Mapper of the Month

Started by Puritan, 08 December 2011, 01:36:45

Previous topic - Next topic

High Treason

Congrats Eddy, and for that matter, any mappers of the month I missed. I still haven't gotten around to finishing Slender's Woods, so I'll likely get back to that shortly.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

zykoveddy

From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Puritan

Yeah guys, I know.
I run this site....
But sooner or later it would have been my turn to stand in the limelight  :P
As this site is having some kind of anniversary these days ....
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

That's what you get for letting me pick  :)

let that be a lesson to you, sir.

congrats! One year anniversary of the site so you should be honored for both accomplishments.

You made some real nice space and urban maps with great atmospheres. Some of the puzzles and hidden areas in your earlier works that were required to find/solve in order to progress posed some frustration, but your later works are well thought out and very fluid. All had good, solid ambiance.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

Lucky you that your interview is actually a cuestionary, or you´d have a hard time making an interview to yourself  :P

Congrats for the recognition and for having a fawning moderator!  ;D

Micky C

This just in: Puritan is going to be mapper of the month every month from now on what?  :P

Well done on the selection, your maps have always had a certain quality about them which makes them special and unique  :)
Wall whore.

High Treason

[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  01 December 2012, 01:40:05
Congrats for the recognition and for having a fawning moderator!  ;D

I want to have his baby!  :o   ;D

Puritan

Thanks guys  :)

Yeah, I had a hard time interviewing myself  :P
But I want to have all the questions as they are and asked to all participants.
In that way it's easier to "compare" mappers.

PS: Since I'm the M.o.M. it would be proper with a release....
I only have five more days at work before I'm off for a holiday.
When having 9 days to spend with the polishing stage, it will surprise me if my map isn't released by new years eve  ;)
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Micky C

Damn, it takes me 20 days to come up with a good line for Puritan's mapper of the month:

"So, they finally ran out of good mappers to put on this thing eh?  ;)"

:(
Wall whore.

Forge

lol!

you'll know when the bottom of the barrel has been scraped through and the muck underneath is being sifted when he tries to force me in as a selection

Forge

too bad you couldn't get ahold of Robert Carter. I think his interview answers would have been interesting

Gambini

Who´s that guy? I think the MoM thing has been losing focus lately ;) oh well not really  ;D but there are many mappers that deserve to be honored first, mappers like Willy Gee, Maarten and Spiker. Just thinking out loud.

Micky C

Yeah, apparently his best map scored an 82, which isn't all that fantastic given all the other great mappers that have already been selected. Gambini has some good suggestions.

Or you could choose somebody who has revolutionized TROR mapping and polymer lights. But who could that be... hmm  :P
Damn that probably set me back a few months  :P

Why of course I was referring to DanM, he's done some truly amazing stuff.
Wall whore.

Forge

If you don't agree with Robert Carter as a choice, just wait till the end of 2014 when the pickings start getting really slim. MoM is a neat little idea, but how long do you think it can last before names start getting drawn out of a hat at random?

edit:

There's top tier mappers (consistently produced high quality projects or made contributions/ground breaking ideas):

William G, Maarten O., James S., Lezing, Micky C, Billy Boy, Bob Masters, C3PO, Paul B., Devastator, Enric Alvarez, Undertaker, quakis, Geoffrey D., Henri K, Supertanker, Taivo M., KaiseR, Kevin Cools

Then the second tier (lack of releases or lack of highly rated projects on a consistent basis - sorry if i offend anyone -just my opinion):

Mia Max, Ben Roffelsen, Mike Norvak, Mister Sinister, Hangnail, Carthief, Sang, Numan, Cedric Lutes, High Treason, Daniel Aashage, David B, EmericaSkater, Eye del Cul, Fernito, Robert Travis, Ryan Lennox, Sanek, Iggy, Forge, James Duncan, Law, Spiker, Papamonos, Turpuli, Steambull

this isn't a complete list, i'm sure i missed several people, but I need to amend my comments (i didn't add names that already made MoM). there should be enough names to last for about four years.

So the question is, does it really matter what order people are elected to MoM? I don't think it would be a good idea to instill any specific method because now you're trying to rate who's the better mapper, or who contributed more to the community. With that mentality then it doesn't matter who gets picked; people would always argue that someone else is a better choice due to their personal preference or relationship with certain people. It'd be like asking me to pick between James Stanfield or Mike Norvak. I wouldn't do that.