Is steam's multiplayer worthy of 10€ ?

Started by Arghantyl, 09 December 2014, 08:08:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Arghantyl

I'm a bit bored of Yang community   :-\

I ve heard than steam didnt make a good job,than lags and trafic are just terrible.
From another side,the fact i could meet other people and advertise my maps through workshop could seduce me.

So did they improve the engine since one year ?
What's about people there ?
Another day,another challenge.

Micky C

I'm under the impression not many people play the multiplayer these day, i.e you'll have to have friends who'll play the game with you.

Megaton's been on sale loads of times, including the humble bundle for $1. Just grab it when it's 75% off or more.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Yeah there aren't many around to play with you. I once tried to find a server; it took a while for one to show up and when it did, the host was such a long way that my ping was about 200. I still won despite the ping disadvantage, 10 to -1 or something, because he was such a noob.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

methy

You can join Steam groups to find people to play with, so it's still the best way to find DN3D multiplayer action.

Beside that, Megaton's multiplayer is pretty laggy. Megaton can also be glitchy. Also, the maps for the addons were modified for multiplayer, including gameplay/balance chances.

What I suggest is waiting for a sale. It's already been on sale several times, it will be again. You can easily get it for 5 or less.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Duke64Nukem

I play all the time as long as you have good connection you should be good to go and location can matter a bit also just like any other Duke port. It has got a lot better since the early beta days I fear the hole "beta" thing helped kill it for pro Dukers. Simply because I think they gave it a shot during the release beta and said wtf then called it a day. It was absolutely horrible playing the release beta much better now but you will still have a crash or two but seriously depends on your connection strength. As for players I rarely ever run short of them because of my steam group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dukenukembegins If you do end up getting it be sure join that group it will help you find matches/talk and show off your map to the other people inside of the chatroom. I thought Megaton alone without the mp was worth 10 I bought it full price without it just because it was Duke. But sales do come very often and I don't see Christmas time passing without Duke 3D finding it's way on sale again somewhere.

I posted this video the same day I recorded it so 11-30-14 8 player DM on Minidoom. Once again there's only 2 people in that mach that aren't from my group so it is responsible for 6 of the players being there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AA2R85FPgQ&list=UUdKLw3Hz7395We-15wrUZAw you tell me if it's to laggy watch in 720p60hd settings to see exactly how it runs for me (while fraps is on recording).
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Arghantyl

To be totally honest, the multiplayer for megaton is nearly dead. Hardly anyone plays the game anymore due to the lack of updates to it. Glitches that still exist, features that were never added, and multiple netcode issues! I'm not saying it's entirely bad, after all it's still playable, but the game shouldn't be lacking this bad for having been out for what, a year? (Not Duke 3D, just megaton itself) This is modern day, we are not in 1996, we don't want LAN netcode. To be fair, DN3D is hard to get a modern netcode for since it is an old game, but nonetheless. Termit, Lunick, let's do something about this guys.

Picked up from Duke4ever.com.

Well it seems than Steam promised a lotta of things to sell their game.It 's certainly the third generation of marketing in video games,selling products which hasn't been done yet.Good move steam.

Also , having a certain expérience in duking ,i can enumerate 2 evils which are killing eco systeme :

_ Old network code (Lags,crashs,no server....)
_ Unfriendly games (No coop,hard modding...)

When i see what have made the doom community like Zandronum ,this makes me really sick.
Doom is older but they managed to turn it into a modern port supporting up to 32 players and allowing modders to create crazy stuff.

Résuming :

_The development of steam's port is dead.
_The development of eduke32 port is dead.
_The new born Dukematcher dont even aim to achieve something.

So what can we expect ?  :-\
Quote from: Duke64Nukem on  09 December 2014, 17:20:53
I play all the time as long as you have good connection you should be good to go and location can matter a bit also just like any other Duke port.

Hmm,i have about 120 of ping playing with an american.And what are these skins on your videos.Duke is always wearing reds gloves  ???

Duke64Nukem

I don't know who said that but while he has some true points, doesn't make any sense Lunick is not a developer for the game and it's not that they stopped playing because of lack of updates why there has been 2 just last month. It's just that well the many many fans DN3D has I don't think half of them even play mp not to mention it's a classic that most of them probably play occasions. It may be dead for some but depends who you know, if you know nobody that plays well then it will be hard to find any people to play with. Yeah there is things missing that they promised which in the end well some of it isn't that important at least to me I don't think an fov slider really matters.

As long as I can play and even video record some for later in life to look back on i'm good to go. Since I was more familiar with DN64 multiplayer when I was younger with a 4 player limit 8 is the most I ever seen I don't see a use for 32 Dukes when 8 is already hectic enough with Duke. I guess to see what it's like but I imagine something like that would be a giant pistol festival of spam hehe. Anyway the Dnf red gloves is from a mod that I further modified and added new weapons to replacing weapons are from Duke Nukem 64.

Micky C

What makes you think eduke32's development is dead? Updates are happening to it on a nearly daily basis, not necessarily the multiplayer but the port is definitely not dead.

