Reviews and Submissions

Started by Forge, 08 December 2011, 16:29:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: LeoD on  08 May 2014, 16:22:46
The Library map reviewed here is a modified version of LIBRARY.MAP contained in Sunstorm Interactive's Duke Xtreme (same layout, pickups modified).
I have at least four different versions of this map
the one hosted here
one dated 9/21/99
one dated 1/10/04
one dated 2/19/97

and not one template or watermark with some author identification to be found
that's the stuff that makes me shake my head - make your own map or at least give credit to the person/entity it was taken from
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

LeoD

Quote from: Forge on  08 May 2014, 18:02:08I have at least four different versions of this map
the one hosted here
one dated 9/21/99
one dated 1/10/04
one dated 2/19/97
My version is dated 1997-02-03, the accompanying LIBRARY.TXT is 1997-02-19. Therefore I assume the last entry on your list being identical to mine (93690 byte). Robert Travis used to sign his maps, so LIBRARY.MAP is supposed made by a Sunstorm mapper who is not RT.
Polymost HRP / Z-Pack: customize your HRP  |  User Map Maphacks
"Redneck Rampage has chickens. If you put a chicken in Duke3D then it's Duke3D with a chicken."

Forge

i found the one dated 97 with a text file, but just a minor map description:

Library - DM

A DukeMatch in a small library. A central, stacks area provides an arena, while side galleries allow for ambushes. 4 hidden areas.

it's in the same format as other sunstorm DM map texts, but didn't have the Sunstorm monicker. I think that's typical though, some did, some didn't include the name.

this is the template i have with an old version of Anslem X:

Anslem X - DM
by Sunstorm Interactive

Anslem X is the acclaimed Dukematch level based on the popular single player version Anslem. Anslem X won the esteemed TEN level design contest, and was named the best Dukematch level ever!

this is the template for under ice by sunstorm:

Under Ice - DM

Ice fishing Duke Nukem Style.  Features several icehouses, a cabin and other goodies, perfect for match play.

my gripe is the later editions of Library probably weren't done by Sunstorm and no credit was given to them for borrowing/modifying their map

methy

I had no idea Library was made by a Sunstorm member. No wonder why I love it so much :p (at least the version I know of it, the one on DNR; the modified version is horrible)
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Micky C

The screenshots for Dukecraft don't have the new colour palate which makes all the colours look much, much more vibrant. Is there a chance of this being fixed?
Wall whore.

Forge

his template didn't specify which renderer to use, so i played it in 8bit.

you can play it in 32bit, take some screenshots, email them to Puritan, and ask if he'll change them out.

a ) i don't feel like playing it again just for screenshots when i have other maps on my plate to do that use up my free time.
b ) you have just a good a chance as i do to convince Puritan to re-upload fresh screenshots

LeoD

The download link of "Bob Deathmatch 1" by Bob Averill points to dukeprox.zip.
Polymost HRP / Z-Pack: customize your HRP  |  User Map Maphacks
"Redneck Rampage has chickens. If you put a chicken in Duke3D then it's Duke3D with a chicken."

Puritan

Quote from: LeoD on  09 September 2014, 00:55:46
The download link of "Bob Deathmatch 1" by Bob Averill points to dukeprox.zip.

Fixed.

Thanks  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

You know I rarely ever drink, and when I do it's usually not enough to make me loopy. If you'd provide me an access point to bunge uploads these things wouldn't happen as often as they do.  ;)

Tgreyhair

Hi everyone

Is this the right place to submit reviews for user maps, I found some of the user maps don't have a review yet so I thought I do one myself for the map Zero, a deathmatch one.

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/Z/zero/zero.php

Here's the review here.

An interesting deathmatch level, one that may of been overlooked as being not that good a level, I think it's a good level as it's meant as a deathmatch. It has a few interesting places to explore such as the skate park, library and many other places also on your first attempt you probably will not of discovered everything about this map but despite this the map is somewhat small but do not let that put you off. One area will remind you of the very famous level three (Death row) church area where you can hide behind one of the glass panes, mind you this could be unfair to your opponents. You can have upto eight or probably more players but I would recommend three at most as things do get a bit crazy. There is small hiding places you can use also do not forget to get to the Center of the map where you can find the skeleton face and once you jump into the eyes you will find some guns. If ever there was a game of hide n seek this would be an interesting map to do it in, not too big, not too small.

For it being a deathmatch, it's a rather good map as you have your weapons, plenty of areas to explore and plenty of killing. (Duke loves to kill people) make sure you give this one a try if you like your deathmatch.
70% score   

Puritan

Thank you, Tgreyhair  :)
Your review is uploaded.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Tgreyhair

Tgreyhair

Here was another review I had but it's a map I don't think is popular.

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/O/omega/omega.php

Omega is a deathmatch level that has a few areas to explore but do be careful not to fall off the structure. It has its share of hidden places but nothing special, It can get confusing going through the teleporters but that's what it's all about, that way you can trick your opponents. There are one or two hidden places to explore but nothing special again in that regard. It might not work that well with computer bots as the bots tend to walk off edges as it tends to be something they do not recognise because of the A.I.

The bad could outweigh the good because it can be a very difficult setup to play against a human playing but do give it a try for a quick dukematch. Watch your friend fall to their death once you trick them in this map.

41% score

(Would this be okay to upload?)

Many thanks.

Puritan

Quote from: Tgreyhair on  02 February 2015, 01:41:08
(Would this be okay to upload?)

Many thanks.

Of course it's okay.
Thank you very much for your review.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Tgreyhair

(Here's a third review for a map I decided to do. The map is Arene)

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/A/arene/arene.php

This deathmatch map will get you straight to the action no waiting long or looking around the map for too long as most of the action takes place in the arena. The architecture in this map is very good as it represents a somewhat Roman or Greek style amphitheatre with a few differences such as your two teleporters where you could maybe perform a few tricks on your opponents. In my own view I would say that this map would work well if it was only two players but you can have upto eight players or more but that would make the game very crazy as it's only a small map. The arena sometimes may not be the best place to be as a lot of the goodies are up on the higher section where you can find jetpacks, more atomic healths and plenty more goodies.

Apart from the design of the map being good its a rather small map that might probably have taking the score down, If you do not want a map where you are searching for ever to find your opponent then this is the map for you and your friends. It works well playing against a computer.

Have to give credit to the architecture,it is well designed.

65%