Idea ?

Started by Duke64Nukem, 13 December 2014, 08:45:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke64Nukem

Do we do highest rated map of the year if there was a tie you could just put both or something? or Best episode of the year/ best mod of the year ? I think it could be enjoyed and would push people to do more episodes like Duke Hard that was a great project. Just a suggestion towards more things that could be done I already enjoy mapper of the month though not mapper of the year though that's to weird to choose :P Is like the end of the year awards :D
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Micky C

I don't see how this would encourage people to make more content. As you yourself recently discovered, the main constraint is lack of time.
Wall whore.

Puritan

I could create a list on the statistics page that picks the 10 (?) highest rated releases during a year if that's what you want  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Captain Massive

Highest rated how, By review?

I would suggest this only if maps were rated by the community.

As it stands you can just play them as rated by maybe 2 two individuals who are kind enough to take the time to go over all these maps and review them.
Massive Out....

Forge

is someone questioning my impartiality and qualifications to do reviews (again)?

i just love how people are all the sudden experts on reviews and can so easily toss judgement from a distance at something I do in my free time to help out the community. That's the kind of bullshit that makes me want to throw my hands up and stop doing them. This is an open site; anybody can submit a review, but usually the loudest, whiniest motherfuckers are the ones who refuse to lift a finger to submit their own review. They like to bitch and make noise just to hear themselves talk, but don't want to open themselves up for the same criticism and flak that they so enjoy dishing out. j/k, i'm ranting to fuck with you. i really don't care. there's a 5 star rating system on the map's review page that can be used.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  13 December 2014, 16:33:19
is someone questioning my impartiality and qualifications to do reviews (again)?

;D

there's a 5 star rating system on the map's review page that can be used.

That feature is already a part of the statistics page. (Top 5 user rated maps.)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Captain Massive

i just love how people are all the sudden experts on reviews and can so easily toss judgement from a distance at something I do in my free time to help out the community. That's the kind of bullshit that makes me want to throw my hands up and stop doing them. This is an open site; anybody can submit a review, but usually the loudest, whiniest motherfuckers are the ones who refuse to lift a finger to submit their own review. They like to bitch and make noise just to hear themselves talk, but don't want to open themselves up for the same criticism and flak that they so enjoy dishing out. j/k, i'm ranting to fuck with you. i really don't care. there's a 5 star rating system on the map's review page that can be used.

Quite the reaction  :o

Listen I stated clearly (kind enough) in my statement.... nothing I said indicated your inability to rate maps, Infact I complemented you on your tireless quest.

The fact is what it is . One mans opinion is just that period, no matter how competent.

There can be NO sway in the ratings if only done by one person.

I would be happy to rate a map here and there... if it would help, but then again it would be my soul opinion of it & I accept that.

Plus all the 99's I could not complete ( I allways got stuck) never finished one of them.

Bottom line is that the average player ratings would differ from yours no-matter what you did.

Please keep doing what your doing - we like it, but its not ever going to be the consensus of the the community itself.

PS: I would rate maps on FUN alone, the rest is just eye candy witch adds to the score, but fun is a main factor & MY version of fun, VS your version of fun, VS uncle Henry's version may differ.

People sometimes forget that patstimes like playing a game aren't meant to be frustrating but.... Fun....... just.....fun. :D
Massive Out....

MSandt

Quote from: Captain Massive on  13 December 2014, 18:40:48
Bottom line is that the average player ratings would differ from yours no-matter what you did.

If theirs differed from mine, they'd simply be wrong. Who's interested in hearing wrong opinions?

QuotePS: I would rate maps on FUN alone, the rest is just eye candy witch adds to the score, but fun is a main factor & MY version of fun, VS your version of fun, VS uncle Henry's version may differ.

Eyecandy can be fun too!
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Captain Massive

quote author=MSandt link=topic=283.msg8491#msg8491 date=1418495317]
If theirs differed from mine, they'd simply be wrong. Who's interested in hearing wrong opinions?
[/quote]

Really bring it on....

I'll show you mine

Massive Out....

Captain Massive

Just a few pre-alpha things I might put to use.

Your word would be the same as explained above.

You must of known this coming in.

I have more but I'm busy this time of year.

And stop being douchebags.
Massive Out....

Forge

Quite the reaction  :o
*glug*glug* lay off the booze
i said i was kidding

that's why the average players make squeeky noises in forums instead of doing reviews

- we like it, but its not ever going to be the consensus of the the community itself.
since none of the community submit reviews on a consistent basis, then they're satisfied with my output; thus it is the consensus.

btw: Mikko isn't going to be impressed with a polymer map he can't properly play.

