  >:(
Massive Out....