Random Snaps

Started by Puritan, 09 December 2011, 03:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambini

Quote from: Forge on  08 March 2012, 15:48:30
Has the local pedestrian traffic been warned?  :)

:P

Cheers Mikko. That´s a very good car you got there, and it seems to be in mint condition.

MSandt

Yeah it's in good condition and I really like the automatic transmission system even though I had never used one before (almost all cars here are manual).
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

I drove manuals for so long that I'm preferential to them. Driving an automatic I occasionally find myself reaching for the shift lever that isn't there.

I find they're better than automatics if you have to rock yourself out of snow or mud.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

I was going to say "Automatic? psssdd" but the only body feeling i have right now is a pain in my left foot caused by pressing the clutch pedal so many hours at my job. An automatic transmision would come handy here  ;)

QuoteI find they're better than automatics if you have to rock yourself out of snow or mud.

Except by comfort I find manual transmission better in every way.

Puritan

Me and my guitar gently weeps  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Hey guys.
I think this is a somewhat familiar texture?
It's a snap taken from a building across the street where I'm living  ;)

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Is that ZZ Top? I know them because they performed the far west band in Back to the Future 3.  8)

Puritan

Yes it is.
A wonderful outdoor gig in sunny weather and with lots of beer  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

I've been up in the mountains here in Norway the last few days.
We've been staying at my brothers cabin.
The altitude where I'm standing is 1100 meters above sea-level.
The peaks covered with snow is about 2000 meters above sea-level.

Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

^The lake in the image above is artificial.
It's a huge hydro power plant at the far left end of the lake.
Sadly, the power plant isn't spectacular as most of it is located inside a mountain.
The reason would be that it is very hard to bomb or sabotage a facility that is covered by hundreds of meters of solid rock, I assume.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Has the reservoir been stocked with fish? It looks like a nice place to go out on a boat all day trolling around with a few lines in the water and a few beers at hand.

Puritan

The company that is responsible for the power plant had to sign a contract with the Norwegian government that they have to keep the lake "alive" as long as they're making electricity out of the water from this lake.
So, they are paying local environmental organizations for raising and put thousands of trouts into the lake each year.
It's hard for trout to reproduce since the water level is constantly changing. The company have permission to lower the water level with up to 28 meters  :o .
Trouts are feeding on vegetation / insects that is close to shore, sometimes huge chunks of the  population would starve to death since the shoreline is a "desert" every now and then.
Trout also tends to reproduce in shallow waters. So, their eggs would be on dry land before they know it.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

28 meters? There aren't any fish that could successfully sustain their population with that sort of water level drop.

Can they do it any time they want or do they have to wait until after spawning season?

Seems like it would be cheaper in the long run to make some artificial spawning beds that wouldn't be affected by the water level.

Puritan

They can do it anytime.
Having said that: The water level is more connected to rain/snow/glaciers than any "profit plans".

There is an artificial spawning bed on-shore ran by the mentioned environmental organizations.
Don't know exactly how many trouts they're putting into the lake each year, but it is thousands.
Many of them survives the water drop so it's possible to catch fish weighting in around 4-5 kilo's.

My brother is a friend of the owners of this lake and next summer he told me that I can borrow his cabin for a few days.
He would also give the owners a call so I can borrow a boat and do some real fishing on spots recommended by the owners ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

All that sounds quite awesome. Reminds me my times living next to the hydroplant.