Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Tgreyhair

I might post a couple more reviews, Here's one of them for the Scrapper.

(Scrapper)

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/scraper/scraper.php

Deathmatch only

This is one of the old 90s maps that sort of has that shrapnel city edge to it. There is plenty of places to hide including one that is opposite the duke (lunar apocalypse sign or poster) you can walk through one wall and trick your friends by shooting them when they walk by.  The level itself has a lot of steps and a lift so you can plan what tactics you want to do such as pipe bombing the lift (etc). One area in this map contains an area where you can heat up food, somewhat like the (Raw Meat) level from shrapnel city. Don't forget to pick up the yellow freezer gun.   

Many different areas to explore thinking from the perspective that it is only a deathmatch, I can see this might actually be not a bad level for a quick fight with the computer bots or friends. 

Score 68

Tgreyhair

Here's another quick one.

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/G/gbar/gbar.php

(Gbar Map)

If you want to see what life is like for the spiders and flies, check this map out. Everything in this map is big but beware not to get lost inside the pool table. A unique deathmatch with guns and goodies everywhere, you will not know which way to turn. A lot of the action does usually take place on the pool table as I was battling it out with the bots. (Be careful not to get stuck behind the bar)

Make sure to get the jetpack as this will allow you to explore the vents up near the ceiling, you will notice RPGs and many other little things, health packs if I remember correctly.

If you love your dukematch give this map a try. Another thing I would like to say about this map is you do not get to see this level design technique getting used much in maps  where duke is in an oversized room. It might inspire a few of us to do the same thing in the future. 

I now know what it feels like to be a pool ball. 

Score 92

Puritan

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Tgreyhair

Thanks for uploading Puritan.

Here's another review for the paintball level, an old map I think

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/P/paint/paint.php

Paintball

A very old map from 1996 or 1997 but nevertheless an interesting one I have to say. Deathmatch is what this map is meant for but maybe this map is meant for another type of game mode, something such as capture the flag. The map has a few secret hiding places to explore including one place where you would be better off if you never visited it. The place is called (The Bank of Hell) as this place is like a deathtrap.

It has a few underwater places as well to explore, always good for finding weapons. Just as the map says it's very much like a paintball arena which would probably work well as a deathmatch where if you get killed that is you eliminated from the game. The two bases are Blue and Red with its own wall architecture.

A good map for duking it out.

73 Score

Tgreyhair

Here's another one again.  :)

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/stadion/stadion.php

Stadion

A deathmatch level with a Olympic twist. This level has a few hiding places but make sure you get yourself out on the Olympic field as that is where the action takes place. When you stand on the podiums where they hand out the medals a few goodies appear in front of you including an atomic health. IT looks like a lot of work has went into making this map as the Olympic track looks neat also the other Olympic areas such as the long jump area looks not bad, I think Duke would beat any Olympic long jump record. There is an outside area which includes a lot of weapons and such like but it mostly leads back to the Olympic stadium where most of the fighting tends to take place. 

The reason I am giving this a high score is I think that this level could inspire many others who might want to take it a step further. An interesting deathmatch level and again another one that is unique in ways.

Score 81 

Puritan

Both uploaded.
Thank you for contributing  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

anvil

Mega Plaza Shopping Center by Andras Piroska and Mallrats by Andrew Horne, both reviewed here, are basically the same map.

Puritan

Quote from: anvil on  25 February 2015, 03:00:36
Mega Plaza Shopping Center by Andras Piroska and Mallrats by Andrew Horne, both reviewed here, are basically the same map.

You're right.
I'll guess that the one by Andrew Horne is false.
The templates are quite similar.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Tgreyhair

Here's the Astral map review, many thanks for uploading.

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/A/astral/astral.php

Astral

Astral is a deathmatch level with plenty of places to hide and also plenty of weapons, health pickups including the devastator weapon which is guarded by some trip bombs. Certain areas in this map can be destroyed such as the outside area with the satellite making a small hiding place where once you destroy the ground the satellite is standing on you can get the jetpack from the place below. The bridge above the green sewer water can get destroyed as well making whoever is standing there fall into the slime. The map has an underwater area to explore probably nothing special in terms of powerups (etc) but there are a few sharks waiting for duke as the sharks are very hungry. One area to fool your friend is the rotating cogs as you can fall to your death if you are not careful.

Puritan

I've fucked it up....
In the process of polishing stuff around here I accidentally deleted some information that I can't recover.
The author of the review for:

Xtermination is lost.

I sincerely hope you'll step forward and kick me in the nut sack.... :D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Pretty sure that's EmericaSkater since it uses the same review template for Retaliation.

Puritan

You're right, thank you very much  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Tgreyhair

Hi guys

That's me reviewed another map.

The map is called (Seven)

http://dukerepository.com/maps/Seven

A very atmospheric map with it having a yellow scenery attached to it. You can play the single player as the single player has a few enemies and if you can find the Protector Drone that can be your mission for the single player but this map is meant big time for dukematch. 

A few of the areas in the map is your pistons where duke gets crushed if he goes under also there is a conveyor belt with a few burgers on it. Sounds very delicious but there is one thing I forgot to tell you which are the burgers are made from dog meat. You will be eating doggie burgers. Hope I have not put you off your dinner.  There's a hidden bathroom area as well because you have to blow up a wall to get to the bathroom. The other bathroom in the map is very easy to get to. 

As far as the deathmatch goes I think two to four players is idea. Not too sure if it would work with more as it would get too frantic, if that's the right word to use.

Score 73