[RELEASE] The End of the World pt. 1

Started by ck3D, 09 July 2015, 02:48:19

Previous topic - Next topic

ck3D

Peep screenshots & grab the files here !

Hope you enjoy...

All the best

CGS Download

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

ck3D

thanks for the review !

(just noticed you posted on here after adressing some of your points and asking you a few questions over at duke4... sorry for cross-posting)

Sanek

Quote from: ck3D on  28 July 2015, 10:36:11
thanks for the review !

(just noticed you posted on here after adressing some of your points and asking you a few questions over at duke4... sorry for cross-posting)

I actually surprised that he reviewed it. Usually he skips a lot of releases and then whining about lack of releases in the end of the year.

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

MSandt

Quote from: ck3D on  28 July 2015, 10:36:11

I actually only checked the upper section of the destroyed building, the one where the Battlelord was; I probably passed by the ground level thinking it's off limits because of all the fires.

Found zero secrets and I don't think I came across the NVGs either.

ck3D

that's a bummer, in that you went through the map a way harder way than I expected most players to. obviously not your fault - I guess encouraging & rewarding exploration doesn't work so well after all in maps with large areas that do not necessarily scream to your face to look into all the nooks and crannies.

MetHy didn't find any of the secrets either during the beta-testing phase, they are as follows :

1) press any of the counters in the convenience store to 'unlock' a secret area behind one of the soda machines. 1 freezer to be found ;
2) & 3) main outside area : you can fly above and onto both partly destroyed corners of the building with the convenience store. RPG / dev ammo, pipebombs, portable medkits & other inventory items to be found, with the downside of triggering more respawns out on the streets (which really isn't a downside, the extra monsters are fun to kill after you get stacked on items)
4) subway area, there is a crack over one of the ticket machines just next to the subway system entrance, doesn't provide you with lots though, just health IIRC.

but overall there are a bunch of semi-hidden goodies inside crates / vents or behind objects which really come in handy on the long run. shame a lot of players don't seem to run into them. maybe something to do with a contrast with the generally quick pace of the gameplay in the map ? (tough firefights etc. which doesn't incite you to slow down and look around)

now secret places are one thing, but that you failed to find the NVG's in the first part of the map (in one of the destroyed apartments, also comes with dev ammo IIRC, and there are other instances where you can run into this item later on in the map too) and also the chaingun kind of bugs me, because those weren't in supposedly 'secret' places. I like when things aren't just put right in front of the player's eyes in maps, and they have to look around a little to find their shit, but I always try harder and harder with every map to make their respectivement placement a little more obvious so the gameplay isn't too unfair but I really didn't think anything was going to be that much of a stretch in this level.

MSandt

Quote from: ck3D on  05 August 2015, 10:52:13
that's a bummer, in that you went through the map a way harder way than I expected most players to. obviously not your fault - I guess encouraging & rewarding exploration doesn't work so well after all in maps with large areas that do not necessarily scream to your face to look into all the nooks and crannies.

Yeah I don't really go around pushing walls and looking for secrets but if I see something that's out of place, I check it out. I also tend to try out some obvious secret locations such as pressing counters and some computer panels. (I did find the Freezer by the way, but I still had 0/3 secrets when I finished the map.)

Quotenow secret places are one thing, but that you failed to find the NVG's in the first part of the map (in one of the destroyed apartments, also comes with dev ammo IIRC, and there are other instances where you can run into this item later on in the map too) and also the chaingun kind of bugs me, because those weren't in supposedly 'secret' places.

I probably lost it because of the visibility. I did try to delay playing the level until it was around 8 pm but even then the Sun tends to get in my way.

Duke64Nukem

Quote from: Sanek on  31 July 2015, 21:13:19
I actually surprised that he reviewed it. Usually he skips a lot of releases and then whining about lack of releases in the end of the year.

heheh xD
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter