[RELEASE] Retaliation

Started by Loke, 07 December 2011, 15:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Loke

Don't feel that I want to keep adding any more to this map so I decided to release it as it is. All in all it's a map that was specifically made to try out the TROR feature so the gameplay isn't all that too exciting with no puzzle solving except shooting a few bad guys until you find the nuke sign. It's a very short romp so it shouldn't take too long. Read the readme for more insight.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8FD5M1AE

I haven't posted the map on the usual sites so if anyone has any thoughts such as issues regarding balancing or gamebreaking bugs I'd love to hear them before I upload it.

Puritan

Sounds exciting ;)
Unfortunately, my comp is too laggy to play TROR.

Some betatesting is always an advantage.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I'll give it a look some time today

edit: are you sure this should be played in 8-bit? it's pretty buggy that way & I thought i read @ duke4 that tror works best with polymer.

the beginning street area is a bit too crowded, there's plenty of health, but nothing for ammo except the three weapons themselves and whatever the aliens drop (if any), the last door to the nuke button should be key locked and the key put in the second area leading off from the  water "industrial processing" pool room

nice detailing and architecture, good layout and flow, proper mix of enemies, the few select weapons for the arsenal were properly selected to handle the aliens (see: need more ammo comment)

This map should be expanded  and finished (suggest adding to the area I mentioned putting the key in - something across the trellis/skywalk platform at the dead end door & have it loop around and enter the large pool room at another point), it has alot of potential to be excellent (also research and consider changing rendering for the max tror potential)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

EmericaSkater

Just gave it a playthrough. Really amazing stuff. Seconding Forge's suggestion on expanding it, though if I were you I'd focus more on the area in the beginning of the map. It'd be a serious shame if it was just left at that, because it's easily some of the best urban detailing I've seen in a DN3D map. IMO the sewers are actually kind of where things took a backseat, though not in terms of design. Things just got really confusing at that point as random sound effects played for seemingly no reason, trying to use the sets of ladders was really awkward/ungainly, and switches wouldn't always work despite being within operable range of them.
ANARCHY

Loke

Appreciate the input.

Quote from: Forge on  07 December 2011, 15:59:19
edit: are you sure this should be played in 8-bit? it's pretty buggy that way & I thought i read @ duke4 that tror works best with polymer.

The TROR does indeed look quite awful in 8-bit more specifically in the large watertank room. I tried Polymer a bit and the TROR looks flawless indeed but problem is that the performance takes a real nosedive whenever I play it in this map so that's a reason I didn't bother testing it throughout. Apart from this there's also a lot of issues regarding the sprites that look good in 8-bit but flicker like crazy whenever in Polymer -- I could probably fix this though.

Quote from: EmericaSkater on  08 December 2011, 03:59:17
Things just got really confusing at that point as random sound effects played for seemingly no reason, trying to use the sets of ladders was really awkward/ungainly...

What sound effects are you referring to?
The ladders are indeed awkward and frustrated the hell out of me when I built them; I followed a guide from point to point, rebuilt them numerous times and still they don't behave correctly. I don't why.

I don't have any plans on expanding it, I feel that I've already spent way too much time on this (6 and half months for such a small map, most of that time spent on detailing and long breaks) and I'm worried if I'd go around and expand it my laziness and inspiration will go down the drain and the map will get stuck in limbo for 200 years. Sorry if I'm being an ass but I just want to get this out so I can perhaps work on something else. Another soul can freely build upon this map if they'd so desire, I have no issue there.
However, I'll give some thought about what Forge said though regarding the door leading to the nuke sign and making the journey on the bridge at least have some purpose by placing a key card up there or something.

So on my list -- a few more ammo packs, making Polymer an option to play on and slightly expanding the final area adding a key card to the nuke sign door. I'll be back with the final version fairly soon. Thanks a bunch guys for the value feedback and thoughts. :)

EmericaSkater

Quote from: Loke on  08 December 2011, 14:29:12
What sound effects are you referring to?

It's a string of sounds (mostly Duketalk) that start playing pretty much the instant you drop into the sewers. In hindsight, they weren't necessarily "random", but with the other stuff that starts happening when you get down there, the whole thing feels a bit discordant.
ANARCHY

Loke

That's odd. If you're referring to those sound effects that I'm thinking of ("Duke Nukem must die!" line followed by a string of gun fire, pig cop dying and moaning) they should only play when you activate a switch to a seemingly locked door near the manhole leading up to the start of the map. If they activate whenever you drop down, without actually doing anything, something has gone terribly wrong here. It always seemed to work correctly for me. :/

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I only heard them when I activated the switch

Loke

I've uploaded the final version now adding a few things and some fine-tuning.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZU7EWJ3

Forge

replayed the updated version. a little better on the flow now with the keycard. looks real good in polymer if your comp can handle it

Loke

Thanks. Spent some time repositioning a few sprites as they either flickered due to being in contact with other sprites or went completely invisible in Polymer which looked awful. Otherwise it looks best in this render, shame about the poor performance though.

Forge

My todo list for reviews is getting pretty extensive (have a list to accomplish for the completed database), so no offense intended if I don't get to this in the near future.

edited the Reviews and Submissions thread with a short todo list

http://www.scent-88.com/forum/index.php/topic,44.msg150.html#msg150

(there's alot that isn't listed as it mostly has to do with the "mapper of the month" and that's secret squirrel information)

Gambini

Just gave this a go. I´m not playing Duke honestly since Eduke32 keeps introducing bugs and "features" that make the life of classic players harder everyday, but when I read my name in your txt, i felt touched :o

Despite being too short and too damn cramped (at least teh first part) it´s pure awesomeness. Keep this way and you will become the fucking best mapper ever of all Duke history.

Loke

Quote from: Gambini on  11 December 2011, 03:21:09
but when I read my name in your txt, i felt touched :o

No worries, I just feel that your work is amazing and it's something that I personally tend to strive for. I try to come up with my own ideas as well but inspiration is something huge for me.

QuoteKeep this way and you will become the fucking best mapper ever of all Duke history.

Heh, no pressure or anything. Now coming up with something original, especially in this game, is hard. How about... nah, already been done, dammit.  :(

QuoteI´m not playing Duke honestly since Eduke32 keeps introducing bugs and "features" that make the life of classic players harder everyday

I tend to play in classic mode almost exclusively and all my mapping is done in it so even if we're endangered we are still very much alive. :P
TROR is easy to work with though once you get hang of it; it's just like working with a usual sector except it either being underneath or on top of another sector.