Duke Nukem Boards > Workbench: Classic Duke 3D

Hogwash (Siege on Triton 3) Release

(1/10) > >>

Captain Massive:
I released a Beta of my map, please let me know what you think so I can make modifications and weed out any bugs.

I think it might be a bit hard so if I need to adjust it let me know. Link below

https://www.sendspace.com/file/kcrob3

I just realised I left my placeholder monsters on the map so the count will be off.

Micky C:
Had a super quick look in mapster. Naming your music "dethtoll" is very bad practice as it's likely to conflict with other "dethtoll" tracks the user may or may not have in their main folder. Just give the ogg the same name as the map and eduke will play it automatically. The other thing is have you considered giving your underwater areas a blue fogpal? (pal 29 IIRC).

Forge:
the base interior - especially along the hallways and corridors - really needs wall shading and some architectural trimwork to break up the long flat surfaces and give the opportunity for some texture combinations.

some areas could use stronger lighting/shading contrasts - like the dining hall as one example

speaking of the dining hall, making the player backtrack all the way through the vents after getting the blue key kinda sucked, should let the player use a switch or something to open a passage back into the dining hall.

some of the 'i've hit a switch or blown up a reator - wtf do i do next' instances were pretty confusing. Several times I had no clue what unlocked or opened.

overall the alien to weapon/supply items ratio was fine

the layout was good except for the puzzle confusion and the need for the dining hall loop

the map generally looks decent, but needs alot of cleanup work. wall sprite decorations are blocking, quite a few doors and other moving effects cause sector clipping issues, that cart at the end to get to the nuke-button doesn't work quite right and is easily broke, needs some textures cleaned up/aligned/un-stretched, other general touch-ups and tuning

Captain Massive:

--- Quote from: Forge on November 19, 2014, 03:47:49 PM ---making the player backtrack all the way through the vents after getting the blue key kinda sucked, should let the player use a switch or something to open a passage back into the dining hall.
--- End quote ---

Maybe I should remove that trash can under the vent, your not supposed to exit back through the vent, there is a door next the dishwasher you can to exit through it is unlocked by one of the switches in the blue key area, its shown on the mess hall monitor as a visual clue but from behind the door.

plus it says exit right on it  :o

Captain Massive:

--- Quote from: Micky C on November 19, 2014, 01:25:53 PM ---Just give the ogg the same name as the map and eduke will play it automatically. The other thing is have you considered giving your underwater areas a blue fogpal? (pal 29 IIRC).

--- End quote ---

I did not know this about the oggs - thanks.

I did try the blue pal at 1st and it was super mega bright blue to me, is it not supposed to do that? I'll give it another look maybe my settings are messed up. although 26 looked good in the showers so only used it there.

Edit: I also used it in the walk-in cooler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version