Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: methy on  11 March 2012, 19:53:09
Back Alley http://msdn.duke4.net/hotballey.php was never put on DN-R no matter how many times I asked

I might do a review of it if you're okay with that

If you don't I can do it after I'm done with BNW. I do take requests.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

Sure go ahead, I already know my opinion on this map so I'd like to see someone else's

plus I have this short simple map in such high regard i might overrate it with your site's standards
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Micky C

Would you be willing to review my second map Libraryl?  ???
It's not a polymer map even though it has polymer lights, but it is designed for the HRP.
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: methy on  11 March 2012, 23:14:27
Sure go ahead, I already know my opinion on this map so I'd like to see someone else's

plus I have this short simple map in such high regard i might overrate it with your site's standards

I've played it enough times I can score it now

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 10/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 10/10
Ambiance: 10/10
Architecture: 19/20
Layout: 20/20
Gameplay/Design: 28/30
Overall: 97/100

But I'd like to play it again to get a better write-up and verify my initial rating

edit:done

Quote from: Micky C on  12 March 2012, 01:14:05
Would you be willing to review my second map Libraryl?  ???
It's not a polymer map even though it has polymer lights, but it is designed for the HRP.

I can do this one as well.

edit: done, though exactly the most glamorous of reviews  :P

methy

97 holy shit! Glad to see I'm finally not the only one to like this map so much, I was starting to feel weird
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Trooper Dan

Quote from: methy on  12 March 2012, 20:16:10
97 holy shit! Glad to see I'm finally not the only one to like this map so much, I was starting to feel weird

I like the map too, but 97 seems high for a map that short.  I mean what if someone makes a map with rooms of the same quality but it is twice as big?  Do you give it the same score?  Seems to me that length should count for something.  Having said that, yes it is a good map and I actually don't know what score I would give it.

Forge

As far as the quality is concerned, it's just slightly better than E1L1. Where balley picks up it's points compared to the original is that the game play is significantly more balanced as far as the weapons/supplies to enemy ratio.

Length to me wasn't that big of a concern. It's not that much shorter than E1L1 and it's a fully playable level.

I'm open minded and if you can provide a persuasive reason why I should change the score, I will.

Trooper Dan

Quote from: Forge on  13 March 2012, 03:04:26
I'm open minded and if you can provide a persuasive reason why I should change the score, I will.

I'm not really trying to get you to change your score, I'm just thinking philosophically about the implications of giving a score that high to a map that small.  Consider the following thought experiment.  Imagine that the map author comes forward with a longer version of the same map.  It starts the same way but when it gets to the current ending, it keeps going, and the new version is 3 times as long, with the same quality throughout.  And he says that the release of the earlier version was a mistake -- he intended to release the longer version all along and it has been sitting on his hard drive for years.  What score does the long version deserve?  Since you gave a 97 to the short version, you can give the longer version --which has same quality of design and 3 times the gameplay-- at most 3 points more.

Forge

That significant of a change in design and amount of game play would increase the gameplay/design score. The map would receive a 98 or 99, as long as the game play balance remained consistent.

If the map is longer and the quality of all things are equal, but the balance gets skewed, then the score wouldn't change or it might even go down, depending on how bad it gets.

methy

I remember Mikko also complaining about the length of the map. To me it's not a problem, I think the map is perfect as it is. There is no big ending or big boss at the end, but that's the point; this map was made as if it was E1L1 or E1L2. It would fit perfectly at the start of Metropolitan Mayhem for example. That is my point.

Mister Sinister

Hey, Forge, could you please review my old episode, Bad Weekend?
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotbadweekend.php
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

MSandt

Quote from: methy on  13 March 2012, 05:00:51
I remember Mikko also complaining about the length of the map. To me it's not a problem, I think the map is perfect as it is. There is no big ending or big boss at the end, but that's the point; this map was made as if it was E1L1 or E1L2. It would fit perfectly at the start of Metropolitan Mayhem for example. That is my point.

It's a perfect map for what it is, an archetype of a good map, but it's not a great map. There's no way this map belongs in the 95th-98th percentile of Hot Maps as a rating of 97 would suggest. That'd be ludicrous.

Also, compared to E1L1, the map is just too generic and narrow to be a memorable experience like E1L1.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: Mister Sinister on  13 March 2012, 08:28:32

I'll have to discuss this with my boss. He gave me a file size cap and your project (at 32Mb) is over it.

Quote from: MSandt on  13 March 2012, 11:31:36
Quote from: methy on  13 March 2012, 05:00:51

It's a perfect map for what it is, an archetype of a good map, but it's not a great map. There's no way this map belongs in the 95th-98th percentile of Hot Maps as a rating of 97 would suggest. That'd be ludicrous.

Also, compared to E1L1, the map is just too generic and narrow to be a memorable experience like E1L1.

I can concede that I over rated the map, but I feel you under rated it at 86

After further consideration and the proper amount of sleep, I'm changing the score to 93

Forge

Quote from: Forge on  13 March 2012, 14:53:04
Quote from: Mister Sinister on  13 March 2012, 08:28:32

I'll have to discuss this with my boss. He gave me a file size cap and your project (at 32Mb) is over it.

Request approved. I may not get to it immediately, but I will as my schedule and health allow.  (medical appointments and participation in a cbp are already planned)