What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Oh I didn't notice people made comments about my map until now. I hope those people actually played the map and didn't just comment on the screenshot  :P

Towards the end of development of that mini map, I realized that based on the very short amount of time it'd take to finish the map (2-3 minutes), the amount of people who would play the map (not a huge amount), and the fact that pretty much all the focus is on the gameplay, it wouldn't be worth the time polishing of minor things like slightly misaligned textures and the sort.

You're spending a lot of the time moving quickly and not looking at the scenery anyway. And the vast majority of the map was copy-paste aided. Either way, it has lots of pulsating lights to help draw your attention to the lack of details for anyone who's played it.

It's still a recommended play through, gameplay is fast and has a lot of variety packed into it for such a small map.
Wall whore.

Loke

Finally started working on the Thing map again. Set my mind on actually finishing it as well and not going on yet another stupid hiatus with it. Finishing up the recreation room though there's still a shitload of rooms left. This is probably going to take 5000 years to complete considering all the sprite work that's ahead. Prepare the stasis tubes, fellas!

Forge

I seen the screen shots at Duke4, you should post them here as well. They're pretty nice
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Yeah, I uploaded a shot of the dog kennel there. It's the only that hasn't had any changes. The other screens are kinda old though and don't represent the current look.

I will probably change the ceiling lamps down the road though seeing as they're destructible.

Puritan

It's a pitty that it isn't possible to make those lamps indestructible.
They are pretty cool looking.
I avoid 'em because the lights/shadowed sectors looks just stupid if an explotion occurs  :P 

Screenie looks cool, though  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Has anyone tried to break this lamp?

Actually you can do it if you try inveterately. So no need to prove nothing. But for any player with normal impulses it will be unbreakable and that´s what matters.

In case you want to use the trick, it´s simply surrounded by a block of hitscan invisible sprites.

Loke

Hm, nice trick. I'll probably settle for a sprite-based lamp though since some areas will have explosions that might destroy it in the process. Thanks anyway.

Puritan

Quote from: Gambini on  01 March 2012, 02:00:51

In case you want to use the trick, it´s simply surrounded by a block of hitscan invisible sprites.

Ah...of course! I should have thought of that.
Thanks for sharing, Gambini  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Started to work on the second of three maps for my mini-episode. I'm actually doing this in reverse-order so the third map is done, this is the second map and the first one will be made after this.

As you can tell, this is early-on in the level's creation, half the reason I post this stuff is that it kind of forces me to keep working and not give up. This is a space station map, the gravity changes depending on where you are in the map and may be manipulated by the player to an extent which allows for some different mechanics.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Made another mini map. It uses polymer and TROR and requires you to fall down an interesting shaft.

Here's the post at Duke4.net for more info: http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5234-release-mini-map-pack/page__view__findpost__p__123645
Wall whore.

High Treason

One month on, I haven't got very far with this map, I might release these as individual maps, so you'd be getting the third one first and the first one last and then combine them into an episode when they are all done. I'm giving it serious thought as I am kind of losing motivation and even though I have all my concept scribbles, I am having a hard time making this map big enough... Unless I could merge it with the first level, which will probably weigh in around the same size.

The only problem with individual releases is that there is custom CON and Art in use that would have to be used and I know this puts people off.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

It looks nice. Cons, art, & short maps you want to combine.

Just a couple suggestions:

Maybe convert this project to Dukeplus (and use the fade out transition to connect the maps).

Take a break and work on something else until you feel inspired again.

Sanek

Hi all...
Well...it's not exactly what I'm workin' on right now, but I and some another fellows worked on it 6 month before!
It was done(in order) by Merlijn, MRCK(1), Mr. Ouja(2), Sanek(3, 4, 5, 8 ), Mike Norvak(partly 8 ) and Lezing(6, 7)!
It was huge, hard production for us.We worked on it from summer to winter of 2011. We need alot of mapper to work on each map.
Eventually we closed it, but we ready to continue if we have more people...

What you think about it?

Forge

Looks cool. I don't know what kind of response you'll get here. There are several active mappers and a good portion of mappers that work on stuff at a slower pace with a more laid back work ethic.

This is the "home" of the current CBP 8, but the call for mappers mainly went out at Duke4. You could do the same. Recruit at Duke4 and host here where the distractions are fewer.

MSandt

Some good looking stuff there, I hope it doesn't end up going to waste.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark