[RELEASE] Hogwash :Siege on Triton 3

Started by Captain Massive, 26 November 2014, 10:27:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Massive

I probably should add.... I took the time to go in the game files and tab the size of every sprite and categorize them before I started building to give it a retail look or feel, it took time but I feel it paid off.

So every sprite you see is regulation size including the ocean sprites (what a pain that was) I took liberties on the giant blue Newbeast but that's about it and few other things I cannot recall.
Massive Out....

MSandt

Surprisingly good map. The Polymer lights look cool judging by the screenshots but I couldn't play in Polymer myself. Took me 27 minutes, which makes it a pretty long map.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

methy

I played without polymer and nothing seemed to lack.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

i tried it in polymost awhile back and suggested that it'd probably be steam compatible with only minor work
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Captain Massive

Nice 8) I'm glad to get two reviews up so soon. I'm glad people liked it.

One thing I might add because I didn't know it was even an option and it was not added to the text, is that I had no idea 8-bit was even selectable until now, I also hear polymost works but haven't checked it yet. OK I tried polymost and the mirrors were all messed up

So to avoid the mirror bugs run it in 32-bit polymer and it should be fine. (the mirrors in the barracks while doors are open still have minor issues)

I am working on a new project involving a working bowling alley. (has that been done yet?) so most of my free time has been dedicated to that.

Also don't backtrack through the empty base (I had the door there for realism or in-case you needed a water supply for health) theres a nice octo & shark attack if you take the airlock route back.

My fix would have been to remove the button and set the masterswitch to zero so it would only unlock from the reactor keeping the realism intact.

Maybe I'll redux the level at a later date and debug it for all modes.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

I have a literal junkyard of stuff that didn't make the cut for this level, including two versions of the sub bay I didn't like, a speed boat entrance that led to an island so you can transport elevator down, a crazy alien boss room where you need to place pipebombs on cranes to pummel the boss, and a huge alien tunnel system leading to an upsidedown version of the uderwater room.

Most cuts were to save framerate & walls. If your PC is old and it gets lagtasic, I feel your pain I haven't updated mine since 2006.

I get like 9-12fps looking out the 1st windows.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

As far as fixing the mirrors I might have hit a few snags in a couple of areas.

For example the bathroom mirrors which you walk behind.

I had to pull the vertices's allll the way back to where the swinging doors would not clip into that sector, because they would sometimes push you behind the mirror getting you stuck.

Is there anything that I could do here? maybe changing sector height behind the mirror, or blockable walls, I dunno.

Also sliding mirrors might not look right no-matter what I try. :-\
Massive Out....

Puritan

Quote from: Captain Massive on  09 December 2014, 11:15:31

Have a look at the sliding mirror in Duke's bathroom ( starting area)
is this what you're looking for?

This map
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Captain Massive

Quote from: Puritan on  09 December 2014, 12:12:06
Quote from: Captain Massive on  09 December 2014, 11:15:31

Have a look at the sliding mirror in Duke's bathroom ( starting area)
is this what you're looking for?

This map

My map has 2 sliding mirrors both built from scratch since they are at different heights and angles it was easier just to make them individually.

My concern was they have a very small backs so might only work in polymer mode.

I'll look at the map anyways just to see if its any different or works in non polymer

We did build them completely different (I used the http://infosuite.dukerepository.com/index.php?page=ae_doors_b3 at the bottom of the page using the gspeed-0 trick, but they somehow both work in 8-bit at least the one in my medbay operating room does, the mirrors in my barracks continue to have issues in all modes.

I am unsure why some mirrors act differently since they are all 1 sided, and all non doors talk & leave bullet holes, but some still give HOM in non poly.

I'll try polymost next to see if its that causing it. no difference I'm stumped  :-[
Massive Out....

MSandt

Dunno what the engine guys have done with the mirrors. EDuke32 mirrors (i.e., those with small "backs") used to work fine in Polymost but apparently they don't anymore, at least not in this map (unless it's something else that's causing it).

Quote from: Captain Massive on  08 December 2014, 23:59:20
Most cuts were to save framerate & walls. If your PC is old and it gets lagtasic, I feel your pain I haven't updated mine since 2006.

I get like 9-12fps looking out the 1st windows.

Really? And you decided to make it a Polymer map? My computer is actually pretty good, capable of running Battlefield 4 easily on normal/high settings, but Polymer is notoriously incompatible with AMD GPUs. I got about 15-20 fps in your map, which is way too low to be playable.

Captain Massive

Quote from: MSandt on  09 December 2014, 15:31:56
Really? And you decided to make it a Polymer map? My computer is actually pretty good, capable of running Battlefield 4 easily on normal/high settings, but Polymer is notoriously incompatible with AMD GPUs. I got about 15-20 fps in your map, which is way too low to be playable.

When I was working on Starship Troopers TC I couldn't even play my own map (was getting zero fps), so kinda got used to the idea.

I can still play my map without issue, but theres 2 or 3 places the FPS bottom out for a short time, then my rig catches up & somehow not affecting combat to badly in those places.
Massive Out....

Captain Massive

Quote from: MSandt on  09 December 2014, 15:31:56
Dunno what the engine guys have done with the mirrors. EDuke32 mirrors (i.e., those with small "backs") used to work fine in Polymost but apparently they don't anymore, at least not in this map (unless it's something else that's causing it).

Must be something else since my sliding mirror door in the medbay works in all modes.

I have a sneaky suspicion its the 1 sided masks used to emulate water on the windows, so looking at it from underwater you don't see that effect, just from inside the base.

Mask walls also caused problems with TROR so I deleted all TROR from the map.
Massive Out....

MSandt

The crew quarters mirror (with the secret back) does work.

Which map did you make for the SST TC? Some Arachnid respawns did cause several slowdowns for me too back in the day.

Captain Massive

The base one with the spawns and cannon towers, I'm unsure if they even used it, but I'm still credited in the text.

I also have credits and a map on Jonah Bishops mapfaq
Massive Out....