News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

MSandt

That looks very good, particularly all the signs of destruction, and that blue sky is underused in usermaps (looks very good there).
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Cool to see new maps on the drawing table.
Looking good  ;)
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

I like the first and third shot. looking out on nothing but blue sky in the second shot just appears odd; like you're standing on the edge of the world or something. It could use some low background scenery imo.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that second shot either. Perhaps I'm going to add some background to it.

Thanks for the comments guys, I must say I'm very pleased with the results so far. I love working with that blue sky.

David B.

I'm also working on two city/industrial style maps, focusing for the moment on one of them. The other one put aside is even more crazy using TROR features.

But as I'm a fanatic of realism and details - and have to develop on the other side my sense of gameplay which is my downside - I'm now aware that I'll probably not release those maps before months, even a year, considering I have other activities to deal with.

The main problem in mapping is the time massive consumption, and it's probably the reason why the releases are so rare.

At the occasion, I'll also post some screenshots about what has been already done. It's deeply nice but each street's yard take centuries to be done... I'm going ahead inches by inches.

I'm finally wondering if I shouldn't take three years like Gambini did, work calmly and push each project to the end of its possibilities, and say when finished : here is THE map !

David B.

Loke

Some progress on my map though regrettably I haven't worked on it for months due to other projects intervening. Hopefully I'll be finished with that soon so I can return to good 'ol Mapster32 without having to worry about other shit. There's a few areas of the map that I'm not entirely confident with so I'll probably be doing a sweeping through the map to see which parts need refining or redoing altogether as a few areas definitely don't hold up in quality compared to parts I've added recently. The sector/wall limit is making me scared though.  :-\

methy

That's one map I'm eagerly waiting for
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

@Loke
that looks real nice. well detailed. nice construction and spritework. the only downside I can see is that's it looks too crowded to move around in there comfortably.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

methy

Good point. I remember Loke saying he didn't have gameplay in mind at all for this map and that he might even release it without monsters.
I guess it shows here and the way the map will end up playing might suffer from it
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Gambini

Absolutely love it. Makes me want to do another map ala It lives.

I hope you find a way to put some action though. Bobsp1 was awesomely good looking, but also devaluated because it lacked action.

MikeNorvak

I have just one nitpicking: that trash can looks ugly compared to the utterly perfect spritework in the surroundings, maybe you could make a rectangular one with sprites, other than that it looks amazing, remind me of It Lives also, but (sorry Gambini :P) even more detailed?.....

About your wall count, maybe you could remove some areas from the map.

Gambini

It looks much more detailed than any room from It lives that I remember. The only bummer is that, as mentioned above, It looks very cramped. I can´t see how the player could move from that entrance to the point where the shot was taken without jumping and clipping all those sprites.

Still, i hope this post doesnt counts towards his conviction of not putting monsters. I´d love to play this map with some memorable action.

Loke

Thanks y'all. Many, if not most of the sprites are non-solid so you can just walk through them without bumping into them. Yeah, it's kinda unrealistic but since the inside of the building is often cramped with a clusterfuck of sprites I thought it was a fairly viable option.

QuoteI hope you find a way to put some action though.

I don't plan on doing it but of course stuff might change down the road. When I get back to it I mostly plan on finishing up the actual architecture/detailing so if there would be any gameplay it'd probably just be an afterthought.

Quote...that trash can looks ugly...

Hehe, I actually planned on doing my own but I couldn't be bothered at that moment so I placed that old trash can there temporarily. ;D
Funnily, if you'd remove all of the sprites in this room it'd look incredible bare. Pretty amazing what you can do with simple sprites really.

Mister Sinister

Is this going to be something like a quest map?
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Loke

Honestly, I'm not sure how to describe it; explore-type map with nonexistent gameplay? In the end it's more or less supposed to be an homage specifically made for John Carpenter and fans of the movie.