Mapping Questions

Started by t1m, 10 September 2017, 06:41:07

Previous topic - Next topic

t1m

Hi

What is the command in mapster to enlarge the map area.

Forge

I don't know if there is a 'command'.

edit the mapster.cfg file

find the line 'editorgridextent ='

change the value from 131072(?) to 524288
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

t1m

Thank you, that worked.

How many sprites can be displayed on the screen at a time? I have a problem where, depending on where I am looking, the sprites flash in and out of view.

Forge

I'm not sure what the cap is.
It is limited though, because too many visible sprites or sectors will cause serious lag issues, if not outright crashes - thus the 'disappearing sectors in the distance', and sprites 'phasing in and out of existence'.

sT1LL_WAnTeD

if sprite flashes in and out then theres too much in one area. .. this an example of trying to push the limit of sprites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3Bjb9x7JE . made a 3 story building. floor, ceiling, furniture on all levels. . just sprites. . that little building over 4,000 sprites. . and i had to stop cuz any more made other sprites disappear. but it takes alot. . thousands of sprites. . if you only have hundreds ina area thats not a problem. some times u would see thru sprite in mapster but once u play in eduke its there and normal. but like i said putting thousand ina area

wall limit is 16k, sprite limit also 16k. . .so for example me making that one building in video that is 4 thousand sprites was ridiculous. . imagine a whole level. . .

Forge

Henri K's Mincer City has the same issue. There's a section with a sprite based sky bridge and a lot of trees. I don't know how many sprites are in that portion of the map, but tree tops and various other sprites will disappear while playing.
It's probably an engine limitation, but I don't think that a specific number has ever been defined as to when the game starts doing it.

sT1LL_WAnTeD

if u ever wonder how much wall or sprites u got into the map it says it on the bottom of mapster. . if want to know how many sprites ina certain area. . hold right shift and drag mouse (2d mode) shows u in bottom

t1m

Hi

Is there a way to raise and lower sectors in large increments in mapster?

Forge

in 2d mode use F7 on a sector and manually enter the elevation of the floor and ceiling that you desire.

t1m

I have this glitch occurring in my map. I have had this problem before, but I usually revert back to an earlier version of my map when it occurs. I was wondering what may cause this problem.

Forge

corrupt sectors, or crossing sector lines.

Puritan

Dunno if this feature works in Mapster though but it's worth a try.

First back up your map.
Then try: ctrl + shift + enter
This is supposed to check all pointers in the map and maybe fix 'em as well.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

also:
2d mode
Alt + [
Alt + ]
scroll through corruptions if you want to try to fix them manually

The corruptcheck now and corruptcheck tryfix [num] console commands can be used in the map editor to attempt to fix map corruptions.