Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Deep Sea Rising
Thedutchjelle
20 September 2016

An underwater EDF base.

It's large facility with crews quarters, storage rooms, laboratories, min-sub and diving platforms, reactor rooms, control rooms, and a lot of corridors. It's all dark and gloomy, strongly shaded, well detailed, full of ambient sounds, and full of aliens. It's put together pretty solid, with only a few cramped corridors, doorways, and lifts that impede the player's movement.
The objective is to get from one part of the station, through an underwater section, to a more run down and abandoned part of the station. Apparently that's where the aliens are sneaking into the facility from. The goal is to collect three key cards which will open the submerged blast door and allow access to the other end of the station. The layout is several interconnected series of corridors, rooms, and ventilation shafts that reconnect back into the main passage several times over. Rooms and areas are pretty distinct, so it's not a matter of getting lost, it's a matter of making sure all the sections are explored thoroughly in order to find the keys. It's pretty easy to miss a few rooms and emerge into an earlier portion of the level empty-handed. More fun than card tricks.

Overall I'd give it an 89
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Great review and a fun map to play  :)
Thanks for taking your time to write your opinion and submit it to CGS.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

please update DukeExpress
http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/D/dukeex/dukeex.php

from the 1.91 version to the 1.93 version
https://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d/addons/duke-express

Thank You.

I think I'm done writing opinions for awhile, I feel uncomfortable having no direct control to edit something I wrote or a file I submitted.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

^Done

Thank you very much for your contributions and submissions.
Take care and enjoy the upcoming Christmas  :)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Played Gallery by Alexander Leitloff (Desperado) today.
A very well done city styled map fram way back in 1996.
The level is quite dark so be sure to play in a dark environment if you'd like to give it a try.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Aleks

Played these 2 new maps by Michael Hunt: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/11620-michael-hunt-in-progress-map-series/

They're definitely worth checking out, sporting a super classic design (with maybe some locations being a bit too literal recreations of original game levels). The enemy/supplies balance in BankJob is a little on the scarce side for the most part of the map, Penthouse is a lot better in this aspect as well as in design, surprising me even with some Roch inspired large scale city scapes. Strong, dramatic shading is very pronounced in both maps (although some areas seem a bit too dark).

Puritan

I was taken by surprise by Ivan Petrosevic today.
Found "HappyLand Water Park" in my mail box.
It's been 23 years since he released a Duke map  :o

A fast paced action styled map you shouldn't miss!

HappyLand Water Park
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

Quote from: Puritan on  17 June 2021, 21:07:30
I was taken by surprise by Ivan Petrosevic today.
Found "HappyLand Water Park" in my mail box.
It's been 23 years since he released a Duke map  :o

A fast paced action styled map you shouldn't miss!

HappyLand Water Park

Man, thank you, this is great news! I was stoked to realize we're talking the author of Crash TV, I was just thinking about that map the other day, it's a classic. If he has been out of the loop Duke-wise for all these years, he must have been tripping balls realizing that his old map was still out there online (and people were still actively reviewing it; Forge's review on here isn't that old, from 2014). Screenshots look super cool!

Puritan

A little surprise for you avid Dukers today.
I've uploaded a map from the first year of user made maps, 1996, that is one of the better ones.
The Meltdown Cafe is top notch for it's time with tons of fun.
The author, Michael J. Romanowski, wasn't very well known in the mapping community but he deserves to be mentioned among the best ones from that year.

The Meltdown Cafe

Check it out yourself  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Yet a little forgotten gem for you guys today:
This map is action from start to finish.
The design and layout are from the top shelves considering it's from 1999.
Take a gander!

L.A. Storm
Oh when I'm old and wise

Aleks

Just played L.A. Storm and it's indeed really good, I especially liked the design of that red truck. The map mostly redesigns/reinterprets the areas from the original game, but the gameplay works really well here - indeed as you've written, it's very action packed, but there's more than enough supplies. Thanks for digging up this one from the abyss! 8)

Puritan

There's a new mapper in town.
Tiago Bock from Brazil have submitted a user map to CGS.
It's a huge city level brimmed with action from start to finish.
Design is up and down but don't worry; you'll never find the time to walk around looking at stuff  ;D

Hard City
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Holy smoke, what a map!
Stumbled across Rosario 1 by elandy today.
I suspect the author has had ck3D and Merlijn as inspiration when building this city styled map.
A map worthy a score up in the 90's

Rosario 1
Oh when I'm old and wise