What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Arghantyl

I am agreed to finish it but i'm a bit intrigued by these screenshoots.

It seems to go everywhere....
Another day,another challenge.

David B.

Hi everybody. I've just registered.

I'm the author David B. who released a map in 2008 (I'm in the listing :) )
I'm still nostalgic about Duke Nukem, major graphics improvements give a new life to this game.
Five weeks ago (and after 4 years) I decided to create a new map.

It's an high school with its corridors & classrooms full of vermin. It's not intended to be a big level, but I intend
to make a good 15 min playing time.

I'm surprised a lot of people are still creating or downloading duke maps in 2012. And that's a good thing.

So, would you be interested by this release ?
Another question : I often see screenshot's map in the ancient "software mode". Do you rarely use HRP or Polymer when playing ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

methy

looks promising

i hope it doesn't require polymer to be played
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

Very nice shots, David  ;)  ..and welcome aboard!

Polymer is far from being finished atm. It requires quite some resources from your comp.
I'll guess many of the good ol' guys around here prefer the classic mode when creating maps.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Myloo999 on  25 April 2012, 19:09:27
Hi everybody. I've just registered.

Hi. Welcome aboard.

So, would you be interested by this release ?

Yes. Please have it beta-tested first though.

Another question : I often see screenshot's map in the ancient "software mode". Do you rarely use HRP or Polymer when playing ?

I play the maps using the software mode as default unless the map is either too dark or has bad sprite issues (because certain aspects of software mode are broke).
If it's stated in the template that certain modes are required, then I play using what the author recommends.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Hey David have you heard about TROR? It's a new feature that came out last year that allows for 3D map design in the classic and polymer renderers. There have only been a few maps released with it so far because a lot of the so-called "veteran" mappers are too lazy to learn how to use it  :P

For maps which use the feature, look up Parkade and Retaliation in the map listings.

Between these two guides you should be able to pick it up:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/3911-true-room-over-room/page__p__85283__hl__tror__fromsearch__1#entry85283
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/True_Room_Over_Room_Mapping_Guide
Wall whore.

Forge

Are you calling me a "mapper"?
I'm honored, but you shouldn't toss that title around so carelessly.  :)

I'm not lazy, I'm "retired".
I keep trying to quit and they keep dragging me back with those CBP's.  :P
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

David B.

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll send the map when it will be finished, for testing.
I'm disturbed with some minors bugs (I'm in HRP 16 bits by default) which disappear in software mode, but happily it doesn't affect the game.
I try to find a solution.

Quote from: Micky C on  26 April 2012, 00:34:33
Hey David have you heard about TROR? It's a new feature that came out last year that allows for 3D map design in the classic and polymer renderers. There have only been a few maps released with it so far because a lot of the so-called "veteran" mappers are too lazy to learn how to use it  :P

I've never heard about TROR. I seems to be very interesting, cause I often wanted to create room over room and I used elevators with teleporter to make the illusion...
I'll have a look on this feature.

But is it still possible to recover a 80% finished map (much work done !) made under mapster32 and complete the work with TROR ?
Cause I have now to add a floor level, normally by using the elevator's trick...

David B.

MSandt

Do note that if you go for TROR, you immediately raise the requirement to Polymer.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

That is ridiculous. The AMC TC uses TROR in many areas and in all of them except one, it works flawlessly in classic mode. Even in that one area where HOM occurs (the stairs down to the teleporter in the hub map behind the help desk where you start the tutorial mission) it can be fixed by splitting up the sectors. I think even your map in the TC makes small use of it.

Just because something uber complicated like parkade.map doesn't work in classic, doesn't mean TROR can't be extremely stable in that renderer. It just means that the TROR has to be slightly simpler, or if something more complex is required, the sectors can be split for extra stability. Sometimes the splitting isn't even necessary where you'd think it would be because Helix did such a good job with it.
Wall whore.

Gambini

ehmmm... and what about polymost?

TROR is a good concept but it doesn´t work in Polymost (which i believe it is the most used engine) plus its workability in software is very limited. So, you make your map for TROR you make it for the %20 that likes Polymer.

MSandt

I don't play in the classic mode.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  27 April 2012, 01:19:34
ehmmm... and what about polymost?

TROR is a good concept but it doesn´t work in Polymost (which i believe it is the most used engine) plus its workability in software is very limited. So, you make your map for TROR you make it for the %20 that likes Polymer.

You underestestimate TROR's ability in the classic renderer. You won't be able to make large cities with multiple story buildings (small cities should be possible), but it's definitely good for indoor stuff.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Oh, MickyC, you really do have an unhealthy obsession with TROR ;D

Anyway, let's not forget who released the firs map with any from of True Room over Room both in Polymer and Polymost/Classic... Granted they were a horrible couple of maps, but that was because the mapper was still a noob - but he did it long before TROR was even implemented. I wonder who it was. ;) :P

@Myloo999; Any new map is a good thing, I like to see that new maps are made and released. As for the use of TROR, in my experience you should only really try to use it if your map was designed for it from the start, I personally don't touch it as I feel it is a poor implementation and it always breaks my map, you may have a different experience.

I still forget I'm not mapping for Blood sometimes, I can't tell you how many time's I've pressed Alt + F6 and wondered why the XSystem settings don't appear.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Sanek