Mapper of the Month

Started by Puritan, 08 December 2011, 01:36:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

How times have changed and history repeats itself.
Apparently, by word from our current m.o.m., thanks to steam, mapping is once more competitive (i'm assuming it's mostly about DM again, but it could be about trying to get stuff popular or keeping things on the first page of the workshop)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

I'm having trouble of figuring out what you're trying to say in your post. I feel like I'm missing some context or background.

Edit: Hmm I semi-get the context actually reading the MOM interview. Yeah I don't think there are any singleplayer maps released on steam that really hold up to those created by pre-steam mappers. Part of that may be the lack of experience, however I believe a bigger part of it is that Megaton players/mappers seem to love the idea of shoving hundreds of enemies into a map and calling it "good" rather than actually having some well-developed and thought-out progression and combat. DM maps are pretty big at the moment since they're relatively quick to pump out.
Wall whore.

Forge

yep. you just described '97 through (roughly)2000

MSandt

Yeah Steam has been a bit of a disappointment with respect to quality.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

Looks like Micky C is finally mapper of the month! I guess they save the best for last ;) :P

Does my best map really have to be Libraryl though? Something like Parkade or the DNF 2013 DLC would be more suitable. I understand that those are collaborative works to an extent but people might click on the 'best map' thinking it's the pinacle of my work which is clearly not the case. Could it please be changed to Parkade since that's vanilla? I'm sure Paul B wouldn't mind, and it's not like the guy carried me with the high rating.

Btw some of the paragraphs in the middle start off with An attached to the first word like "Anthat" and "AnSomething". Considering those weren't in the original text I submitted, a quick fix would be appreciated :)

Otherwise thanks for putting it up.
Wall whore.

Duke64Nukem

Quote from: MSandt on  01 October 2014, 17:01:06
Yeah Steam has been a bit of a disappointment with respect to quality.
Some might disrespect the quality factor of maps on the steam workshop, and well some are just new guys starting out and learning. Of course some seem to think there king of the hill god mode mappers right off the bat due to new generations. But by all means I try my best to push quality and I think it shows. Steam users aren't as dumb as some people think they know what there playing they can see it!
Quote from: Forge on  01 October 2014, 06:26:03
but it could be about trying to get stuff popular or keeping things on the first page of the workshop)
Yes once your map is on on top it seems most of the mappers will hate your guts even ignoring you for a month or two possibly remove you as friend and down rating your map to try and get it away from the top I have had even non mappers do this to me simply because the attention. Hell some will even tell there friends to down rate as well going the distance to get your map hidden. But the amount of posters has really slimmed down now.
Quote from: Micky C on  01 December 2014, 00:14:43
Looks like Micky C is finally mapper of the month! I guess they save the best for last ;) :P
Congrats Micky on Mapper of month :)
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Forge

why the sour grapes about Steam?
If it takes all that attention and effort to sabotage workshop items, then you must be doing something right.

@Mickyif: you don't like the map that represents you on the m.o.m. page, then release something for once instead of posting all those interesting screenshots @ Duke4

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  10 December 2014, 01:39:41
@Mickyif: you don't like the map that represents you on the m.o.m. page, then release something for once instead of posting all those interesting screenshots @ Duke4

All those interesting shots are from my AMC TC Episode 2 maps, which means they still won't be seen as my "best map".

Btw is the best map a code-based automatic thing? I.e will it update if I do release a brand new vanilla map that scores higher?
It's a damn shame my DNF DLC map is bundled in with Davox. My map is relatively fun and well made, if it had been released as a separate vanilla map (which minus the bike I could easily have done), then it would have been very well received. As it stands it's in the shadow of Davox's orgasmic awesomeness.
Wall whore.

Puritan

It's automatic fetched from database.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Does that really prevent you from making manual changes to individual files?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  10 December 2014, 13:32:44
All those interesting shots are from my AMC TC Episode 2 maps
and the serious sam shots, and the other random stand-alone shots (like that room with a skylight and a heart-shaped hottub(?), etc, etc....

too much dabbling, not enough production

Micky C

A while ago I decided to withdraw from WGR2. Most of the content I made for it wasn't that good, and it was during a period where my skills were improving rapidly (we all know you shouldn't keep working on the same stuff during that period). Not that those maps would count as individual stuff either since they'd be released with Norvak's stuff.
Plus DT's ability to work on the TC is unreliable at best in his current (semi?) retired state. I may yet port over some of the more complete/salvageable bits to the AMC TC episode 3 where I can hopefully do more with them.

That room you mentioned was just something I was fooling around with very briefly and was never intended to be a playable map.
Not enough production? I've been working my ass off for the AMC TC Episode 2.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Is Mike von Skellington in the running for mapper of the month? His two maps hosted here that I checked out didn't look super flash, but some of his unreleased stuff, such as "city crackdown fragments" easily makes him some kind of mapping god.

I think I adapted one of the more classic-styled maps of the pack to vanilla Duke, added gameplay and polymer lights a while ago. Maybe I'll try to dig it up and it can get reviewed.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Finally got hold of an author that has been a candidate since 2014.
Arturo Martinez suddenly sent me a mail with his answers.

Check it out yourself: http://www.scent-88.com/mom/2014jun.php
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise