[RELEASE] DoomBOX

Started by Sanek, 07 March 2016, 16:53:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

Hello everybody!
This is my new map called DoomBOX. It's small, tiny canyon/outdoor map which I hope you will enjoy.  ;)

IMPORTANT: The map is heavily relies on use of jetpack, so watch for the fuel!

Before you play it I want to say that I'm glad that I finally released something. It's not as good and detailed as Bridge Between Two Islands, and it's not very good from a techical standpoint (there are a lot of misaligned textures - I really tried to fix it, but there are still a lot of them), but I have a lot of fun while making it.  Thanks to Merlijn, Sixty Four and Zykov Eddy for beta-testing!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zbzcw5xfodq4d6d/DoomBOX.zip

CGS review / download

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Sanek

Quote from: MSandt on  09 March 2016, 15:02:01
Decent map by lazy in several ways: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotdoombox.php

I thought so.
I agree that the map lacks proper shading (which is hard to do with such a big-scale map) and some areas can be more detailed, but calling the map lazy and annoying, and giving it such a score is just ridiculous. No wonder you such a picky reviewer.

P.S. Also, this map is called "DoomBOX", not "DoomBox". I think it would be not so hard for you to change the tittle.

MSandt

Ooh, someone's got sand stuck in his vagina!

Quote from: Sanek on  09 March 2016, 16:50:45
I agree that the map lacks proper shading (which is hard to do with such a big-scale map) and some areas can be more detailed, but calling the map lazy and annoying, and giving it such a score is just ridiculous.

So what else besides laziness exlains the blatant lack of shading & detailing? It's not like 3d lighting isn't the easiest thing ever to implement.

QuoteNo wonder you such a picky reviewer.

Lol!
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Sanek

Quote from: MSandt on  09 March 2016, 22:09:11
So what else besides laziness exlains the blatant lack of shading & detailing?
It's not laziness. I just think that shading is not the most essential part in a daylight/outdoor maps.The map is detailed enough. If you think that it's not detailed, then you just crazy. If you want the jewelry, go play that Flaming Shipwreck instead.

Look, I'm not trying to create a masterpiece here. I tried to make a good map, which will be big and open, I tried to create the atmosphere of big location and I think I've achieved it. I think it's a good map. I like it myself.  But I constantly get sick while reading your reviews, Mikko. I think I will not read them from now on.

MSandt

Quote from: Sanek on  09 March 2016, 22:46:26
It's not laziness. I just think that shading is not the most essential part in a daylight/outdoor maps.The map is detailed enough. If you think that it's not detailed, then you just crazy. If you want the jewelry, go play that Flaming Shipwreck instead.

Shading definitely is a big deal in a daylight map like this; I cannot think of many things that are more important. In any case, even if there are things that you consider more important, that's no excuse to neglect lighting.
I'm also not asking for the Flaming Shipwreck level of details. Most of the tech rooms in this map are just empty square rooms with a few computer panels, if even that. Even a rudimentary level of trimwork could have made it look a lot more interesting.

Look, I'm not trying to create a masterpiece here. I tried to make a good map, which will be big and open, I tried to create the atmosphere of big location and I think I've achieved it. I think it's a good map. I like it myself.  But I constantly get sick while reading your reviews, Mikko. I think I will not read them from now on.

I really fail to see your problem. The map scored 86 out of 100, and it's in the Hot Maps section. And you're pissed off at that?

Forge

I agree that there were comments in the review that could have been worded differently, elaborated on, or just plain left out.

Haven't played the map, so I can't comment on it, but:

I just think that shading is not the most essential part in a daylight/outdoor maps.
You've always failed at this part of mapping, no matter how many times, and how many people tell you about it.
I wouldn't label it lazy so much as maybe indifferent or neglectful.

Look, I'm not trying to create a masterpiece here. I tried to make a good map
That's what an 86 score is. It's not a masterpiece, it's a good map.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass