Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Ah, I see the infamous supa-series has made its way to sent-88. :D Don't forget Supa3 though, that map was actually pretty good. ;)

Forge

I have about three hundred maps in a que folder and use a random generator to select the ones I play for review. Supa3 will get picked eventually.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

zykoveddy

Did Hasit just got 76? Oh come on, it's a cool map, especially for it's time. It's full of great ideas

In the other hand, Alien X by William Gee is a bit overrated, IMO.
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Forge

appreciate the opinion.

maybe it'll stir interest in others to see for themselves why our views differ on some projects

zykoveddy

I'm really sorry, but I don't think it's only the matter of an opinion.

Alien X is a decent map, but it doesn't have anything new in it. It recycles a basic ideas of standart alien maps and also has a lot of design and gameplay issues. Hasit, in the other hand, has an unique design and a lot of great ideas. The gameplay is great too. Alien X is obviously not much better than Hasit if you look at it. I would understand if the Hasit had at least 90, but 76? I don't understand your criteria. New ideas and unique design mean nothing to you? I'm not trying to say that Alien X deserves a bad rating like 76, but I just ask you to compare Hasit to Alien X.

Again, the new map called Desert complex came out, and you rated it 97. I played this map and it's decent. But rate 97 and higher belongs to milestones like Blackend, not to a decent maps like this.

Okay, maybe I'm going way too deeply into it. I respect your work and I know you're a good mapper. But please, can you be a bit more objective in your reviews? Maybe, paying more attention to new ideas that the map has? A lot of players like Hasit, and it's obviously a good, memorable map. It's better than 76. That's all I can say.

Forge

Nothing stopping you from writing your own review, submitting it Puritan, and letting him decide. Won't hurt my feelings any if he changes them.

zykoveddy

What do you mean by this? I was just confused by your criteria, that's all.

Forge

I mean that I don't agree with your point of view on certain things you've mentioned. I have no intentions of trying to explain or justify why I scored anything the way I did. It would just be a repeat of the review and the score breakdown anyway. I also have no intentions of arguing with you over the matter. I've been down this road a few times and it ultimately never leads to any good, and no matter the outcome everybody loses. I don't feel the need to change the reviews or scores, and since you seem to feel strongly about the entire matter, the best solution is to submit your own review and let a third party mediate and decide.

Micky C

I still don't know how my second map Libraryl got 85. It was slightly noobish, moderately basic, but ok I still like the gameplay and layout. Makes me want to work on a lone vanilla/dukeplus map again rather than all these TC and collaboration maps I've got myself caught up in.

Wow, I just had an idea while writing this post. I've been tossing up for a while between a desert map and an outer space map (outer space would look especially good with polymer lighting due to those shiny space textures in the HRP), but I've got the solution: A base inside an asteroid in outerspace! I can still have my space station and make desert-like areas  :D
Now I just need to actually finish my other half dozen projects  :-\

I don't know why I'm posting this here  ???
Wall whore.

Forge

Don't get me wrong EddyZ. It doesn't bother me that you have a disagreement with some of the reviews.

I'm not shooting you down off hand. Right now it's one person's view against another. If you can rally a couple of the regulars behind your cause I'd be more inclined to take a second look at the maps in question. Otherwise, you can do as I suggested earlier and submit your own review for Puritan to decide.

MSandt

Quote from: zykoveddy on  10 July 2012, 19:34:16
Again, the new map called Desert complex came out, and you rated it 97. I played this map and it's decent. But rate 97 and higher belongs to milestones like Blackend, not to a decent maps like this.

I don't think there's much difference between the two. Blackend was perhaps even slightly less "milestonish" back in the days because, quite frankly, it was just another Alejandro map.

Damn... Ale released such a good bunch of high-quality maps in such a short time span. Those were the days.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Well, I'm not that impressed of Ale's maps.
Gameplay is close to nothing...
But the design and texturing is top-notch.( more like a Build show-off)

Yeah, I know, his maps had the over the top design and ambience back in the days. Few others made maps with that "look" and attension to details. But again; Good look and zillion of hours spent in making the scenes look good doesn't make up for a lack of story/gameplay.
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

Ale's maps may lack alot of direct environment interactivity and have virtually no secrets which basically eliminates the extended exploring aspect, but they have good combat scenarios and the layout/progression is set up proper for the key card hunts that they are.

Forge

Project:                                                                         Status:                                             Required
    spaceship to fix (DM)                                                        hosted                                           write-up & score   
    Doomed duel(DM)                                                             hosted                                           write-up & score
    Hell Awaits(DM)                                                               hosted                                           write-up & score
    Suburban Hive (cbp)                                                         hosted                                           write-up & score
    Surburban Hive II : Crimson Moon (cbp)                                hosted                                           write-up & score
    CBP8:Metropolitan Starlight (cbp)                                        hosted                                           write-up & score

i don't play DM, I don't review cbp maps I've participated in. if you have the bug, feel free to submit a review for these hosted projects

Merlijn

I'm not sure if anyone still plays DM, you could always write a small review based on design and layout.

As for the CBP's: I'd be willing to review them, but I also contributed to each of them and witnessed their progress so I can't be objective. Maybe ask Gambini to write a review for CBP8?