[RELEASE] Red 2 remake 2014

Started by Merlijn, 22 November 2014, 12:45:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Heh well the original was made in a time without e-duke and without a way to bypass the old limits (1024 sectors and about 8000 walls IIRC), so yeah I guess by todays standards it looks pretty basic.

Anyway, I'm glad you gave it a shot! You should play it at least on let's rock though, the easiest setting is.. well.. easy!  :P

I can't be very objective about my own work, so it's nice to see an outsiders perspective. I didn't know the difference in quality between the red1 remake and this one was so big. :)

Micky C

Yes while there is some quality difference (as would be expected between a mere touchup compared with a remake by a mapper in his prime), most of the difference is in the "feel" for a lack of better word, a collection of imperceptibly small issues. I.e things that aren't necessarily wrong or bad, but that you wouldn't have done the same way if you'd redone the map from scratch.

I'll see about trying the rest of the series over the next few days.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Thanks, and yeah I get where you're coming from. :)

About the rest of the series: red3 still wasn't my peak when it comes to design, so you might see some 'primitive' looking stuff here and there. It's mostly remembered because it built a scary atmosphere by using sounds, story and scripted sequences. At that time, this was something new for DN3D. Of course, now it has been done countless times and with more expanded effects and scripted sequences. But this one started it and I'm still proud of that. :)

Red4 is a complex map, I still really like the design and the general idea although some areas are quite cramped. It also has another 4 button puzzle, similar to the one in red2. I guess you won't like that. :P

Red5 is still the one I consider to be the best, especially the underground sections.

ck3D

i've said it countless times before, but red4 was a personal favorite of mine (and a longtime inspiration) for a while. literally blew me away the first time i played it. i remember red 5 as being really good too, but red 4 was one of the first modern duke maps i ever played in my life so it was one of those moments that stick with you. i actually might replay some maps of the series later today !

Merlijn

I can relate to that, I had a similar reaction when I first played the Roch series. Roch4 blew me away, I didn't know it was possible to do that kind of stuff with the editor.