What are you working on.

Started by Puritan, 15 December 2011, 13:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

For a long time I just spent my time on a canyon-type map. It's a very big map, but don't have much details, and I'm not sure if anyone wants to spent his time in the three/four textures. Abadoned at this moment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

I like the jagged edges of the first and second shots  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

Quote from: Sanek on  16 November 2012, 19:53:54For a long time I just spent my time on a canyon-type map. It's a very big map, but don't have much details, and I'm not sure if anyone wants to spent his time in the three/four textures. Abadoned at this moment.

So far I think it has a solid basis. Would you mind sending the map over to me? I'd like to take a look at it through mapster, might be able to suggest some ideas, but I'm not promising much. Throw me a PM if you're interested.

Sanek

Quote from: Puritan on  16 November 2012, 19:58:36
I like the jagged edges of the first and second shots  ;)
Oh..thanks. :)

Quote from: quakis on  16 November 2012, 20:11:09
So far I think it has a solid basis. Would you mind sending the map over to me? I'd like to take a look at it through mapster, might be able to suggest some ideas, but I'm not promising much. Throw me a PM if you're interested.
Sure I can sent it. Check your PM..

Forge

Those are some nice looking canyons. some stronger shading contrasts and they'd be excellent. [thumbsup.gif]
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

zykoveddy

Quote from: Loke on  15 November 2012, 15:20:06
Some progress on my map though regrettably I haven't worked on it for months due to other projects intervening. Hopefully I'll be finished with that soon so I can return to good 'ol Mapster32 without having to worry about other shit. There's a few areas of the map that I'm not entirely confident with so I'll probably be doing a sweeping through the map to see which parts need refining or redoing altogether as a few areas definitely don't hold up in quality compared to parts I've added recently. The sector/wall limit is making me scared though.  :-\

Looks great, can't wait to play this :D
These 3d spritework lamps look interesting, btw. Never seen anything like that in a Duke map before
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Loke

Thanks eddy. I originally used those black industrial ceiling lamps but since they're destructible (annoyingly) I decided to construct my own instead.

Forge

I like making stuff during my free time. nothing special so it gets deleted when i get bored with it

Micky C

Looks fancy! Does it use TROR?
Wall whore.

High Treason

Ditched the prison map for now, gone back to my other map, finished two buildings now (with some visual gimmicks), most of the way through the third, probably only another three large structures left to do. I don't expect visual detailing to be very high on this map, I am playing with sounds quite extensively though. I'll finish at least one of these, not sure how long that will take as I've got more appointments coming up soon (spending a lot of time in NHS buildings right now).

Wonder if anyone realised this and the prison were built off of the same base.

@Forge; Looks good, I'd be very impressed if that stuff up at the ceiling was spritework.

Oh, also I missed @Loke; That looks damn impressive, makes me feel a bit like throwing both my maps in the trash and walking away :D. I don't know how you guys do it.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

That looks really cool HT. I´d just try to add "something" to that monotone ceiling.

Quote from: Forge on  28 November 2012, 16:17:12
I like making stuff during my free time. nothing special so it gets deleted when i get bored with it

You don´t fool anyone. You´re mapping again and we know it.  ;D

Forge

It's all sprite work, no TROR. It's also layered so there's no noticeable clipping issues when crossing sector lines for the most part.

Just something I mess around with in my spare time and it's not viable to be used as a real map. Aside from some minor areas, like a small under water section, it's basically one big room. I'm not even finished with it (if you look around you can see where I stopped construction and the mess w/loose sprites, blank & untextured walls, lack of detailing, etc.) and it's already pushing 3,000 walls and 3,000 sprites. At that rate a four or five room map wouldn't be worth playing other than to look at.

Forge

I like it HT. Agree with Gambini about the ceiling. Maybe play around with the shading to break up the "flatness" of its look.

edit:
Quote from: Gambini on  29 November 2012, 04:20:10
You don´t fool anyone. You´re mapping again and we know it.  ;D

HA! If that were true I'd post my screen shots at Duke4 so I could suck up some free rep points for taking nice pictures.  ;)

Gambini

Our lives are worth nothing without rep points. Never forget that my son!  :D

Micky C

@Forge, maybe if you didn't delete those works when you were bored with them eventually you could make a FBP? (Forge Build Project).
Actually I'd love to take a look at that area to see how you did that spritework without having any visual clipping/flickering bugs.

While I'm posting, I know this is the wrong thread, but I've finished the lighting job of Drek's Knee Deep in the Dead map. I estimate it has around 1200 lights, which I can get away with due to the simple, undetailed architecture and typically narrow corridors with lots of ceiling doors. I think it looks fantastic, but I'll wait for Gambini's seal of approval  :P

Unfortunately it's behaving like I've hit a maximum light count since lights started disappearing near the start and more kept going away the more I put in, so that definitely needs to be sorted first. I've got some screenshots but I'm resisting the urge to post them.
Wall whore.