News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

[Release] JMW-SP2

Started by JMW, 09 December 2014, 18:18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JMW

Second SP map for Duke. Also on Steam...

Story: Hold your breath with Duke as he defies gravity and tracks down more alien scum...in space! After Duke saved Earth, the aliens retreated to a nearby space station.   It appears that the alien bastards were able to escape with some of our Earth women...oh no!!! ...what could they be up too?!?!?!   Fly in with Duke and investigate, save the ladies, AND BE A HERO!!!

Link:

http://www.jmwrightdesigns.t15.org/maps/JMW-SP2.zip

CGS - review/download

MSandt

Am I sensing a bit of Facing Worlds inspiration?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

MSandt

Pretty good, took me 10 minutes. Didn't like the low visibility though; a map like this should have full visibility. Anyway, I still had a blue card when I hit the Nukebutton so I have no idea what it was for.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Captain Massive

Took me at least an hour but I'm a very average player plus I ran down for a beer.

It was a bit scarce on health or ammo at 1st, had to save several times, once inside the base it was a cake walk, seems the pacing was slightly offset front to back (I could have really used the 1st Aid Kit sooner, by the time I got one I didn't need either one of them).

I used every keycard I found but there was switch that was unusable. (Doors that don't open and buttons used for decoration erk me a bit)

Other than that it was a solid map.

(I'm not sure how these players are beating all these maps in such short order, maybe I'm just getting old and slow.)

I thought the visibility was fine otherwise you would be getting pegged from way too far away.

Soundtrack was solid as well.
Massive Out....

MSandt

I found the first key lock on my second playthrough; apparently it's for the bridge. However, you can easily jump across the void from the rocky part which is only slightly above the bridge.

Anyway, reviewed: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotjmwsp2.php

JMW

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nice catch on jumping over and not needing the first card.  No one pulled the matrix jump in testing.

I didn't think it would be a good idea to see the entire map most of the time as the frames would tank...they already hit 30 in some spots.  There is a DM version on steam that allows for more of this type of play and visibility.
Actually had a couple people say they liked how much they could see from certain parts of the map...

Ah...Palette 3 on the floors...oops...but it's not a map breaker.  I did notice the cards were the same color!

Also, Duke has ordered some lime green 1970's refrigerators as a parting gift for the Alien ship to match their retro style.

Thanks again and thanks for checking it out!

Forge

Same thing with the blue key. The player can make the jump.
Ditto for the red key. The player can circle around and jump over the ramp leading up to the second "island" (see attached pic - jump to where the eggs are)

The architecture and sector based construction is pretty good. Aesthetically i think the only gripe i can come up with is it could have used sector shading in the outdoor areas for floor contrasts.  None of the buildings or walls were casting shadows.

The falls in some places needed to be deeper - stupid people like me enjoy goofing around too much - the crevice around the RPG is survivable. Most other drops around the "islands" are also survivable if the player finds the atomic health.

It was a pretty fun little map.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass