Mapping in 20th edition

Started by JMW, 03 September 2018, 06:23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JMW

Anyone doing this?

I see I can unload eduke into the 20th edition folder in steam and then map and use new textures.
Anyone using those textures just in eduke?

Looking to see how new 20th maps can be played in just eduke...if anyone is doing it.

Puritan

Quote from: JMW on  03 September 2018, 06:23:01
Anyone doing this?

I see I can unload eduke into the 20th edition folder in steam and then map and use new textures.
Anyone using those textures just in eduke?

Looking to see how new 20th maps can be played in just eduke...if anyone is doing it.

Would have been nice to play (and build) with 20'th Edition stuff.
Dunno if it's possible though. Doesn't 20'th Edition use some sort of modified Build engine?
Clearly a matter for the coding people in the community.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

A map named White Noise was made using 20th & eduke32/mapster back in June. (release thread can be found at Duke4)

The issue was brought up about the "legality" of distributing the 20th art files along with the map so that it would be playable with the Atomic grp.
The consensus was that it would be wiser to play it safe than to have gearbox come after him.

The author was allegedly going to make a version that didn't require 20th art, but I haven't seen an update. The map still needs 20th in order to play it, but it also uses def files and custom cons, so it never ended up in the steam workshop.

From what I've read, the only things that aren't compatible with eduke32 are the firefly & the flamethrower (and maybe that sorry excuse for a boss they made to replace the cycloid emperor).
I helped him while beta-testing, and there's a few lines in the 20th cons that need to be commented out or modified to make it work with eduke32/mapster (& atomic grp).
(he didn't have the atomic version of duke3d, so we had to modify his 20th cons)

game.con

// include FLAMETHROWER.CON
// include FIREFLYTROOPER.CON
// include EPISODE5BOSS.CON

then in the user.con you have to redefine All the actor sounds

example:
20th will have:

// Predator Trooper
definesound PRED_ROAM     sound\roam06.ogg          0   0   3  0   0

has to be changed to:

// Predator Trooper
definesound PRED_ROAM     roam06.voc          0   0   3  0   0

either modify them, or extract the cons out of your atomic duke3d.grp and drop them in the top directory of your eduke32/mapster folder that you're using to map.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

The eternal discussion: I wonder if I should mark a map as "Mod" on the search page ?

The map has modified CONs, new ART, sounds, music.
I'm talking about White Noise

Thoughts?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Mark it the same as you would a map that requires DC or Caribbean.
That's basically what it is.

The cons slow down the run-speed a little to keep people from "speed-running the map" - they also comment out the firefly, flamethrower, and wt boss, so they game won't throw errors if it is played with the atomic.grp.
Originally the game came with the two wt art files, but some people threw a fit, so they were removed. That's the only reason the map even requires wt.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass