Re[RELEASE] Monastery of Darkness

Started by mono20, 08 February 2016, 17:40:38

Previous topic - Next topic

mono20

THE MONASTERY OF DARKNESS - 20th anniversary edition

Now it's almost 20 years ago since I bought the full version of Duke Nukem v1.3d. Soon after I thought it would be nice to build something with the editor, say a monastery with church and all... but soon I realized the restrictions of 2.5D and started to concentrate on gameplay. I never actually finished the "Monastery of Darkness" back then. Yet it worked as a complete map and I finally released it as it was in 1999. A few months ago I stumbled over it and checked it with Mapster32. I couldn't get my hands off and ended with a polish that hardly left a single linedef untouched. I tried to preserve the original atmosphere and gameplay though. Now the map has a building history over a span of nearly twenty years. Some people seemed to like the old version so I decided to release this update as well. Hope you have fun with it.

(*) Please read the compatibility notes in the accompanying text file.
(*) The gameplay is non-linear and there is a lot to discover in the map outside of what is necessary to finish it. There are three secrets, all of them are moody places with more aliens and items you won't find anywhere else. The probably most hard to find secret's got a brandnew huge extension which leads to a hidden flying saucer you can enter. There are several hints to where it can be found so watch out for signs and sounds. If you still can't find it check YouTube for a walkthrough filmed with the old version.

Cheers
mono20 aka Schronzki

CGS review/download

Puritan

Wow, that's so cool to see yet a mapper from back in the days.
Welcome aboard.

Your first release has been reviewed and hosted here since 2012.
Now I'll upload your updated version asap.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Really like the new area. Posted a review on MSDN a few days back.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

mono20

Thank you very much, guys! The nice reviews of the old version encouraged me to release the upate.  8)

I'm glad if you like the improvements and additions.

mono20

Quote from: MSandt on  08 February 2016, 17:58:33
Really like the new area. Posted a review on MSDN a few days back.

Thanks for pointing me on it and thanks for the kind words written about the map. I might come up with something new in... ten years or so. ;)

mono20

I never tested the 20th anniversary edition in coop myself but someone posted a utoob vid of it which made me change one or two little things mainly about locked doors. This makes a difference only in multiplayer, single player is the same as before. The update is uploaded to Steam and here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ai1i935q49g8y5f/modark20.rar

Cheers  8)