Quote from: MSandt on  13 December 2014, 19:28:37
Who's interested in hearing wrong opinions?
I am. I often read your reviews. Who doesn't like a good parody ?  ;)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

PS: I would rate maps on FUN alone, the rest is just eye candy witch adds to the score, but fun is a main factor & MY version of fun, VS your version of fun, VS uncle Henry's version may differ.

The thing with eye candy is the immersion. If there are misalligned textures everywhere, if rooms are particularly empty, and/or there is bad shading, then it really pulls you out of the map, hence is less fun.
Wall whore.

Duke64Nukem

Really ? I disagree I think Forge review map really smartly plus it keeps a steady basis one guys high score isn't the same as someone else's lets keep it limited to Forge for now and keep a balance and the 99 maps are 99 everywhere I think... If it's something I noticed is those maps have some really solid structure architecture and belong there game play isn't the only factor even though they don't lack that either. If you were slacking and not getting just about every map that's being released I would say okay but man you doing perfect job and staying ahead. There's usually two point of views since MSDN has it to I think is trusted mappers to review the maps. Anyway I didn't mean to stir up some things xD  i just think it adds to it it shouldn't be so competitive in a thought to expand some small things. Duke Hard get my vote for episode of the year
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

ck3D

Captain Massive - the act of typing in bold and italics and underlining your (multiple) posts doesn't make their content any more valid than if you just typed, you know, normally. and if anything it only makes you come off as way too hyper and eager to force your opinions on people... noone on here (besides Mikko maybe) is ever going to conquer the world so would it be too much to ask you to - maybe - please just chill ?

you actually make valid points and i personally happen to agree with your basic line of thinking but your attitude really keeps contradicting what you are saying. you are (basically) trying to tackle the highest-rated maps on this website for having too much eye-candy and not being fun enough (a tendency i could see in maps of a certain style), yet if anything, the screenshots you just posted depict nothing but mere eye-candy themselves, so what are you trying to show off exactly ? they really don't showcase anything that looks like fun to me. or am i getting your wrong and maybe you are just trying to showcase that you can build intriguing-looking stuff too (just as much as the next guy) ? if that is the case, are you really that desperate for recognition and dying for a level of yours to get a 99/100 on a website in place of all those other maps you personally can't seem to get close to complete for whatever reason ? and if i am getting you wrong again, then i am asking you - what the hell are you trying to achieve ?

sorry but i am with Forge on that one. if you happen disagree so much with the currently active reviewers in this community, write reviews yourself instead of going on rants about how you aren't down with their personal perception of things. yes, as you pointed out yourself, reviews are a reflection of a personal, individual experience with a level. if you think your outlook is revolutionary for some reason (even though similar fun vs. eye-candy debates have been going on forever in this community and in the gaming world in general i am pretty sure), instead of saying that "you would rate maps on fun alone", then do everyone a favor and actually (at least try to) go for it ? seriously now - if they are going to be that different from everything we've all seen before, then i am genuinely curious as to what your reviews, scores and map rankings would look like.

Also :

"There can be NO sway in the ratings if only done by one person."

this is just plain wrong for many reasons. most of the reviews one gets to read on here or on MSDN nowadays are years old for the most part, albeit having been written by the same few persons (mostly Mikko and Forge), people change with time and someone's opinion on mapping nowadays might (and most likely will) be different from the same person's opinion on mapping six months, one year, five years ago. and noone ever re-adjusts the scores in the older reviews according to their current standards, so you really can't compare two reviews written by the same person on a fair basis if they have been written too far apart in time. also, the person's current personal preference in terms of level theme (and, to a lesser extent, gameplay style) might subtlely influence the way they rate maps despite them essentially being of the same quality, and those preferences can change. now if we were to have to dig even deeper, i am sure you could say to some extent than random events in the reviewer's personal life might influence their mood and the extent to which they are going to enjoy a level, and this will be reflected in the final rating too. basically, the point i am trying to make is that even (especially ?) when stemming from just one person, ratings are always going to be inconsistent as fuck. which is fine because they aren't supposed to set definite rankings in stone. just to convey a subtle idea of what the map is like in order to encourage the players to download it or not depending on their personal tastes. it is all subjective. and once again i think a lot of people look into all this bullshit way too seriously, more seriously than the reviewers themselves which is obviously bound to get on their nerves after a while

Arghantyl

Well here my 2 cents  >:(

The inherent nature of reviewing is to give a note ,trying to be more objective as possible.
Of course you can complain about the inaccuracy of some scores but it's only due to your personal taste and the scale of 100 points.

Being disagree on some reviews is your right.
If you want to give justice on some unbalanced reviews just act,CGS allows any members to submit reviews.

But you know,from my personal experience of life : those who complain about the system,spitting on some individuals without doing anything to change their environment are just loosers.
Another day,another challenge.