Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeNorvak

I think Gambini should review Crimson Moon, since he didn't take part of the project and his reviews are pleasing to read...

Merlijn

Yeah, I played with the thought to write a review for Crimson moon, but I also contributed to that map, so it wouldn't be very objective.. Gambini would be perfect.

Gambini

I´m glad you liked those reviews guys. But I´m not really interested on writting so many of them. Also (and hoping to not disappoint you) I didn´t like too much Crimson Moon nor Suburban hive, so fixing my rating for another site would be awkward.

BTW Forge: Wasnt you who reviewed Blown Fuses and Project Zero at DNR? what stops you from copy/pasting them here?

Forge

I reviewed all those maps on my todo list at DN-R. Nothing stops me from copying them to here, but I still have to play them for the screen shots. (and I'd like to verify the score I gave them)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Project:                                                                         Status:                                             Required
    spaceship to fix (DM)                                                        hosted                                           write-up & score   
    Doomed duel(DM)                                                             hosted                                           write-up & score
    Suburban Hive (cbp)                                                         hosted                                           write-up & score
    Surburban Hive II : Crimson Moon (cbp)                                hosted                                           write-up & score

i don't play DM, I don't review cbp maps I've participated in. if you have the bug, feel free to submit a review for these hosted projects

todo:

Project:                                                                         Status:                                             Required
    Random Map Selection                                                      in que                                          complete review 

Gambini

heh Mortum got one of the lowest ratings of this site. I know it isn´t very good but c´mon!  ;D

My surprise comes mostly by the reasons of that rating. Shading 6/10? Spritework/detailing 6/10? There are some design aberrations that got a couple of points above in those departments.

Well, is not like I´m asking for a revision but just found that rather... interesting.

Trooper Dan

I remember playing that a few years ago.  I haven't played it since, so my memory might be failing me, but I remember it looking pretty good.  The gameplay was average and it was short, but I would give it at least an 85.  Maybe I'll play it again to check.

Trooper Dan

I tried playing it.  It's a good looking map for the most part, but the gameplay is worse than I remember and it is very very cramped.  Also a funny thing happened.  I saved the game after getting the red keycard right before a big explosion that kills me.  When I load the game I can see a view screen that says "Just Run!" for about .01 second, then I die.

Expect double posting on this site until more edit time is allowed.

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  21 March 2012, 00:40:54
heh Mortum got one of the lowest ratings of this site. I know it isn´t very good but c´mon!  ;D

i replayed it to see what the disconnect is all about (Puritan played it to get the screen shots and used the old write up I gave him to get it hosted)

the lack of trimwork in the corners and/or the lack of shading (every wall had the same shade value) really hurt the depth perception. the only serious shading came from the few objects outside that threw shadows or where the lighting effects where used. But saying that, there's more lighting/shading effects, than I gave credit for the first time.

the detailing was better than i gave credit for

the map is alot more cramped than i remember

the constant behind the back spawns where more annoying than i remember

the layout is a little better than i originally credited

architecture is just a bit better than i gave credit for

original:

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 6/10
Sprite Work/Detailing:6/10
Ambiance: 6/10
Architecture/Design: 16/20
Layout: 16/20
Gameplay/Difficulty: 26/30
Overall: 76/100.

new:

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 7/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 8/10
Ambiance: 7/10
Architecture: 17/20
Layout: 17/20
Gameplay/Design: 23/30
Overall: 79/100

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  21 March 2012, 15:04:02

the map is alot more cramped than i remember

the constant behind the back spawns where more annoying than i remember

That was exactly my thoughts too when I played it last night.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

New score added for Duke Nukem ex mortum  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Being the Duke current situation as it is, Forge: I dare to say you played the map using polymost with a wrong shadescale. I don´t really want to push you to change the review but there´s actually a lot of lighting implemetation on this map, that´s the main factor of why it is so short. That I used a lot of sector shading and therefore ran out of resources quickly. I would accept it got a low rating because the crampdnes but the triming and detailing? Just to be sure, would you give a quick look to it in software mode to see if you still think that of the map?

Also, not sure what version are you playing but I revised the map about a year ago, including polymerlights dukeplus and hrp support and at the same time fixed a few minor visual glitched in software.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  22 March 2012, 00:45:53
Being the Duke current situation as it is, Forge: I dare to say you played the map using polymost with a wrong shadescale. I don´t really want to push you to change the review but there´s actually a lot of lighting implemetation on this map, that´s the main factor of why it is so short. That I used a lot of sector shading and therefore ran out of resources quickly. I would accept it got a low rating because the crampdnes but the triming and detailing? Just to be sure, would you give a quick look to it in software mode to see if you still think that of the map?

I'm curious as to how you know what mode I played the map in. I assure you that I play as many maps as I can in classic unless it's either specified in the text, or the map is too damn dark to see. (This map was not too dark). If you're going to point at the screenshots hosted on this site, I will repeat that Puritan took those, not I.

I did increase the score for shading, but as already stated, there was little to no difference in the shade values from one wall to the next (at corners & mostly the indoor areas).

I mentioned putting trimming in the corners to give the map depth since you chose to use minimal wall shading

I increased the sprite work/detailing score by 2. this map does not score higher than 8 in that department

I never said the map was too short

Gambini

QuoteI'm curious as to how you know what mode I played the map in.

Because you say shading is too sparse and that´s completely wrong. Shading is plentiful and quite strong.

Look at these screenshots:

Sigh! Even that little lighthouse casts moving shadows in the back gallery of the "castle"

And what do you mean btw with more trimming? The level of detail is pretty much the same than in Rush2k and that one was praised mostly by its level of detail. You´d have a hard time trying to show me a bare corner.

Forge

fine. screen shots aren't good enough so I busted open mapster so there would be no doubt.

Note the cursers. Note how they are pointing at two adjoining walls at 90 degrees from each other. Note they those walls have the exact same shade value. Note that even the ceiling and the floor in that hallway have the exact same shade value as all the walls. Note the empty and unadorned hallway. Note that the map is full of what I'm talking about and I can post up many, many, many more screen shots, but this is sufficient and now I'm done with this. Note that now you've loaded your post with the screen shots to prove your point and made me retaliate in kind, I'm still not likely to change my opinion.