News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

Mapper of the Month

Started by Puritan, 08 December 2011, 01:36:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

april fools right?

i'd like to thank the two people who played my maps and made this possible....
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Quote from: Forge on  01 April 2013, 02:41:21
i'd like to thank the two people who played my maps and made this possible....

Yourself and your imaginary friend?  ;D

Seriously though, congrats.

Micky C

Ah yeah I almost believed it but I'm sure it's april fools. That's not fair, it's april the 2nd in australia  >:(
Wall whore.

Forge

well it stuck. like an old gym sock to the bottom of a locker

guess i'm april's fool

Gambini

Nah, you have it well deserved. You developed an unique style and have made a bunch of HQ maps in a quite short timespan. Not to end in comparisions, but many mappers failed at those tests.

Micky C

I didn't know ol' Willy G played Starcraft 2. Maybe I'll have to play him some time...

Also, I remember him saying once that when DNF comes out, he'll start mapping for it. But he hasn't even played DNF, not that he's missing much.

Definitely an interesting interview though.

IMO Drek's probably going to be the WG 2.0  :P
So far he seems to be developing an open outdoor style with terrain. It's a little bit rough since he's inexperienced compared to veterans, but I think people will agree with me when they play his part of the CBP.(Sorry for off-topic)
Wall whore.

MSandt

Funny how everyone interviewed is mostly against Polymer and the HRP.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

As someone who started out prefering and mapping for the HRP, one of the main reasons I tried out classic mapping was because the HRP tiles in the tile selector screen just took so damn long to load that it was noticeably slowing me down.
It was only later that I discovered that the classic tile set was a lot more flexible than the HRP due to its ambiguity.

Still, if you wanted to, you could make some very nice looking maps with the HRP. Take DanM, Mia Max, and David B for example. There's probably a higher proportion of players who like the HRP compared to mappers.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Yeah all those are post-HRP mappers whileas the people who've been interviewed belong to the old guard. So, new blood is needed to produce maps for Polymer & the HRP.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

Interesting interview, seems WG won't be coming back then.  :(
It's cool that he mentioned me and Maarten, those were indeed good times (OGBB was so much fun to build).

QuoteFunny how everyone interviewed is mostly against Polymer and the HRP.

Can't speak for the entire "old guard", but I remember initially being pissed off because all of the texture/pallete combo's I created in classic mode suddenly looked like shit with the hi-res textures. That wasn't a good start. However, things improved over time. Also, Imperium initially was constructed with the HRP in mind, and we tried to make sure it looks good both ways.

I don't play a lot of games nowadays, so I have no interest in buying a computer strong enough to handle polymer.  :P

MSandt

Quote from: Merlijn on  04 June 2013, 22:24:01
I don't play a lot of games nowadays, so I have no interest in buying a computer strong enough to handle polymer.  :P

Yeah well it's not as simple as buying good enough a computer either. I play new games all the time so I keep upgrading my computer but it still runs Polymer like shit (even worse than my old computer in fact).

Supertanker

Quote from: MSandt on  02 June 2013, 12:40:48
Funny how everyone interviewed is mostly against Polymer and the HRP.

I feel old. I dislike the HRP and Polymer as well. :P

Polymer is slooow on my machine though.

Edit: Is there a place to view the interviews without Flash? I refuse to install it on my Linux system. (And like Polymer it tends to run slowly, anyway.)

Puritan

Quote from: Supertanker on  06 June 2013, 07:27:02
Edit: Is there a place to view the interviews without Flash? I refuse to install it on my Linux system. (And like Polymer it tends to run slowly, anyway.)

No.
Flash works smooth as guacamole on my 10 year old rig with 128 MB GPU and 1 MB RAM.
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

William gee

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the interview!
One thing I forgot was Imperium, so its 3 episodes not 2.

QuoteI didn't know ol' Willy G played Starcraft 2. Maybe I'll have to play him some time...
Yup, I only really play SC2 Heart of the Swarm. Not that much these days cause I'm buissy but I do, add me my email address is geewillywizz@gmail.com and my user name is WilliamGee I only play on US server so find me there.

QuoteAlso, I remember him saying once that when DNF comes out, he'll start mapping for it. But he hasn't even played DNF, not that he's missing much.
Is it even possible to map for DNF?

QuoteYeah well it's not as simple as buying good enough a computer either. I play new games all the time so I keep upgrading my computer but it still runs Polymer like shit (even worse than my old computer in fact).

Yes. Polymer is too problematic to map for, I did attempt it a number of times but it was never worth it.

Forge

Holy crap! who let you off your chain?

well congrats. consensus was you should have been picked sooner, but someone wanted to wait to see if they could get an interview