News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: DavoX on  22 May 2013, 06:01:58
I don't know if I ever released "Chili factor" but if I did you should definitely give it a go :D
i remember asking for it a long time ago, but you said there were things that you wanted to do it first....and that was the last i heard about it.
you gave it out to a few friends, but there was never a real public release.

i don't know where i got it, but i found the updated 2008 version in the map bog on my HD

i'll toss it in my que folder and give it a whirl when it pops up in the rotation
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

DavoX

Thanks man :) It came out before BAE remake when Gambini and I used to share maps via actual letters and floppy disks  :D

Micky C

What's up with that NewGlory map uploaded and reviewed? From the photos it looks like a total piece of garbage, even using the default ugly brick texture as a floor  :o
http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/N/newglory/newglory.php
Wall whore.

Forge

kinda not fair to judge it strictly by the screen shots - i wouldn't play it just by looking at those, but the review claims it might be interesting if you're into heavy combat styled gaming. you should give it a run through first so you can make more accurate and meaningful criticism.

but on the surface.......
same thing that's up with Supa2 i suppose
http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/supa2/supa2.php

if a mapper made a decent map at some point then everything they released gets archived so you can see their progression. kinda like one of those time capsules you bury in the ground then dig up a decade later to see what's changed.

In this case you can see how he improved in just seven months from New Glory to his next map Volcano Isle

doesn't really matter. i say in about 200 more old single player map releases we'll be out of almost all the quality projects and be scraping around for anything playable. so enjoy the next year while you can, after that it's old TCs and mediocrity with an occasional gem.

i suppose at that time i can review all that stuff ck3d posted up a little while back, I also have a handful of Gambini's old stuff

Puritan

Since Forge has stepped back for a moment to take care of real life there will be no reviews coming from him for a while.
Now, I'm not a reviewer as you might have understood.
I only do a quick DNR styled write up of oldies that I'm familiar with ( got piles of old maps on my HD ready for uploading).
In addition to that I spend parts of my spare time behind the scene with this site already.

If anybody feels like submitting a review you're welcome to do so.
I can promise that I'll upload 'em up as fast as possible  :)

Of course, I'll upload releases to our server with or without reviews.
I feel truly sorry for you who want a review for your released map but it's better for everybody that I keep away from new releases.
( I did a review for a recent map but when I compared it to another review on the web I realized that my score was more than ten points lower.....so I threw it in the thrashcan)
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

i don't feel obligated to look at new releases, they get tossed into the que folder with the rest of the todo reviews. I'm in no rush to get any of them done.
since there's only X number of Duke projects, I'll get to them when i get to them.
if someone wants a specific review done within a certain time-frame, they can ask.
the upside to my lackadaisical attitude is that their project will get fresh exposure sometime in the future, and the site will have an extended influx of uploads before the bottom of the barrel is scraped and the site becomes "dead" like MSDN (having to wait on new releases, focusing on other games,  or rehashing old reviews onto the front page during times of inactivity).

i don't know how many hits this site gets, but the minimal amount of tangible activity on the board makes my admin job negligible
if you want to "fire" me for lack of competence and replace me with someone more active and enthusiastic (like MickyC) I'd agree with your decision, and it won't affect my willingness to sporadically submit reviews when i feel like it

edit: i'm going through a rough patch and i feel like a dickhead for encouraging you to start up this site with my full support then i just walk off leaving you hanging

Micky C

Luckily there aren't that many new releases coming out. And yet I still never have enough time to play them...
Wall whore.

Puritan

On top of everything: My comp has imploded, so there will be no updates at all in the near future.
I can't afford to fix it / buy a new one atm.
Close to Christmas is my best guess.

Micky C

Sorry to hear that. How are you posting then? Phone?
Wall whore.

Puritan

No, I'm logged in from work  ;D

But I can only peep in here for a quick glance in between my tasks.
Can't access database or any other update features on CGS server though  :'(

Forge

i have my M4A78LT-M-ASUS motherboard sitting around if you want it
has onboard video card
can include amd phenom II x2 560 black series cpu that can be unlocked to four core and oc'ed easily to 3.8 stable
have oem windows 7 disc that goes with it (you may have to figure out how to run sysprep.exe on your hard drive to get rid of the old drivers or you may get conflicts)

you'll need your own harddrive, powersupply and ram (those i don't have any extras)

not the newest or best, but better than nothing and can hold you over until you can afford a decent replacement

DavoX

It looks like the DNF DLC will have to wait until christmas then :P

Micky C

Quote from: DavoX on  09 October 2013, 22:37:01
It looks like the DNF DLC will have to wait until christmas then :P

Yep. Christmas 2014  ;)
Wall whore.

Puritan

Hah....Christmas comes early this year.

A colleague of mine brought me an old comp to pick spare parts from.
Looks like it's working  ;)

Forge

and what did she want in return that we shouldn't be telling your girl friend?  ;) 8)