TerminX basically said he'd pay someone to finish the eduke multiplayer once the eduke32 android port comes out and starts generating some income. When it's done, eduke32's multiplayer will have huge advantages such as:
In-game joining (no longer needing to wait for a new game to start).
Better servers, and only the host needs to have the map file, which means you don't need to bother will all the players having the same maps all the time.
Mod support, I imagine some people will want to make multiplayer mods when this happens.
No out of sync issues, ever.
Most likely reduced lag due to the system being re-written from scratch for modern networks.
I've also read that they're going to make an interface for it so there wouldn't be any need for yang or whatever.

No one knows exactly when it'll be finished though, it's been a few years since the new code was started. Like I said hopefully the android port will be a success and TX can actually pay someone to finish it to speed things up (he's too busy taking care of his kid to do it himself lately). Note that there are other developers on the port, but they're working on other aspects.
Wall whore.

methy

Quote from: Duke64Nukem on  09 December 2014, 17:20:53
I play all the time as long as you have good connection you should be good to go and location can matter a bit also just like any other Duke port.

A 1v1 fight in Megaton between me and another person from my country will have more lantecy than a 1v1 fight between me and someone from a not too close country using other multiplayer programs.
And I'm saying this because I tried with several people, not just one other guy from my country with a poor connection. Also I have the fastest internet connection available where I live.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Duke64Nukem

Can I invite you sometime to play and see if that happens? I play with friends from Chile and I am from USA and we play fine I even play with friends from Europe and played with Norvak to all from different countries :D I'm not sure how you had that experience that sucks it really does.

Arghantyl

Quote from: Micky C on  14 December 2014, 07:25:46
What makes you think eduke32's development is dead? Updates are happening to it on a nearly daily basis, not necessarily the multiplayer but the port is definitely not dead.

When i say dead,i mean "not happening in the next decade with this rate of développment."
Thanks for the feedback tough,i didn t see any of these informations on Duke4  :o

Thats exactly what's about i was thinking.
Unless a massive investment of dollars can make a breakthrough in the messy code of Duke3D.
How can eduke 32 port on android can generate income ? Is there any kind of publicity videos between each map played  ???

Quote from: Duke64Nukem on  14 December 2014, 07:38:21
Can I invite you sometime to play and see if that happens? I play with friends from Chile and I am from USA and we play fine I even play with friends from Europe and played with Norvak to all from different countries :D I'm not sure how you had that experience that sucks it really does.

The only problem i got in terms of connection are with brasilian guys aka 300 pings.
And what 's about crash ? When too much sprites are spawned like 20 corpses exploding in same time,the game usually ends brutally.
Dont worry anyway,i plan to buy steam's product for the start of the new year.
I will just stick on dukematcher for a while  :)

Friends from Chile ? Do you know a Noldor Ranzou ?

Duke64Nukem

Yep Noldor a good friend of mine and one of the guys who plays DM more often. Here is a video with Noldor in it on his map NRV house haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvrPlnTYagQ&list=UUdKLw3Hz7395We-15wrUZAw. Other then Megaton I play sometimes on Meltdown time to time and well it's a great place like Yang the only real upper hand Megaton has is that it's worldwide because of being on steam so it isn't limited to just die hard Duke fans or die hard build engine fans. Yet it still lacks players somehow I think it's the "cant join a match that's in progress" that makes people never find matches while on Meltdown you can see the match even if you cant join in, but I seem to get a match almost anytime(306 friends that play Megaton) I am not saying it's better then other places I would rather play Meltdown due to it's simplicity but steam has population control at the moment for pc play.

As for a new mp on eduke32 count me in if things go as planned for TX then that would be grrrroovy tony the tiger time xD

Arghantyl

Quote from: Duke64Nukem on  14 December 2014, 17:34:03
Yep Noldor a good friend of mine and one of the guys who plays DM more often. Here is a video with Noldor in it on his map NRV house haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvrPlnTYagQ&list=UUdKLw3Hz7395We-15wrUZAw.

Super,NRV house is just an awesome map and i ve got with Noldor some of my best duke time.

Yet it still lacks players somehow I think it's the "cant join a match that's in progress" that makes people never find matches while on Meltdown you can see the match even if you cant join in, but I seem to get a match almost anytime(306 friends that play Megaton)
Hmm it s really annoying.

As for a new mp on eduke32 count me in if things go as planned for TX then that would be grrrroovy tony the tiger time xD

I feel it more like a dream than a plan.Too many "if".

Micky C

The eduke port on android will be a paid app. They've got a contract with 3DR to be the official version of duke 3d on that platform. They may also release a paid iOS version.
Wall whore.

Arghantyl

Quote from: Micky C on  15 December 2014, 01:07:09
The eduke port on android will be a paid app. They've got a contract with 3DR to be the official version of duke 3d on that platform. They may also release a paid iOS version.

Yeah i ve seen that now.I dont see how tough he will earn enough money to hire someone.